Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.

    Bone dry and overcast in Dublin and not that cold. Still over 3 degrees in an E/NE wind. Radar watching will begin after dinner tonight!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Right, tomorrow is planned. We're rising early, and if the snow (as expected) hasn't given us enough to play in (my lads are snow starved) then we're heading to higher climates and we're building a sn

    I’m disappointed with the snow here today but not as disappointed as my wife will be tomorrow with her valentines present 😬

    It's now snowing. Light enough, but a dusting is now accruing. Radar looks like it could sustain for a while. Will report back in a half hour and may take the dog out for a ramble if it peps up! There

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland

    Yep, tiniest flakes/graupel in Bangor, right down to the coast.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.

    Still just over 3 degrees, but the dew point is -3. Like you WW, a few tiny grains floating about in the wind now. No sign of streamers yet anywhere along the coast.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland
    5 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

    Still just over 3 degrees, but the dew point is -3. Like you WW, a few tiny grains floating about in the wind now. No sign of streamers yet anywhere along the coast.

    Intensity picking up around the Downpatrick region. Unless it is moderate to heavy in intesity it isn't going to lye. Graupel here melting as it hits surface.

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
  • Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland
    Just now, Eastantrim4 said:

    Tiny grains floating about in the wind here in Larne too. I thought we were gonna miss this and it would have been Down and Armagh for the North...

    I don't think it is streamers just yet. May just be high thin clouds unleashing their load as they hit land. Possobility that Downpatrick area is starting to see convection from the sea.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Derry
  • Location: Derry

    Hopefully a few of you see some lying snow. Might see a few heavier bursts soon going by the radar. 

    Screenshot_20210207_151243_com.netweather.snowradar.jpg

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Downpatrick
  • Location: Downpatrick

    Fine snow grains in Downpatrick and getting heavier with sky a lot darker ! hopefully 24 hours streamers on the way for us! 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
    30 minutes ago, ronan said:

    Hopefully a few of you see some lying snow. Might see a few heavier bursts soon going by the radar. 

    Screenshot_20210207_151243_com.netweather.snowradar.jpg

    It is very very light stuff, barely graupel. The air is so dry that I think the moisture is evaporating before it reaches the ground. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tyrone
  • Location: Tyrone
    6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    It is very very light stuff, barely graupel. The air is so dry that I think the moisture is evaporating before it reaches the ground. 

    Sadly that's what most easterlies bring all eyes on Thursday only realistic chance for snow here.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: County Londonderry 36m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
  • Location: County Londonderry 36m ASL

    Never heard of graupel until this winter. Had to research it.

    65AF7260-793C-462D-B6C6-45F86816386D.jpeg

    Edited by Northwest NI
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Derry 106m asl
  • Location: Derry 106m asl

    I know not everybody is a fan of our current set up and I will probably get sick of it in a couple of days but ....it was nice to go for a big walk today without the fear of getting trench foot 👍

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
    12 minutes ago, booferking said:

    Sadly that's what most easterlies bring all eyes on Thursday only realistic chance for snow here.

    Unfortunately, the front on Thursday/Friday doesn't look like reaching us now. Dies out as it pushes North  East. Some snow for Southern counties though on the 12z GFS.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tyrone
  • Location: Tyrone
    21 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    Unfortunately, the front on Thursday/Friday doesn't look like reaching us now. Dies out as it pushes North  East. Some snow for Southern counties though on the 12z GFS.

    In all my years following the models & on netweather i have never seen such an expansive cold pool to our east moving this way that is truly extraordinary.👀

    gfs-1-210.png

    Edited by booferking
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Derry
  • Location: Derry
    18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    Unfortunately, the front on Thursday/Friday doesn't look like reaching us now. Dies out as it pushes North  East. Some snow for Southern counties though on the 12z GFS.

    It's only one run but. Will be plenty of changes between now and Thursday. There will be quite a few on here getting in on the action on this run. 

    Screenshot_20210207_162358.jpg

    Edited by ronan
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
    13 minutes ago, booferking said:

    In all my years following the models & on netweather i have never seen such an expansive cold pool to our east moving this way that is truly extraordinary.👀

    gfs-1-210.png

    Another Easterly.  No thanks!

    Was March 2013 not deep cold like that?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tyrone
  • Location: Tyrone
    3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    Another Easterly.  No thanks!

    Was March 2013 not deep cold like that?

    2013 was extreme but this this cold pool dislodges itself from the main Siberian vortex and a massive area of the cold pool marches towards us never in my day have i seen this.

    archivesnh-2018-3-18-0-1.png

    archivesnh-2018-3-17-12-1.png

    gfsnh-1-204.png

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Kilkenny, Ireland
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
  • Location: South Kilkenny, Ireland
    23 minutes ago, ronan said:

    It's only one run but. Will be plenty of changes between now and Thursday. There will be quite a few on here getting in on the action on this run. 

    Screenshot_20210207_162358.jpg

    Yeah GFS is a super run..  stays cold throughout...UKMO good for Thursday getting milder on Friday...GEM was best this morning now pushes milder air through quickly by Friday.....lets see what ECM brings but this will chop and change for days to come  

    Edited by Summer Snow
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Antrim Town
  • Location: Antrim Town

    Would it be fair to say models have been struggling for some time? Look at difference in weather apps met office and BBC weekly forecast. All must use different models and have differing reads. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: County Londonderry 36m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
  • Location: County Londonderry 36m ASL
    2 minutes ago, gman144 said:

    Would it be fair to say models have been struggling for some time? Look at difference in weather apps met office and BBC weekly forecast. All must use different models and have differing reads. 

    I find those weather apps to be appallingly bad summer and winter.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Larne
  • Location: Larne

    My sister lives in New Jersey and is currently bombarding the family WhatsApp with the snow they're getting... Over 20 inches... Does this not usually result in more energy in the Atlantic for us? 😒

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
    5 minutes ago, Xciteuk said:

    My sister lives in New Jersey and is currently bombarding the family WhatsApp with the snow they're getting... Over 20 inches... Does this not usually result in more energy in the Atlantic for us? 😒

    It all depends on the long wave pattern.

    If the pattern is flat then Yes, the lows will steamroll over the Atlantic.

    However, there is a lot of amplification in the pattern at the moment (MJO 7), and the NE USA low is very slow moving which allows a ridge to form in the Atlantic which then supports the Scandi heights.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
    8 minutes ago, Xciteuk said:

    My sister lives in New Jersey and is currently bombarding the family WhatsApp with the snow they're getting... Over 20 inches... Does this not usually result in more energy in the Atlantic for us? 😒

    It can help fire up the jet, with rapid cyclogenesis but not always, once the block is in place, it can be difficult to shake anyway. 

    Nothing showing up on the radar yet, was expecting to see some streamers develop by now. Will look again after dinner.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...