Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
2 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Word has got out in the bird community, I now have lesser redpolls, chaffinches, blackbirds and tree sparrows joining the linnets, goldfinches and tits at the feeders,  notable that there are no greenfinch, is their population in decline ☹

Yeah Pom, Greenfinches have been in decline in recent times. Believe they get a disease from Woodpigeons which prevents them from feeding properly unfortunately. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Donegal said:

3c here and rain close now. A spell of snow on the higher hills possible before it turns back to rain.

Will only be 1c when it reaches the East but dew points rising ahead of it. Imagine it stalled!

I remember when I lived in Jersey in the Channel Islands in the late 90s and a warm front was pushing East against continental cold and it against all forecasts it stalled to the West of the island for 12 hours and buried the island. I'm guessing with modern computers, that will never happen again.

Posted
15 minutes ago, BFS/BHD said:

Yeah Pom, Greenfinches have been in decline in recent times. Believe they get a disease from Woodpigeons which prevents them from feeding properly unfortunately. 

Funnily enough there are a couple of collared doves in the garden, wonder do they spread the same disease,  plenty of woodpigeons in the local fields as well, poor greenfinch

Posted
19 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Funnily enough there are a couple of collared doves in the garden, wonder do they spread the same disease,  plenty of woodpigeons in the local fields as well, poor greenfinch

No lack of birds around here. Garden full of finches, tits, robins. Herons down the road in the Lagan as well.

• Like 2

Posted

This looks lovely!  I'm sure it will change on the next run lol

overview_20210112_12_318.jpg

overview_20210112_12_312.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
54 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Just the Woodpigeon as far as I know. 

Chilly evening here. Down to 1c. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, BFS/BHD said:

Yeah the disease is called Trichomonosis and was the reason Greenfinches (in particular) took such a blow to the population around 2006/7. Think it was the largest scale mortality of birds due to disease on record (in the UK), and it's continuing to this day to reduce their numbers sadly. They believe woodpigeons, doves etc are prone to the disease, but the main way it infects other birds is through dirty feeders and water containers/baths so it is really important to keep everything clean. Also a good idea is to have multiple feeders (or rotate existing ones) to prevent the build up of contamination in any one area, and to stop a lot of birds gathering on one feeder.

We had one stuck in our feeder in November, friendly little thing and was hardly scared of us - couldn't believe it! We also had a family of goldfinches and chaffinches, but they've all disappeared recently. Have still got the loyal robins and other wee birds though, and some blackbirds. Love them all but wish our goldfinches would come back lol

If we get this cold spell at least there's plenty on here looking out for the wee birds

• Like 6

Posted

I take my feeders in monthly and give them a good clean. Also move my feeders monthly to fresh ground to stop disease build up. Great to feed the birds but if you are giving them disease it defeats the purpose.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

I take my feeders in monthly and give them a good clean. Also move my feeders monthly to fresh ground to stop disease build up. Great to feed the birds but if you are giving them disease it defeats the purpose.

Yup do the same big lad, which reminds me need to do a clean and move this weekend

• Like 1

Posted

I love watching the birds visiting.  Although I've had to stop buying feeders as the kids in my street think its funny to constantly break my feeder by throwing it round the street and garden.  

Resorted to a feeder that sticks to the window and by throwing food on the ground just.

The kids can't leave anything alone here, even stole the valve covers on everyone's cars

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Will only be 1c when it reaches the East but dew points rising ahead of it. Imagine it stalled!

I remember when I lived in Jersey in the Channel Islands in the late 90s and a warm front was pushing East against continental cold and it against all forecasts it stalled to the West of the island for 12 hours and buried the island. I'm guessing with modern computers, that will never happen again.

What year in 1990s was that snow in jersey just trying to find pictures

Posted
22 minutes ago, jello said:

I love watching the birds visiting.  Although I've had to stop buying feeders as the kids in my street think its funny to constantly break my feeder by throwing it round the street and garden.  

Resorted to a feeder that sticks to the window and by throwing food on the ground just.

The kids can't leave anything alone here, even stole the valve covers on everyone's cars

Wee stained glass windowers

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

What year in 1990s was that snow in jersey just trying to find pictures

I lived in Jersey from 95 to 98 so would be one of those.

• Like 1

Posted

This Monday coming looks like transition day as we start to pull in Northerlies.

Let's hope we don't have to suffer with Uppers arguments this time.

The air source looks considerably colder and primed for snow.

• Like 4

Posted

Certainly going to get colder but will we get the snow to go with it. Find it hard to understand model thread with so many different views. A lot based in London and  southern England so maybe their views are slightly biased?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, gman144 said:

Certainly going to get colder but will we get the snow to go with it. Find it hard to understand model thread with so many different views. A lot based in London and  southern England so maybe their views are slightly biased?

It does get brutal in there and I ain't talking about brutal cold

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

I’m wondering will we be too far west and miss out again?!

It’s looking like west is favoured initially as next week progresses. Looking good all round the BI. Might be a few knee deep days with lows slipping through

Posted
7 hours ago, Sparky72 said:

I’m wondering will we be too far west and miss out again?!

After this morning's output, West is best.

But what a stinker of overnight runs. Proper cold delayed again. 

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

After this morning's output, West is best.

But what a stinker of overnight runs. Proper cold delayed again. 

Thankfully i waited an extra day if Ecm & gfs is anything to go by last cold spell will be colder and 850s not supportive once again for low lying snow.

Posted
36 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

So what we thinking then, a couple of days delay or hope for anything at all diminishing?

I'll wait and see what the 12s deliver. 

If the cold doesn't arrive then this would be yet another epic failure of the models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

I'll wait and see what the 12s deliver. 

If the cold doesn't arrive then this would be yet another epic failure of the models.

Not sure if the 12z runs will be the defining moment.....I think models will gradually shift pattern South over next several days with colder weather still on the cards by mid next week or soon after......even before the BFTE in 2018 there was one day about 6 or 7 days out where all the models flipped to show the high pressure over Scandi dropping too far south with dry cold weather for us and the frigid snow making easterlies pushed to our South.....models came back to original idea the following day of cold easterlies over UK amd Ireland ...and then upgraded over following few days .......models have flipped so much today I dont buy it and think they will gradually revert back to cold.....albeit maybe delayed by a few days....even the 2018 BFTE only started producing proper cold and snow showers on the Tuesday, a few days later than initially progged.......

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

So what we thinking then, a couple of days delay or hope for anything at all diminishing?

I still think it could be any option ATM...placement of those lows is not sorted and that makes all the difference I think

• Thanks 1

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2