Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Seems to be pushing through much more quickly. 

Is that it?

Was meant to be six or seven hours of snow, that was only about three.

Another let down and barely enough for sledging. 

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Seems to be pushing through much more quickly. 

Is that it?

Was meant to be six or seven hours of snow, that was only about three.

Another let down and barely enough for sledging. 

It really did push off quick the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

We've had around 4 to 7 cms of snow. Large amount of drifting with a couple drifts 20 to 30 cms, where all the snow has blown off the driveway and funneled in corners. 

Extreme variance in depths due to gusts that sounded close to 50mph at times, some places were left nearly bare with the wind

Turning to sleet now and the melt begins.

IMG_20210213_112654.thumb.jpg.ff6c2833bd2803e1b4502bea37bba009.jpgIMG_20210213_111910.thumb.jpg.474ee5792c6e7f6bda00574695888721.jpgIMG_20210213_112024.thumb.jpg.09faa9dc3dfcac049b5f7fc4d9c6ea63.jpgIMG_20210213_112012.thumb.jpg.df49299525a4729407c7825c802cc4a5.jpgIMG_20210213_112148.thumb.jpg.b29dc47d1559a6f46a198f48247e854a.jpg

Edited by MHW21
added another video
  • Like 8

Posted

Just back from Dublin mountains. Raining here when we left and returned but blizzard conditions up there. So cold the lads wanted to go home after 30 minutes! We got the snowman built and a good bit of sledging done, so 3 tired but happy kids (and parents!) and I got my snow fix!

Amazing pics from up north lads, well jel!!!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, booferking said:

It really did push off quick the last hour.

That was a very, very poor forecast. Was meant to snow from 10 until 6 or 7, and it was only 10 till 1. Maybe got an inch or two if lucky.

Sums this Winter up.

Went for walk with wife whilst still snowing - wind and small dry flakes swirling felt great but finished at lunchtime with only 3 or 4 cm. Slow thaw setting in - at least it hasn't rained.

Not sure it was worth the forecasters hype, but still better than it not happening at all. Don't think i'll need the ruler looking at Sperrins photos.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder

So another cold spell comes to an end......saw snow falling every day from early hours of Monday morning to early hours of Saturday morning and would have taken that before it started......disappointing though that we never had more than a cm or so lying at any time which either sublimated earlier in week or melted this morning as milder air came in .. ....our heaviest snow fell last night just as the milder air was arriving.....never saw a glimpse of the sun since Friday last week.....always grey cloudy skies, day and night since last Saturday so therefore temps never went lower than 0 degrees and mostly hovering between 1 and 3 degrees past seven days... wind chill was something else all through with strong and gusty icy wind that would cut you in two.....If anyone is old enough to remember1986,  this spell is closest I can remember to that winter....big difference back then it lasted for 5 weeks from late Jan to early March ....biting easterly wind, often cloudy with very little snow or sunshine ....that was bitter....late March 2013 would have seen a similar spell who ran in to early April......wouldn't rule out another cold blast either late Feb or March this year .....however you never know and I am always a little sad when a cold spell ends as you never know when snow will fall again.....I remember watching my kid playing a match in early April 2013 coming to the end of that bitter easterly spell, with snow flurries blowing across the pitch throughout the game. Little did I know I would not see another snow fall until December 2017, four and a half years later, after a terrrible run of mild stormy winters.....likewise after the two beasts in March 2018 this is the first winter to hold snowy interest after a three year run again of milder ones...... hopefully we are at the start of a cluster of colder winters again.....and some decent summer's

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I've always preferred the going to bed And waking to see a snowfall had occurred based on snow at night have often a better chance of sticking. 

But (which always negates what goes before) 

I loved being up in the morning and it was clear and watching the finest of particles start to a full blown blizzard as it passed. 

Really enjoyed today. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Didn't take long for the snow to melt. Not a pick left this morning.

I read somewhere that when dew points temperatures are high, snow will melt quicker than in direct sunlight. 

At 5pm yesterday my air temp was 2C and snow was mostly intact, by 9pm snow was all gone and temp was 4-5C with very little rainfall.

Posted

Much milder feel to the weather today .....next week looking mild also .....looks like it will be late Feb or March before next cold shot, if it comes  ....things can change quickly so maybe later in the week we will see models picking up a new route to cold ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
3 hours ago, Cavehill Snow said:

I read somewhere that when dew points temperatures are high, snow will melt quicker than in direct sunlight. 

At 5pm yesterday my air temp was 2C and snow was mostly intact, by 9pm snow was all gone and temp was 4-5C with very little rainfall.

Very true. In direct sunlight snow acts as a reflector of heat radiation. Surface temperature and dew points have a much bigger impact.

Posted
23 hours ago, Donegal said:

Met Éireann

Wednesday night: Some uncertainty for Wednesday night as a low pressure system is indicated to move up from the south bringing widespread rain with a risk of flooding in places along with some strong winds. There is the possibility of some sleet and snow falls too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees.

Met Eireann still going for sleet and snow in places tomorrow night but mainly for higher ground .....temps back up to 7 to 9 c on Thursday  

Posted

Gorgeous day out there today! 12 degrees and blue skies. Kids out playing in the garden for the first time in an age! I love snow and cold, but that is priceless!

• Like 3