Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Wind has turned more south east and is driving a few more showers this direction. Caught the edge of one just now moving up through south Tyrone. Temp got down to -4.7c here last night.

• Like 1

Posted

12z GFS still keen to give most of the lower 26 counties a pasting tomorrow. North and east getting another go at it on Saturday and the lunch time news on RTE showed similar. As usual, Mother Nature will decide!

• Like 3

Posted

From NI Weather..... 

The NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning. 

A Warning of Snow & Ice has been issued for Northern Ireland.  This is something we have been monitoring & forecasting over the past several days. This is an update/amendment to our advisory and has been upgraded to a warning.   It's likely that this warning may be upgraded to Level 2 for some areas.

Warning valid from 22:00 12/02/2021 Until at least 18:00 13/02/2021

An Atlantic weather front will move into NI later Friday and throughout Saturday and as this encounters the very cold air currently in place, it is expected to turn readily to heavy sleet & snow, first in Western areas but extending to all parts overnight.  (Similar to the fairly widespread snowfall event the country experienced on 23-24th January)

Accumulations of up to 5cm are possible quite widely across the country and as much as 10-15cm locally and more so over higher ground (Possibly as much as 20cm in one or two spots)  Some areas on higher ground & high level routes may become impassable for a time.  (Some coastal areas may see a more wintry mix)

NB: Accumulations will again vary and some areas will likely see more than others.

Strong winds of up to 30-50mph may be an additonal hazard, leading to temporary blizzard conditions in places exposed to the wind.  This combined with falling snow and possible freezing rain could cause some localised disruption to power supplies.

Ice will become an issue across many areas, leading to hazardous driving conditions especially in areas with snow cover.

There is a chance during Saturday afternoon of the sleet/snow possibly turning to rain in Western areas due to milder air assoicated with the weather front.    There is also a risk of a period of freezing rain in places which will may lead to dangerous conditions. 

This warning may be upgraded to Level 2 at any stage so please keep an eye on our page.

We will of course keep you updated on where the snowfall is and it's current track

We will also be posting some charts/data regarding this possible widespread snowfall event.  Stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Very interesting segment from Alex Deakin on Facebook, explains some charts that always stump me really well. 

https://www.facebook.com/287501884208/posts/10158362077549209/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronan said:

From NI Weather..... 

The NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning. 

A Warning of Snow & Ice has been issued for Northern Ireland.  This is something we have been monitoring & forecasting over the past several days. This is an update/amendment to our advisory and has been upgraded to a warning.   It's likely that this warning may be upgraded to Level 2 for some areas.

Warning valid from 22:00 12/02/2021 Until at least 18:00 13/02/2021

An Atlantic weather front will move into NI later Friday and throughout Saturday and as this encounters the very cold air currently in place, it is expected to turn readily to heavy sleet & snow, first in Western areas but extending to all parts overnight.  (Similar to the fairly widespread snowfall event the country experienced on 23-24th January)

Accumulations of up to 5cm are possible quite widely across the country and as much as 10-15cm locally and more so over higher ground (Possibly as much as 20cm in one or two spots)  Some areas on higher ground & high level routes may become impassable for a time.  (Some coastal areas may see a more wintry mix)

NB: Accumulations will again vary and some areas will likely see more than others.

Strong winds of up to 30-50mph may be an additonal hazard, leading to temporary blizzard conditions in places exposed to the wind.  This combined with falling snow and possible freezing rain could cause some localised disruption to power supplies.

Ice will become an issue across many areas, leading to hazardous driving conditions especially in areas with snow cover.

There is a chance during Saturday afternoon of the sleet/snow possibly turning to rain in Western areas due to milder air assoicated with the weather front.    There is also a risk of a period of freezing rain in places which will may lead to dangerous conditions. 

This warning may be upgraded to Level 2 at any stage so please keep an eye on our page.

We will of course keep you updated on where the snowfall is and it's current track

We will also be posting some charts/data regarding this possible widespread snowfall event.  Stay tuned.

The weather forecast (6:55pm) on the bbcni news forecast snow on Saturday morning to turn to rain in the afternoon. This is in line with other forecasts over the last 24 hours. 

That warning you posted seems to be an updated forecast even though it was issued before the tv forecast was aired. I can only assume that the tv broadcast was pre-recorded and was out of date by the time it was broadcast.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Cavehill Snow said:

The weather forecast (6:55pm) on the bbcni news forecast snow on Saturday morning to turn to rain in the afternoon. This is in line with other forecasts over the last 24 hours. 

That warning you posted seems to be an updated forecast even though it was issued before the tv forecast was aired. I can only assume that the tv broadcast was pre-recorded and was out of date by the time it was broadcast.

And the video forecast for NI hasn't updated since 1pm on bbc NI weather page and it showed an all snow event Saturday so i think there waiting on more runs to confirm this finely balanced.

Also a few of ECM perbs keep cold in play for longer some to Monday an interesting 18z coming but it hard to go against the ecm op.

Posted
22 minutes ago, ronan said:

To be honest I'll just be glad to see some proper heavy snow whether it's gone the next day or not. 

Me to Ronan and when it melts then roll on spring.

Ground last week to wet and this week to hard 

• Like 2

Posted

I would just have loved about 6-7 inches of good Snow on Saturday as the ground is froze good and hard, get the kids out to go sledging and build snowmen. 

• Like 3

Posted

Interestingly the euro4 has todays precipitation easily reaching the far north of the island this evening. Basically hitting ulster around 5pm and still in situ in the early morning hours. No idea of intensity as I imagine it will fizzle out.

Its already well over Munster, any pics from down the country?

Screenshot_20210211-083400_Chrome.jpg

20210211_083427.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC...

BBC weather has today's front just about making ulster but looks to be very weak at that point. Good news is she mentioned those magical words of significant snowfall on Saturday. Looks like this period will go out with a bang before much milder weather pushes in on Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, booferking said:

A remarkable winter in Scotland coldest temperature -23c official metoffice sceptical on Scottish fourm reporting in a valley -24.5c

And only a hundred or so miles away.

Different world.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sperrin said:

Interestingly the euro4 has todays precipitation easily reaching the far north of the island this evening. Basically hitting ulster around 5pm and still in situ in the early morning hours. No idea of intensity as I imagine it will fizzle out.

20210211_083427.jpg

Looking at the Radar compared to models it looks to be slightly further North than models forecast.  May get alittle snow in places

Posted
1 hour ago, Sperrin said:

20210211_083427.jpg

These are meant to be fairly reliable too. I guess we will see later on although I fully expect the Northerly extend to stop about a mile from my front door.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, jello said:

Looking at the Radar compared to models it looks to be slightly further North than models forecast.  May get alittle snow in places

This happened a couple of weeks ago as well, interesting, tell you what though that wind would cut you in half today brrrrrr

• Like 1

Posted

Very snowy looking vids from Clare/ Limerick direction. Snow being blown around in the wind. Let's hope it reaches us.

• Like 2

Posted

Met office just updated their warning for Saturday, looking very good for us in Uslter now...

Screenshot_20210211-103744_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Met office just updated their warning for Saturday, looking very good for us in Uslter now...

Screenshot_20210211-103744_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looking forward to a bit of sledging before Spring arrives next week!

• Like 1

Posted

On an unrelated note, are any of you guys into droning (not on and on about the weather)? 

I took the plunge and got this coming this afternoon. Looks like an amazing piece of kit for its size. Hopefully get some good snow pics and vids on Saturday!

Screenshot_20210211-111557_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

On an unrelated note, are any of you guys into droning (not on and on about the weather)? 

I took the plunge and got this coming this afternoon. Looks like an amazing piece of kit for its size. Hopefully get some good snow pics and vids on Saturday!

Screenshot_20210211-111557_Chrome.jpg

Great piece of kit. I have the Mavic Pro and it goes everywhere with me. 

• Like 1