Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
6 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Yes ronan. Don't understand how they're not included in the warning.

Yeah I seen pics from up around the Isle Of Doagh this morning and they had quite a bit of snow but the snow just keeps on coming there tonight. Also seeing pics of Garvagh tonight and they have a lot of snow by the looks of it while maybe a mile down the road barely nothing. All very localised. Garvagh.... 

FB_IMG_1612916333874.jpg

Edited by ronan

Posted

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but if you are a snow fan like me - don't make my mistake of reading the UK Met Office Northern Ireland outlook for Friday - Sunday 

Posted
23 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but if you are a snow fan like me - don't make my mistake of reading the UK Met Office Northern Ireland outlook for Friday - Sunday 

It's been a crap Winter all round.

Compare and contrast this thread to the Scottish one.

I still have a hope of snow on Saturday before a quick melt.

Posted
39 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's been a crap Winter all round.

Compare and contrast this thread to the Scottish one.

I still have a hope of snow on Saturday before a quick melt.

Yeah it's definitely been rubbish for us model watchers as there has been so much promise (much more than a normal winter) but very little delivery!
For folk who don't study the weather models, it's probably been a fairly standard winter !
On the plus side, this week has been great for getting out of the house for walks - last week was dire with all that rain. 

Edited by SnowJon

Posted

With regards to tomorrow and on through the weekend, It’s a shame that you only ever get downgrades re snow at this stage the forecasts never make mistakes resulting in upgrades. Why is it they always forecast colder and snowier than it always ends up?

although in fairness the met office never at any stage forecasted much for here this weekend.

Edited by Sparky72

Posted

There's three things I take from this Winter.

1. Anomalous northerly blocking in Winter does not necessarily deliver snow in my back yard

2. Easterlies without a South Easterly component definitely don't deliver in my back yard

3. The UKMO model is the daddy out to t+144 and the GFS remains dire

Posted
3 hours ago, SnowJon said:

The GFS is a rubbish model but it surely cannot be wrong at this range..

image.thumb.png.578c9c3a7a5bc01103290f728e4fe4d7.png

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The GFS is a rubbish model but it surely cannot be wrong at this range..

image.thumb.png.578c9c3a7a5bc01103290f728e4fe4d7.png

That does look good but I'm not holding my breath!

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, booferking said:

Totally different contrast between are winter & the Scots snow depths widely reported between 20cm to 40+ there pictures are immense in there.

This was Tannadice St in Dundee this morning. 

image.thumb.png.f7688dda2508a713582e3f0c5f55043f.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

UK met office have issued a yellow warning for all of NI on Saturday, looks pretty decent too, although they mention snow turning to rain in afternoon.

Screenshot_20210210-111845_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Anybody watching the model thread picking up that the end of the cold is not a done deal. Probably still going to go milder but it’s not as certain now. GFS and it’s counterpart sensing an extension of the cold.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

UK met office have issued a yellow warning for all of NI on Saturday, looks pretty decent too, although they mention snow turning to rain in afternoon.

Screenshot_20210210-111845_Samsung Internet.jpg

That is at complete odds with their forecast text for NI for the weekend! It doesn't even mention hill snow :

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Dry and bright on Friday, cold southeasterly wind. Windy on Saturday with a little showery rain. Persistent rain on Saturday night then mostly dry on Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

@SnowJon warning was just issued at 11.12am so perhaps the forecast text will change later in the day?

Posted
1 hour ago, booferking said:

Totally different contrast between are winter & the Scots snow depths widely reported between 20cm to 40+ there pictures are immense in there.

Not all of us in Scotland have snow...here in Ayrshire I have zero.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

That is at complete odds with their forecast text for NI for the weekend! It doesn't even mention hill snow :

If you watch the video Ronan posted above you can see why forecasting this week end is a nightmare. A difference of 100 or so miles east or west has a massive bearing on what we get at ground level. It could stay all snow which fizzles out - best case scenario or it could be 10 degrees and soaking - worst case scenario - and everything in between.

Edited by Northwest NI
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

If you watch the video Ronan posted above you can see why forecasting this week end is a nightmare. A difference of 100 or so miles east or west has a massive bearing on what we get at ground level. It could stay all snow which fizzles out - best case scenario or it could be 10 degrees and soaking - worst case scenario - and everything in between.

I know! That's why I was so surprised with the rain forecast for Saturday and no mention of the snow possibility ! 

Posted
11 hours ago, ronan said:

North Donegal really doing well since early yesterday with Streamers and still going. 

Screenshot_20210209_234652_com.netweather.snowradar.jpg

Unfortunately they are not making it as far west as my location in Donegal, which would be on the coast a bit west of the streamers in the attached image.

We had a rare dumping of snow in 2018 from streamers coming from the east. This was ahead of the main event in the rest of the country.

Even the optimistic model runs look like the snow will have petered out before reaching here, and there's a mountain range for it to cross before getting here. 

Still, fingers crossed for a bit of snow, even if it's short lived.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Their text forecast isn't the best and I'm not saying that because it doesn't mention snow. Its updated twice daily between 2 to 4pm and 2 to 4am. Often the only thing they change is the time it was updated not the text. Even if the weather is expected to be the same at least change a couple of words about instead of being lazy lol.

Anyway. They would only release that early warning for snow if a certain threshold was reached to issue it.

Agree 100%

This is what brought me to weather forums in the first place. Useless weather apps and forecasts and alerts from the big hitters that continuously hedged bets and covered all bases. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

It is really frustrating. They have been outliers all week in terms of forecasting nothing and then a sudden change  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder

Aftrr all the fraupel,finally had a few proper snow showers this morning leaving a light dusting ......snow for tomorrow downgraded again....a lot of places in north and east will stay dry I think with small accumulations elsewhere before turning to rain tomorrow night and on Friday......unless models have this wrong  

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, all the precipitation dies away when it hits midlands. Dublin snow shield in full effect again! All according to the latest HIRLAM

Mid term GFS (06z) slowing onset of mild, ECM going for strong mild outlook. BBC monthly going for mild next week with fair possibility of cold coming back week after because of negative AO, with high pressure in the baltic region. Caveats being this is fairly broad brush and dependent upon orientation of blocking high.

Short term, both BBCNI & RTE going for snow Thursday coming into SW Ireland, not progressing as far as NI. Friday non descript but still cold north but mild south. Saturday morning rain SW, transient snow Ulster & NE Leinster turning back to rain in the afternoon. Very mild thereafter - looks like they are both following using ECM output.

• Like 1

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F