Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder

Flurries blowing in the wind all morning.....hopefully showers pep up later... Thursday and Friday still uncertain....GFS usually the model that powers Atlantic though has front stalling over Ireland with high pressure to east really flexing its muscles and keeping us cold through weekend....ECM similar but pushes front through more aggressively .... UKMO powers Atlantic in and in mild flow by Friday .....ICON halfway house....must be a nightmare for Met Eireann and UK Met .....the front could power through and bring spell of snow then milder air, it could stall over Ireland giving prolonged snow for some parts or it might not even reach the east coast.... hard one to call ....but I am leaning towards a stalling front .... fingers crossed  

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
1 hour ago, ronan said:

It's a tough call but I am hopeful for Thursday. Been out and about all morning at work and we have had a few showers of Graupel even with nothing showing on the radar. It's proper bitter cold to.  

@ronan Graupel light snow alert. I never seen anything at all on radar earlier so was passing time and looked out there and it’s graupeling

Surprised by the accuracy of the radar really.

ED07D5A9-DE48-4EBF-9520-B0D539468AED.jpeg

Posted
12 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

@ronan Graupel light snow alert. I never seen anything at all on radar earlier so was passing time and looked out there and it’s graupeling

Surprised by the accuracy of the radar really.

ED07D5A9-DE48-4EBF-9520-B0D539468AED.jpeg

Yeah been keeping an eye on the radar. Those showers just developed out of nowhere. Hopefully a sign of things to come. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cavehill Snow said:

Great news - which model is that?

Do you know if the cold persists through the weekend, or, will we get a thaw and breakthrough of mild temperatures?

It's the gfs, which is the worst of the top models. If it is right (and it won't be ), then snow melt would be slow away from lower ground

Posted
3 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Keep those positive vibes coming @mountain shadow

The 12z GFS is actually very snowy across Ireland from Thursday right over the weekend, unfortunately the UKMO is not as good.

• Like 2

Looking at a precipitation app on my fone, there is a band of snow showers coming out of Liverpool / North Wales, they progress west out over the Irish Sea but turn to rain. They are hitting the east coast from Kilkeel to North County Dublin and travelling onwards west. Away from the coast they revert back to snow. Looks decent intensity and you never know, perhaps form into a proper long lasting streamer.

Posted

Looks like County Louth and North Meath is getting continuous snow showers now, anyone live that direction?

Posted
41 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Looks like County Louth and North Meath is getting continuous snow showers now, anyone live that direction?

Friend lives in Dundalk and it’s bone dry...

Commentators curse. It’s now snowing. 

Edited by BFS/BHD

Posted

Just had a heavier shower here. Still really light but bigger flakes instead of graupel. Be a long time getting a covering from it mind.lol

Posted
17 minutes ago, BFS/BHD said:

Friend lives in Dundalk and it’s bone dry...

Seems a lot of these showers are evaporating before they reach the ground and the radar returns are misleading?

Posted
4 minutes ago, ronan said:

What a waste 

Screenshot_20210208_174716.jpg

Yes very frustrating, I’ve been watching those showers pass me by to the north, would definitely have received a covering from that!