Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Bone dry and overcast in Dublin and not that cold. Still over 3 degrees in an E/NE wind. Radar watching will begin after dinner tonight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

Yep, tiniest flakes/graupel in Bangor, right down to the coast.

• Like 2

Posted

Still just over 3 degrees, but the dew point is -3. Like you WW, a few tiny grains floating about in the wind now. No sign of streamers yet anywhere along the coast.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Still just over 3 degrees, but the dew point is -3. Like you WW, a few tiny grains floating about in the wind now. No sign of streamers yet anywhere along the coast.

Intensity picking up around the Downpatrick region. Unless it is moderate to heavy in intesity it isn't going to lye. Graupel here melting as it hits surface.

Posted
Just now, Eastantrim4 said:

Tiny grains floating about in the wind here in Larne too. I thought we were gonna miss this and it would have been Down and Armagh for the North...

I don't think it is streamers just yet. May just be high thin clouds unleashing their load as they hit land. Possobility that Downpatrick area is starting to see convection from the sea.

Posted
30 minutes ago, ronan said:

Hopefully a few of you see some lying snow. Might see a few heavier bursts soon going by the radar. 

Screenshot_20210207_151243_com.netweather.snowradar.jpg

It is very very light stuff, barely graupel. The air is so dry that I think the moisture is evaporating before it reaches the ground. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It is very very light stuff, barely graupel. The air is so dry that I think the moisture is evaporating before it reaches the ground. 

Sadly that's what most easterlies bring all eyes on Thursday only realistic chance for snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Never heard of graupel until this winter. Had to research it.

65AF7260-793C-462D-B6C6-45F86816386D.jpeg

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted

I know not everybody is a fan of our current set up and I will probably get sick of it in a couple of days but ....it was nice to go for a big walk today without the fear of getting trench foot

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, booferking said:

Sadly that's what most easterlies bring all eyes on Thursday only realistic chance for snow here.

Unfortunately, the front on Thursday/Friday doesn't look like reaching us now. Dies out as it pushes North  East. Some snow for Southern counties though on the 12z GFS.

Posted
21 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Unfortunately, the front on Thursday/Friday doesn't look like reaching us now. Dies out as it pushes North  East. Some snow for Southern counties though on the 12z GFS.

In all my years following the models & on netweather i have never seen such an expansive cold pool to our east moving this way that is truly extraordinary.

gfs-1-210.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's only one run but. Will be plenty of changes between now and Thursday. There will be quite a few on here getting in on the action on this run. 

Screenshot_20210207_162358.jpg

Edited by ronan

Posted
13 minutes ago, booferking said:

In all my years following the models & on netweather i have never seen such an expansive cold pool to our east moving this way that is truly extraordinary.

gfs-1-210.png

Another Easterly.  No thanks!

Was March 2013 not deep cold like that?

Posted
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Another Easterly.  No thanks!

Was March 2013 not deep cold like that?

2013 was extreme but this this cold pool dislodges itself from the main Siberian vortex and a massive area of the cold pool marches towards us never in my day have i seen this.

archivesnh-2018-3-18-0-1.png

archivesnh-2018-3-17-12-1.png

gfsnh-1-204.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
23 minutes ago, ronan said:

It's only one run but. Will be plenty of changes between now and Thursday. There will be quite a few on here getting in on the action on this run. 

Screenshot_20210207_162358.jpg

Yeah GFS is a super run..  stays cold throughout...UKMO good for Thursday getting milder on Friday...GEM was best this morning now pushes milder air through quickly by Friday.....lets see what ECM brings but this will chop and change for days to come  

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Would it be fair to say models have been struggling for some time? Look at difference in weather apps met office and BBC weekly forecast. All must use different models and have differing reads. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
2 minutes ago, gman144 said:

Would it be fair to say models have been struggling for some time? Look at difference in weather apps met office and BBC weekly forecast. All must use different models and have differing reads. 

I find those weather apps to be appallingly bad summer and winter.

Posted

My sister lives in New Jersey and is currently bombarding the family WhatsApp with the snow they're getting... Over 20 inches... Does this not usually result in more energy in the Atlantic for us? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Xciteuk said:

My sister lives in New Jersey and is currently bombarding the family WhatsApp with the snow they're getting... Over 20 inches... Does this not usually result in more energy in the Atlantic for us? 

It all depends on the long wave pattern.

If the pattern is flat then Yes, the lows will steamroll over the Atlantic.

However, there is a lot of amplification in the pattern at the moment (MJO 7), and the NE USA low is very slow moving which allows a ridge to form in the Atlantic which then supports the Scandi heights.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Xciteuk said:

It can help fire up the jet, with rapid cyclogenesis but not always, once the block is in place, it can be difficult to shake anyway. 

Nothing showing up on the radar yet, was expecting to see some streamers develop by now. Will look again after dinner.

• Like 1