Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
50 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

My heads fried, just spent 30 minutes in the model thread. Cherry picked a couple of slides from it for eye candy. Still nothing clear for the end of next week though!

1D9A6C82-826D-492A-BE3A-7B6BA7E87AE5.jpeg

3835E447-E7C4-4599-A4CD-76644FCFD8A4.png

The main part of your post is THE END OF NEXT WEEK. It's 7 days away. We don't even know what's coming Sunday never mind next Thursday. All to play for 

• Like 1

Posted

The blue shows heavy snow on those maps.

yeah I know Ronan but at the moment that’s our best chance of heavy snow away from the East coast at the minute in my very humble opinion 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Some interesting thoughts from Met Eireann here...

00160606-1600.jpg
WWW.RTE.IE

Met Éireann has said it is on "high alert" for the second half of next week, as significant snow is expected.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Donegal said:

Latest gfs shows cold breaking down next week. A total bore fest imby. A brief spell of frontal snow before turning milder behind it is what most of the island will experience away from areas exposed to an Easterly wind. 

My opinion based off the latest output this evening. Can it change? Of course. I'm not excited in the slightest however.

GFS still bullish on a quick breakdown but the UKMO and ECM show a lot more fight. 

Can't see the GFS being right against the two best models.

Posted

I'm just looking forward to a nice cold, dry spell. Garden is like a swamp at the minute. Any snow will be a bonus.

Posted
1 hour ago, BIG LAD said:

I'm just looking forward to a nice cold, dry spell. Garden is like a swamp at the minute. Any snow will be a bonus.

Yup the garden is saturated at the minute a couple of good dry days would be useful, I might even start some spring cleaning outside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

That ME graphic above shows the Atlantic absolutely demolishing any cold spell but that’s not what is being described elsewhere. As Donegal says above, absolutely nothing to look forward to in that, unless you like a few hours of slush.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Met office has removed Monday's snow warning for Down, Armagh and parts of Antrim. 

The big two week build up - to nothing, for Ireland at any rate. Can never get up for an Easterly. Got to be Northerly for us.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted

Cold and dry is ok I suppose but finally having non marginal temps but no precipitation is a pain!

Posted
46 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Met office has removed Monday's snow warning for Down, Armagh and parts of Antrim. 

Winds are more NE/E than SE/E now so no sea track to build convection. I think Louth, Meath, Dublin, Wicklow might do well though.

For everyone else is case of getting snow around the breakdown and hope the breakdown isn't a quick slushfest.

Posted

Any more knowledgeable posters able to explain why Leinster and the east coast aren’t expected to get anywhere near the amounts of snow as during the last beast in 2018?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
30 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Any more knowledgeable posters able to explain why Leinster and the east coast aren’t expected to get anywhere near the amounts of snow as during the last beast in 2018?

Not as unstable an airmass this time with upper air temps and thicknesses not as low as the 2018 beast. Although todays charts look more unstable to my eyes then last nights so room for upgrades. ,.. Wind direction and strength also different ... Often straight easterly shown early next week whereas an east to north east or north east wind brings longer sea track for showers to form. Likewise east to southeast for favoured areas.... ....however winds will likely switch around at times from E to ESE or ENE next week so showers or streamers will set up differently in each scenario so wouldn't rule out snow anywhere on eastern side of Ireland.   Winds get quite strong Monday night and in to Tuesday which will push showers further across the island.... Thursday could be interesting and as we get nearer I do believe we will have  a snowier breakdown than currently being modelled.....    

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

This is how cold spell plays out dry for the  majority away from the eastern coastal regions & lucky few that streamers setup and push a bit further inland then fronts make in roads from the west first front stalling while decaying as it does patchy snow for whoever it makes it far enough east while weakening the cold conditions in place then 2nd front bulldozes through short period of snow for some then quickly back to rainy conditions we have had in place the last couple of weeks. 

Remember it's all about snow now its February clocks ticking spring around the corner & conditions have been great since December but delivering very little snow and i rank cold spells by the white staff that falls from the sky.

#Can't wait

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
24 minutes ago, DOdo said:

Tuesday and Thursday  Two days to look out for, Early warning for Heavy Snow fall

Where did you see this?

Posted
2 hours ago, gary1365 said:

I'd sooner have cold and dry than rainy and miserable.

Don't worry it will feel like its rainy and miserable when you start seeing snow picture after picture from across the water

• Like 2

4 hours ago, O'Maille80 said:

Where did you see this?

Its amazing how every precipitation and snow cover chart shows zip for Ireland with fairly strong winds. As you can see from the attached chart even the Isle of Man has 15cm snow cover.

At least tonight Met Eireann is forcasting snow for Belfast this day week & zero temps though other media indicate this to be a snow to rain event.

534EE358-9BF3-47FC-A13B-BD53D40D845C(2).webp

Edited by Cavehill Snow
  • Like 1

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More rain on the way: Storm Nelson brings gales Thursday, but rain and wind easing for Easter

Spells of rain or showers with sunshine in between affecting most areas today, snow over northern hills. Storm Nelson arrives tomorrow, bringing gales to southern coasts and windy elsewhere with further showers. Showers and wind easing somewhat into the Easter Weekend. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-27 09:35:27 Valid: 27/03/2024 0900 - 28/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 27 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F