Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
53 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

All smooth and steady on the 18z GFS.

If we're still on target tomorrow after the 12z's I will tell the kids. Feic it lads, the lockdown needs some happiness attached!

Looking good for an easterly spell from Sunday until possible battleground event maybe Wednesday or Thursday.....looking rather dry for Ireland at present until then, but still 5 days away before it commences so hopefully as we get closer disturbances in the flow / streamers are picked up.....while main pattern should be set, charts will not look the same come Sunday so hopefully upgrades to come... 

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, gman144 said:

B5F35EC3-9768-4BE3-8B6B-5DCD3E611752.jpeg

To be taken with a pinch of salt this far out but gives us an idea that those southerly tracking lows are producing snow even when uppers rise to - 3 or - 4 due to entrenched cold and low dew points etc....Met Eireann update is great this morning especially for the east but I would think many in with a shout from Sunday onwards.. ....not your typical sunshine and snow shower set up at times... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow
14 minutes ago, gman144 said:

B5F35EC3-9768-4BE3-8B6B-5DCD3E611752.jpeg

This has me very excited as I’m currently living and working in the northern Netherlands. 
I peed a little when I awoke this morning to see this....16hrs of...

955D5F65-60A2-43B6-82F9-0FAC349D74B6.png

45B8E7EE-7047-47E4-B09A-6950256470D0.png

• Like 2

Posted

Lashing rain continues in the East.

Looking increasingly likely that the Atlantic will start pushing in against the cold Easterly air mass next week with winds turning South Easterly with increasing shower chances and increased chances of heavier snowfall from frontal systems.

• Like 2

Posted

Mating time of the year, that much in need they don’t care about the shitty ball freezing rain!  That or they aren’t singing they are complaining about the ball freezing rain.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Meto warning out for rain, I can't help but be jealous of the at lovely Amber warning parts of Scotland have for snow ☹"UK weather warnings - Met Office" https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-02-07

Our time will come!

Posted
1 hour ago, Donegal said:

20 to 40mm and Antrim plateau could see 80mm with snow above 300 metres. Will be biblical snow above 300m there. 

I noticed the snow comes back in the North through tomorrow as the front pushes back South. The Antrim hills will undoubtedly get pummelled.

Unfortunately the front fizzles out as it pushes south and by the time we're in the colder air, the precipitation is gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

Sunday: Sunday is looking like a very cold and breezy day with bright spells and some showers, the showers primarily affecting north Ulster and east Leinster, with some turning wintry in nature. Maximum temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees Celsius but feeling colder due to the added wind-chill factor in brisk northeast winds. Frost and ice will develop widely on Sunday night with scattered snow showers in eastern counties. Minimum temperatures of -3 to +1 degrees Celsius in fresh northeast winds.

Next week: Current indications suggest it will stay very cold into next week with widespread frost and ice. Falls of sleet and snow are expected, especially in Leinster, with significant accumulations possible.

Loving the Met Eireann update. Very rare they talk of snow this far out.

Posted

Think this cold spell could last another 10 days or more, in that hopefully opportunities for snow will arrive. Imagine what has an is to fall last couple and next couple of days had been snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
6 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

I’m not a great fan of “scattered showers” “some wintry in nature”.

With 850's around -8/-10, they'll either be graupel or snow. They only say "scattered" for now because it is going to depend on wind direction and streamers for where will get hit. But looking at wind streams over the week, there is a great variance of Easterly winds (from SE to ENE) that will help get long enough sea tracks for nay on everyone in the North, East and South. Western areas more reliant on organised bands making it across land or indeed any frontal events creeping in from the West. Also the potential of a reload from the North in some ensemble members. It's going to be an interesting week coming up. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
56 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It will be hard watching parts of Scotland and England get mullered as we feed off scraps.

I don't look at it that way. Would be happy with some decent snowfall with the possibility of a top up. We're never going to do as well as parts of Britain.

Posted
52 minutes ago, O'Maille80 said:

I don't look at it that way. Would be happy with some decent snowfall with the possibility of a top up. We're never going to do as well as parts of Britain.

I'm aware of that, but we're reliant on Atlantic fronts to bring us snow.

The 12z ECM does indeed bring in the Atlantic but any snow will quickly turn to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The 12z ECM does indeed bring in the Atlantic but any snow will quickly turn to rain.

Atlantic driven weather frequently makes it right over to East of Britain. Why wouldn’t a potent easterly take precipitation all the way west?

Posted
25 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Atlantic driven weather frequently makes it right over to East of Britain. Why wouldn’t a potent easterly take precipitation all the way west?

Because the jet stream goes from West to East.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

it's because its not snow associated with a front , it's convective when it losses it's moisture source your snookered , either way it's going to be Baltic ....

Screenshot_20210203-192835.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes based on current charts it breaks down quickly to rain around Thursday .....however these lows could slide in to the block closer to the time and give us a nice blizzard  (8 days away so lots of chopping and changing to come)....hopefully plenty of snow between Sunday and Wednesday before that.....charts are all over the the place for later next week. UKMO is very different to ECM for example...0z GFS kept the cold going in to the following week with sliders whereas latest run quickly breaks down the cold spell next week.....We will have a better idea come Saturday or Sunday how any breakdown occurs and whether it is snowy or a brief snow to rain event   

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 1