Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
9 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

So what we thinking folks, another day or 2 of cold weather, then something a bit milder, then hopefully some SSW related action? 

Sounds about right Pom.

I've being looking at the 21st January as a good marker date.

All to play for. 

Beautiful Winter's morning today.

20210108_094804.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Sounds about right Pom.

I've being looking at the 21st January as a good marker date.

All to play for. 

Beautiful Winter's morning today.

20210108_094804.jpg

Promising charts today....I think we could be heading colder even by next weekend ......likely to be more bite to next cold spell as much colder air spilling down from the north.....will be interesting model viewing for sure....I love when the next cold  spell is on the horizon as the current one ends and I think a good chance we will be in that position come Sunday 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Summer Snow said:

Promising charts today....I think we could be heading colder even by next weekend ......likely to be more bite to next cold spell as much colder air spilling down from the north.....will be interesting model viewing for sure....I love when the next cold  spell is on the horizon as the current one ends and I think a good chance we will be in that position come Sunday 

Minds me of the good old days growing up. You knew when the snow melted it wouldn't be too long before the next cold spell would be here. A slight dusting here this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, ronan said:

Minds me of the good old days growing up. You knew when the snow melted it wouldn't be too long before the next cold spell would be here. A slight dusting here this morning. 

Aye or where the aul boy would tell me that the remaining patches of snow were waiting for more

Posted

Nearly noon and the temp is only 0.4c, could be the coldest day yet. Total feeding frenzy on my bird feeders. Do many on here put out food for the birds?

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Nearly noon and the temp is only 0.4c, could be the coldest day yet. Total feeding frenzy on my bird feeders. Do many on here put out food for the birds?

The kids have adopted a few robins and finches this year , ya darnt leave a slice of toast down for a second before it's gone out the back

Edited by na52
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BIG LAD said:

I do big lad, while amount of Gold finches, Tits and Linnets, can't keep up with them

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

I do big lad, while amount of Gold finches, Tits and Linnets, can't keep up with them

Most I've seen is 2 goldfinch on mine. Serious amount of tits, robins, chaffinches. Bring great colour and noise to the garden this time of year. Could watch them for hours. They badly need the peanuts and sunflower hearts in this weather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder

Conditions really conducive to snowfall today...pity the coldest upper air temps have finally arrived as this cold spell is ending......enjoyable 2 weeks though and I suspect the next cold spell will be much more supportive to snowfall with much colder air spilling down due to SSW.....Don't think we will have long to wait either....all eyes on models and I for one am expecting  upgrades over coming days.  We can already see colder signal being picked up possibly from late next week / early following week in models and with such volatility at the moment dont rule out a sudden switch to very cold at a much closer time frame....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Looks like I was in the sweet spot but I'm at work in Carryduff!!

BTW, that was a seriously difficult drive this morning. The grit must have been washed off road, water froze and snow fell. 

Edited by Sperrin

Posted

Very clear air today. Can see the snow covered Mournes from north Monaghan!

IMG_20210108_141255.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Coldest day of the winter so far. High of 1.7c and already back below zero.

IMG_20210108_152631.jpg

Posted

Anyone ever been in katesbridge? What's the topography like? Why is it so frosty?

Posted
13 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Anyone ever been in katesbridge? What's the topography like? Why is it so frosty?

According to wiki Katesbridge is often noted in weather reports as the coldest location on the island of Ireland as well as within the United Kingdom. This is due to its status as a 'frost hollow', a low-lying location relative to its surroundings which allows the colder air to settle.

Posted
13 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Posted

Are the Mournes near katesbridge? Surely there are places more inland that record those kind of temperatures but they just aren't recorded?

Posted
16 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Are the Mournes near katesbridge? Surely there are places more inland that record those kind of temperatures but they just aren't recorded?

Katesbridge is only about 15 miles from The Mournes, but not within them. It is a good bit inland so doesn't really get a marine influence. 

There may very well be places that get colder but they need to have an official recording station.

• Like 1

Posted

I certainly think there should be more official weather stations. The NRA has a great network of roadside stations in the Republic. I'm pretty sure a weather station somewhere along the clogher valley could record some very low temperatures on frosty nights with an inland location and decent sized hills on either side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
5 hours ago, na52 said:

The kids have adopted a few robins and finches this year , ya darnt leave a slice of toast down for a second before it's gone out the back

Certainly strange activity this year

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
3 hours ago, Donegal said:

Markree Castle in Sligo has the lowest temperature ever recorded for this island and it is only 5 miles or so from the coast. 

There's not enough weather stations, most are near the coast where its mildest, markree is an exception to the rule. Malin head has a completely different climate to me in inland Donegal beside Tyrone. 

All met eireann temperature recording stations in donegal are beside the coast except for one beside Raphoe but its on top on mini hill with low valleys beside it so its never going to be as cold there as the valley on the coldest nights. 

Castlederg recorded the coldest temperature in 2010 but it wouldn't surprise if other places in West Ulster got colder there just isn't enough weather stations to record it. NI has better temperature recording coverage than Donegal. I think the 4 stations here are Finner camp, Malin head both coastal. Glenties very near the coast and Raphoe. I remember seeing Kilygordon on the Nra road weather site recording similar temperatures to castlederg throughout 2010 but its not an official site.

I remember reading years ago that a place near omagh recorded -20 decades ago but they couldn't verify it. It was on Wikipedia so make of it what you want ha.

I never knew Markree castle was the coldest recorded. I was there about 15 years ago on a ghost hunt in its Chapel. The grounds on it are amazing.