Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder

Why do you guys think is the reason that these northerlys have been so marginal this winter? High Sea temps around our shores? Lack of polar sea ice further north?

I recall the 2017/2018 winter prior to the beast, had several polar north westerlies that brought a lot of snow up north and even a few light dustings down here. But this winter even straight northerlies seem to bring more rain and sleet than snow....

Just curious....  

Posted
40 minutes ago, Summer Snow said:

Why do you guys think is the reason that these northerlys have been so marginal this winter? High Sea temps around our shores? Lack of polar sea ice further north?

I recall the 2017/2018 winter prior to the beast, had several polar north westerlies that brought a lot of snow up north and even a few light dustings down here. But this winter even straight northerlies seem to bring more rain and sleet than snow....

Just curious....  

To me its a sign of Global warming ☹

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

To me its a sign of Global warming ☹

Same here, when you see the sea ice gone so far back and the stunning positive temp anomalies Barent and Kara Sea what do we expect. Winds from the north are simply running over far far higher surface temps November and December.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Snow said:

Just curious....  

I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Temperatures to our far North where the air mass is originating are 2 to 4 degrees above normal as a result of global warming, so by the time the air gets here  it's just too warm. I wonder whether early Winter snow is going to become a thing of the past.

Currently 2 degrees here at 500 feet and heavy rain for example.

• Thanks 2

Posted

Top temp today of 3.6c and currently -0.1c. serious amount of snow has survived in shaded areas, roads are lethal. Some lovely winter walks this last week and really don't want it to end!

• Like 2

Posted

I knew ECM was close earlier but didn't bloody know it was this close to a snowstorm there would be no problem with precipitation being to light if the cold air could edge South West over the next few runs for Wednesday would be and epic battle and hopefully we would be on the right side at the end.

Lol parts of England 35+cm when on the right side

ECH1-120.gif

ECH1-144.gif

overview_20210107_12_126.jpg

overview_20210107_12_123.jpg

850temp_20210107_12_129.jpg

snowdepth_20210107_12_150.jpg

Edited by booferking
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
21 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Top temp today of 3.6c and currently -0.1c. serious amount of snow has survived in shaded areas, roads are lethal. Some lovely winter walks this last week and really don't want it to end!

Yes I will be sad to see the mild return after the weekend ....although marginal, it has been on the whole an enoyable spell and I have seen snow fall on three different occasions (27th Decemeber, 31st December 7th Jan with small accumulations) , had lots of sunshine, numerous hard frosts and ice, freezing fog, hail and sleet showers from this weeks easterly which was wierd ....and it all kicked off when storm Bella went through on 26th Decenber...basically the kitchen sink thrown at us n winter weather terms in this 2 week period .....

From experience when we get several smaller snowfalls down here this early in the season,  it is followed up by more severe cold and heavier snow later......winter 2107/2018 being one example....I honestly believe that this winter is only getting started with much more fun and games to come.... 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Snow said:

Yes I will be sad to see the mild return after the weekend ....although marginal, it has been on the whole an enoyable spell and I have seen snow fall on three different occasions (27th Decemeber, 31st December 7th Jan with small accumulations) , had lots of sunshine, numerous hard frosts and ice, freezing fog, hail and sleet showers from this weeks easterly which was wierd ....and it all kicked off when storm Bella went through on 26th Decenber...basically the kitchen sink thrown at us n winter weather terms in this 2 week period .....

From experience when we get several smaller snowfalls down here this early in the season,  it is followed up by more severe cold and heavier snow later......winter 2107/2018 being one example....I honestly believe that this winter is only getting started with much more fun and games to come.... 

I have that feeling too, and had snow 3 times. My hunch based on previous experiences. Maybe this underway SSW or maybe not, but will expect another period of cold any time as far as mid April. Remember last spring and early summer, interesting times to be interested in weather. Looking forward to a break in the cold at least for the old folk who have enough to be worrying about to be honest. Old folks catching COVID in hospital after slipping on ice for instance. Plenty of time left for snow.

• Like 2

Posted

Hahah that would be funny if it stayed like that though , too far north yesterday ..not far enough north next week ....we will need to change the forum name to the goldilocks club

• Like 1

Posted

A few showers showing up on the radar moving down from the north. Anyone getting anything?

Posted
3 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

A few showers showing up on the radar moving down from the north. Anyone getting anything?

Came through here as sleet but last night was just rain for here so getting closer maybe 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Wee bit of sleet but mostly rain. There was heavy enough hail a while ago to turn the ground white.

Posted
15 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Sure am.

Rain at 1.5 degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

No shortage of showers here tonight, but all hail/graupel and just melting. The coldest uppers do seem to come in overnight, but do so as the pressure rises, so expect the showers to become less and less.

Posted

Pretty much had light rain for a few hours.

Not the merest hint of snow with a temperature of 1.5 degrees.

Across the water and much further South, they're getting loads more snow.

Posted

Another slight dusting here too. Temp is -1.3c. you seem to have done ok mountain shadow.

• Like 1