Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Hopefully the only one that's right!!   On the other hand, everyone mentions how crap Accuweather is now, so I will take a punt on that!  (The bar is very low however!)

That one is dire but it’s only the beeb showing snow for us

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

So I’m starting to think, unless we get a surprise snowfall (which have occurred here in the past few weeks), our snow fun might be over in Glasgow. Every time I look at the forecasts the snow has been pushed back again, it’s the short term equivalent of day 10 in the models.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

what elevation are you at?

I’m at 157m asl. It usually always snows here. In a way I hope it doesn’t cause I’m a carer and do need to get out in the morning which probably means we’ll wake to 30cm

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
15 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The thing that is giving me some hope for later (as far as precip goes maybe more than marginality at the moment) is comparing the current radar to the model output:

image.thumb.png.9b9206756282c72e12f33afba4009ed1.png image.thumb.png.dd2eb497845c10d9749de76364277e9d.pngimage.thumb.png.f82594fd83128992da31fd77484848a6.png

To me, the UKV looks to have a better grasp on the current situation in that:

• there's a line of precipitation to the west of the Solway Firth
  • there's moderate precipitation around the Irish Sea
  • the heavy stuff over East Yorkshire is better defined on the UKV

The NMM then goes on to move the precipitation almost entirely out into the North Sea over the next couple of hours, whereas the UKV sees more pushing northwestwards:

image.thumb.png.49221749eda187b08f79bf7abd8a003a.pngimage.thumb.png.9eb432fee8f298ed3a0731da98c15fff.png

I would tend to think the UKV will be closer on that at least, but we don't have too long to wait. If it is right, things do look better going into the evening where we should start to see rain turning to snow

Looks like that's what could be happening LS.   Nothing but light drizzle before tea and now we have snow falling and grass covered.  0.8c/0.5c/975.5mb/NE.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
4 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Sean Batty latest:

Great video - well worth a watch! Plenty of detail from North to South regarding snow potential.

Who knows on that one he's got me between 0,1,2,3 and 5 cm cmon Sean latest wrf nmm looks best on the back edge of the front a bit streamer esque. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Sean Batty latest:

Great video - well worth a watch! Plenty of detail from North to South regarding snow potential.

I see why we aren't covered by the amber warning now. We miss quite a lot of that snow, getting rain instead.

• Like 4

Posted

I’m still not under a weather warning so I’m still hopeful a small dusting in the wee small hours. Those in the east look like doing well in places. Just hope all the ingredients fall into place.

The system has started pivoting. While looking at the Netweather Radar press ‘Anim On’ and then compare the travel of the precipitation to when you hit ‘Anim Off’. The screenshots are for when I did it but when you watch it in motion you can see the progression much clearer. 

Fingers crossed @101_North will still be posting at 5am.

1E6B773B-308A-4A1C-95CE-F30AD0D8D9B2.png

AA533A97-3B98-4E90-8C1A-2DAEE5FD75C2.png

• Like 8

Posted
16 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Mrs 101 just doesn't get it  

Yeah it was a bit of a late one last night and potentially tonight too hopefully.

I can remember the days when at late one involved the pub.

Anyway fingers crossed most of the country can get something out of Christophe. ❄️

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

I've been watching the WV imagery as well. I don't think we should discount that digging short wave northwest of Ireland. The same feature helped feed that divergence band that sat over Scotland last night. It looks to be a player again in the orientation and progress of the front. 

SAT_1_202101201200_401.thumb.jpg.3e5e912319e15b72afc60b3ccd5de1d8.jpg

But yeah, we are in a key make or break window now!

I do like the look of this 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
4 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Was just out to get coal from the bunker and shone the flashlight into the fog. And a sparkling sea of snizzle glinted back - the tiniest of snow flakes but millions of them slowly cascading to the ground. Bootiful. 0.1°C.

Sigh....

We are fluctuating between 1.2C and 1.1C

• Like 7