Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

i keep looking for a decent radar app, is that one any good and predict the precip?

I just use the free Netweather radar app on Android. Works grand and a hell of a lot better than the AccuWeather one which is brutal. I find the postcode zoom on the Netweather one a decent feature.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I just had a keek outside and its...snawing...that's a nice surprise as earlier on it was just very cold pishy rain.

I've not had much time for weather watching this last week or so but looking back the thread its good to see that some have had decent snow and again the pictures are excellent...here we seem to be on the fringes of any snow so far this winter 1" max I would say is all that's fallen its quite frustrating but some is better than none I suppose.

If I could find the Fife Snaw Shield this would be the result - https://external-preview.redd.it/FSOQBEHx4GN_ZNjBpsneYCpc1NrwZCKfZdz_tlq-iME.gif?format=mp4&s=5d82b9081e50c81e75a037f60fb6700e0eb4bd3e

Current temperatures.

Air Temp -0.1deg/C

Ground Temp -0.2deg/C

Cloud Temp - -0.4deg/C...teetering on the edge of sleet/snow.

• Like 7

Posted

Still some light snow. Slight covering on the grass but that’s it. Lack of intensity and the marginality combining to thwart things here. 

Areas south of Edinburgh looking good at the moment. 

Really surprised it’s rain on the webcam at Leadhills.

• Like 5

Posted

Right! Bedtime as there's another shift with the pencils to deal with tomorrow

A nice surprise this evening. Anywhere between 2 - 3.5 inches depending on which surface you measure. Still falling but easing off. A wee freeze now would be great

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Couple of inches here radar looks like moving away from here now and Precip seems to be pivoting to the NE now out in the North sea.... Fab surprise be amazing if froze kids be back on the hill with a fast surface .... And this has stopped me thinking about what the hecks gonna happen tomorrow night although here was not looking like getting much of the Precip from what I could tell. 

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

Damn my inability to go the bed when it's snowing!

No as bad as going to bed, then waking up at 3AM like a wee bairn at christmas....

• Like 4

Posted

At the moment it’s looking like the precipitation tonight is going to be to the east of us right on the coast, I did have a feeling that last nights snow would be the better event, but I’m delighted with what we got last night ❄️

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

At the moment it’s looking like the precipitation tonight is going to be to the east of us right on the coast, I did have a feeling that last nights snow would be the better event, but I’m delighted with what we got last night ❄️

Be interesting , euro4 looks good for Edinburgh and Fife especially as the low develops / deepens and precipitation starts to rotate - but I’ll wait and see what Paul Blights update says

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 5

Posted

Something must have come down in the night as we have a thin layer of ice again... story of this winter for us...

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all.

Rain has stopped here, currently 2.7c. Met Office forecast is clear that coastal rain or sleet is expected tonight and tomorrow (as expected) so that’s me out the fun as usual 

Much better prospects for others in the Fife posse such as @Benvironment @Blitzen and @Big Innes Madori.

@Kirkcaldy Weather you’re a bit more sheltered from the North Sea influence than I am....some hope of seeing something?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Still some light snow falling here. Not been out with a stick yet but a good 3+ inches. Lovely surprise. Tonight looks rubbish on GFS but not checked anything else. I'm not sure any model or chart can be trusted at the minute

Yeah I am worried that tonight will be a miss for a lot of us. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just a light dusting here and temp up to 0.8/0.4C. Glad to see so many have had a decent fall of snow, our best chance still comes tomorrow but its looking touch and go despite the BBC TV forecasts making it look like we'll be burried. I'm hoping my altitude makes the difference and it's snow rather than the sleety mix most weather apps/websites are suggesting. 

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Yeah the main band is sitting to far East now 

Not on every model though  Looking forward to the updates rolling out later and watching the radar. Even GFS has snow here tomorrow morning as the ppn moves south again.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6