Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Hang on, the Met Office has just given me my sleet back for tomorrow. Hallelujah!

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Ross B said:

Updated warning out for tomorrow. More of an emphasis on freezing rain to begin with, then snow above 100m (5-10cm)  with 2-5cm lower levels overnight. If anything, the warning covers more of the south west.

Hedging their bets which I can't blame them for as it'll be down to nowcasting. 

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Snow level likely to be 100m north of the central belt, more likely 200m central belt south ❄️

Edited by Penicuikblizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Serac said:

Afternoon All,

it’s all getting very interesting

Question if I may , how do I put certain posters on ignore ? Absolutely not for anyone on this thread , but on the MOD I clearly want to start ignoring all the superb, informative and educational posts so I can concentrate on the inane wittering of the doom merchants and those doing the hysterically unfunny one liners

thanks and good luck to all in the bonus snow this week

What, there's posters in the MOD thread who post one-liners, usually to wind people up...never

On at PC at least, if you hover the mouse cursor over the person's icon to the left of the post you get a pop up which has an 'ignore user' option.

Well we did have a dusting, or a sprinkling, whichever is the smaller of those two, of snow overnight. Wasn't a cold night by recent standards at -0.5C at the coldest and it's currently up to 1.7C, but dewpoint stubbornly sub zero all day. A nice sunny day with a bit of a breeze and patches of snow/ice easily surviving in the shade.

MetO has Alford down for a sleety, rainy mix on Thursday, but with temps of 1 or 2C my extra height might just make the difference. I'd certainly expect the forestry trails further up the hill to get a fresh covering of snow.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Current stats for here:-

1.6c/-0.3c/87% humidity/1015.6mb/4.9mph/S/00mm rainfall and the braw day continues!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I love these type of events 

Will it? or won’t it? Nobody knows! 

Sleet is forecast for here, we have to wait and see. Good luck to everyone

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

At Straiton the met have us down for 24hrs of sleet yay can’t wait

Penicuik will do well I lived there for many years and it always seems to do really well in the marginal situations ❄️❄️

Be amazed if we see anything in town / at the coast .. be back up Arthurs seat tomorrow tho with the sledge

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Snow resigned to mountain tops in Fort William but still sort of lying a bit on ground at points. 

ben-nevis-and-fort-william20210112160302000.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, petewaugh said:

Feb 2002. NextDocument.thumb.jpeg.76be52ae7b79432e5a3461c01cbc979e.jpeg   One for Shuggee - he'll know where this is.

Ha ha Pete - it's a 50mph chicane over that bridge on Holms Water! Get the JCB out.

Max of -1.1C this afternoon, but not an ice day as at 00:01 it was +0.7C. 

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, shuggee said:

Ha ha Pete - it's a 50mph chicane over that bridge on Holms Water! Get the JCB out.

Max of -1.1C this afternoon, but not an ice day as at 00:01 it was +0.7C. 

It needed a JCB. You can still see the tine marks from the JCB bucket at various places on the road into Broughton. I've a great video of that day somewhere.

• Like 1

Posted

The further outlook from the MetO starting to sound very decent 

Screenshot_20210112_165358_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.479b9752e4eeadf04e17111481ef8bf6.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
26 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Was it not 2001?

Only reason I ask is because Feb 2001 gave me the most insane overnight snowfall I've ever seen. Literally 50cm+ over the course of a day and a bit and extreme drifting over single story bungalows etc. If I remember correctly it was a low pressure system that stalled on the south coast of the UK and left the central belt and Southern parts of Scotland in the firing line for strong easterly winds and relentless snowfall. 

Edit:

27th of February, found the chart... 

Screenshot_20210112_163353_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1e1f8ac618b8e7e7e84cdd9e25ac6111.jpg

Aye, you're correct. I couldn't recall exactly. I've never seen anything like it (inc '62).

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Somewhere's getting utterly pasted...but where? Also going to be a lot of people with wet snow and a big bowl of tears too

I'll throw my hat into the ring for that last one, Catch lol 

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Somewhere's getting utterly pasted...but where? Also going to be a lot of people with wet snow and a big bowl of tears too

Yep. It won't be me with the tears as I know what to expect here, 20 years of net weather experience on these

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yeah I'm a positive person and it's not reverse psychology... Unless an upgrade on how low the dewpoints go i can't see anything decent here. 

Tim you are cursed.... Move away please

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

Was it not 2001?

Only reason I ask is because Feb 2001 gave me the most insane overnight snowfall I've ever seen. Literally 50cm+ over the course of a day and a bit and extreme drifting over single story bungalows etc. If I remember correctly it was a low pressure system that stalled on the south coast of the UK and left the central belt and Southern parts of Scotland in the firing line for strong easterly winds and relentless snowfall. 

Edit:

27th of February, found the chart... 

Screenshot_20210112_163353_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1e1f8ac618b8e7e7e84cdd9e25ac6111.jpg

I was living in Penicuik back then and we had 30cm level snow from that event and the drifts were just ridiculous ❄️❄️

• Like 8