Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Good to 'see on the radar' once more, showers over the Western Isles. The Druim a’Starraig radar is back online. 

0225radarstorn.png

• Like 9
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 7.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and gentlemen you are not going to believe it. After a wait of almost 3 years... 😮  

I don't suppose I have anything to complain about this winter...      .      

I've waited years to get a picture of the house covered with snow.  Finally!  

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A couple of years ago I rebuilt the Land Rover on a new galvanised chassis and treated it to new suspension and steering units. This year, as is only fair, I'm treating the comfy car to new performance parts for the engine and new struts for the air suspension. It's almost complete so I went up to Glasgow this afternoon to check on the work being done. I can therefore testify that the wind conditions are thus: southerly and strong, strong enough to make the northerly journey over the moor uncannily placid and the southerly one almost deafening in a soft top Land Rover. And very slow. Still, it was dry and bright, occasionally sunny, and altogether very pleasant to be out in.

Temperature 6.7deg.C down from a maximum of 9.0deg.C at 13:35 and up from a minimum of 5.0deg.C at 08:07, humidity is 82%, wind has died away to nothing from a maximum gust of 16mph southerly at 12:00, pressure is 1027.5hPa rising fast, there's been 1.4mm of rain in the early morning and cloud cover has generally been around 3/8.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    49 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

A couple of years ago I rebuilt the Land Rover on a new galvanised chassis and treated it to new suspension and steering units. This year, as is only fair, I'm treating the comfy car to new performance parts for the engine and new struts for the air suspension. It's almost complete so I went up to Glasgow this afternoon to check on the work being done. I can therefore testify that the wind conditions are thus: southerly and strong, strong enough to make the northerly journey over the moor uncannily placid and the southerly one almost deafening in a soft top Land Rover. And very slow. Still, it was dry and bright, occasionally sunny, and altogether very pleasant to be out in.

Temperature 6.7deg.C down from a maximum of 9.0deg.C at 13:35 and up from a minimum of 5.0deg.C at 08:07, humidity is 82%, wind has died away to nothing from a maximum gust of 16mph southerly at 12:00, pressure is 1027.5hPa rising fast, there's been 1.4mm of rain in the early morning and cloud cover has generally been around 3/8.

Trying to guess what the comfy car is... If it's worth upgrading the engine and replacing suspension, hmmm, as well as being called primarily comfy? 

My first guess is Jag.

• Like 5
    Posted

It's not worth it. I just want to.

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

It's not worth it. I just want to.

Vauxhall Chevette then.

• Like 5
    Posted

Smarty pants.

(slightly soiled)

• Like 2
    Posted

55 plate Fiat 500?

Might make an air frost tonight... And 7 days time might be 'interesting'? 

• Like 9
    Posted

Just broke the double digit barrier today with a max of 10.1c.

Plenty of sunshine but not as strong as yesterday thanks to a lot of high level cloud, for example...

image.thumb.png.7e7ea01649489b9a88859c7ac009e130.png

In there somewhere are some military jets.  Plenty of airforce activity round here today which is unusual as they tend to avoid here due to the proximity of Aberdeen Airport.

Nagging strong cold wind again making a unwelcome appearance, though good for the wind generators.

Down to 2.2c now, so possibly the first air frost for over a week - the crystal clear skies at the moment will help this, pity no aurora is forecast.

Edit - just read this article, fascinating and alarming considering the possible effect on the climate here - Atlantic Ocean circulation at weakest in a millennium, say scientists

Edited by Quinach
    Added article
    • Like 8
    Posted

Citreon DS..? 

Another day of sun, showers and wind. 

2 weeks ago we were drooling when we saw weather like this rolling in. 

IMG_20210225_172550.jpg

• Like 8
    Posted

Phantom?

I put air dampers on a Guzzi T4 a long time ago, they made all the difference.  The fork springs were way too stiff though and I couldn't afford the air loaded replacements. Also the linked brakes were not that brilliant, but the engine was much better than expected - loads of top end power.... ah, those were the days.

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Good to hear about the wee cat sanserit, ours in an indoor cat but I still worry about her getting out and vanishing.  Lovely gold sunrise in my kitchen window this morning, really nice start to the day. We're supposed to be starting the landscaping today. Wish me luck Kilties and if the husband vanishes then you'll know he asked for it.

And a patio would be nice anyway.

asun.jpg

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A very pleasant feeling sunny day outside, not much more than I can say than that. Noticed on the dog walk yesterday afternoon that there's very little snow left on the surrounding hills now, only hanging on where it's been both drifted and shaded. Haven't been up the hill on the forestry tracks since last Saturday though, they might still be hanging on to more.

• Like 8
    Posted

Glorious day. 

9.4c and climbing after a overnight low of -1.1c.  Unbroken sunshine and calm conditions, the latter allowing it to feel warm outside as the sun now packs a bit of a punch around midday.

Sunlounger going to get an airing me thinks ⛱️

• Like 8
    Posted

Full sun all day here and quite warm early afternoon.  Plenty hot water from the panels.

Colder mornings next week apparently.

Lesser celandine flowering nicely locally.

• Like 8
    Posted

Maxed out at 12.1c so the warmest day of the year so far.

Looking at the forecast, wondering how long it will be before I can say that again.

Sun loungers got aired, then occupied by the kids for the rest of the afternoon which was not exactly the plan....

At least they were outside getting fresh air even if it was spent doing video calls and that Tik Tok stuff with their friends.

Certainly put the family in the mood for spring now, cold weather can wait until next winter if we can get this type of weather until summer - aye, wishful thinking...

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Would be good to get a bit more wintry weather, I was thinking it would keep with the dry weather but the high might position enough to the north and we get a brief easterly 🤔 ECM1-192.thumb.gif.a21a0194cd99727d8a6f5cfada8c9f04.gif

gfsnh-1-228.thumb.png.c95c2444d1c98970d6d3915614113c3c.pnggfsnh-1-240.thumb.png.7e8e3ecefbc094132c9e4237d5bb5ee7.png

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just let the dog out for a wee and it's lighter out there than its been during the day some days recently. The moon is really bright,and casting very obvious shadows.

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, after what can only be described as a particularly sh1tty week of Scottish weather, spring has finally arrived! On Tuesday I recorded a 62mph gust and Wednesday wasn't much better.  The driveway was like a river but all the ditches did their job well. Now it is calm, sunny with a temp of 11c so a wee spell in the garden today to start the much needed weeding. It's looking good for the coming wee too, so I'm going to make the best of it with as many walks as I can cram in. Hips and knees are beginning to seize up, which is not good! 

• Like 9
    Posted
    On 25/02/2021 at 20:29, shuggee said:

55 plate Fiat 500?

No, but my younger daughter had one and I quite liked it.

On 25/02/2021 at 21:15, Cheggers said:

Citreon DS..? 

No, but I wish! The second most beautiful car design ever. We had one on the farm when I was learning to drive but it had a hydraulic semi-automatic pre-selector gearbox that meant I wasn't allowed anywhere near it.

On 25/02/2021 at 23:21, Hairy Celt said:

Phantom?

I put air dampers on a Guzzi T4 a long time ago, they made all the difference.  The fork springs were way too stiff though and I couldn't afford the air loaded replacements. Also the linked brakes were not that brilliant, but the engine was much better than expected - loads of top end power.... ah, those were the days.

Phantom?

Moto Guzzi 850 T4, wow, a serious bit of kit indeed, shaft drive and all.

On the weather front - disappointing.

• Like 5
    Posted

Cracking eveing last night, moon was so bright. 

IMG_20210226_212153.jpg

• Like 6