Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Chilly again with a -1.1C minimum so forty sixth air frost. Only 0.7C at nearly 11am, but weak sunshine and a feeling of anticipation. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Yesterday the cloud cleared leaving a sunny blue sky that made my walk around the village a real joy. Today has again started a bit grey and overcast but it's still bright enough and it's dry, which is nice.

Temperature 2.7deg.C up from a minimum of 0.1deg.C at 00:09, humidity is 87%, wind 2 to 5mph east-northeasterly with a maximum gust of 8mph at 12:07, pressure is 1031.6hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 4

Posted

Despite the cloud yesterday it didn't feel too bad (broke briefly for a small spell of sun) today completely different. It's chilly!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Grey, drizzle hanging in the air at times and distinctly chilly. Not a day to be enjoyed or remembered.

• Like 5

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Grey, drizzle hanging in the air at times and distinctly chilly. Not a day to be enjoyed or remembered.

Couldn't put it better, same here and surprisingly cool with a max of 5.2c.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
46 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Same here. Cold and cloudy and a dampness in the air at times.

• Like 7

Posted

Kind of the same here; temperature got up to 3.2deg.C at 14:27 but the cloud never cleared all day and, although it remained dry and fairly windless, it felt unusually bitter outside. I even turned the heating back on. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, hasn't the weather been kind to us this week?  Another stoater of a day ahead, cloud clearing and plenty of blue sky now on show. Daffs are at the stage where they are beginning to bow their heads so I expect some in bloom soon. Another walk ahead today to make the most of the sunshine. Really does improve the mood and chase the Covid blues away! Should also get some more garden tidying done over the next few days. I see that Tuesday evening/night could be a bit on the fresh side, so will keep an eye on that one. Current temp is 3.1c, very calm and sunny. Love it! ☀️

• Like 9

Posted

Showery overnight only light but snowing just a few miles inland. Currently dull light NE wind and 3c.

I see the Royal Highland Show (21st June)was cancelled last night after trying to hang on after all the others  were  cancelled  so not much on the farming calendar this year.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Grey murk again although the MetO app teases us with a sun face this afternoon.

Just been looking at the PHS dashboard for covid and see there's a significant drop in the vaccination rate since about 3 weeks ago. Have I missed an explanation for this? Well obviously, I have, but does anyone know what's happened?

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Grey murk again although the MetO app teases us with a sun face this afternoon.

Just been looking at the PHS dashboard for covid and see there's a significant drop in the vaccination rate since about 3 weeks ago. Have I missed an explanation for this? Well obviously, I have, but does anyone know what's happened?

Read somewhere that supplies have dipped while a new factory is brought on stream but will almost double when both factories are fully operational so its a supply chain problem

• Like 8

Posted

Well hark at you @mistyqueen with your blue sky and daffs on the way. Not here. There was some drizzle early on and it remained dull until an hour or so ago, but it's brightening up a bit now although still overcast and the ground is drying up.

Temperature 4.6deg.C down from a max of 5.3deg.C at 11:36 and up from a min of 0.4deg.C at 03:23, humidity is 83%, wind 3 to 8mph easterly with a max gust of 10mph at 10:51, pressure is 1032.7hPa rising slowly, there's been 0.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Been a couple of days of wall to wall grey in Glasgow, although the sun briefly poked through at lunchtime today. Also quite bitter in the wind.

Cold weather is absolutely no fun from March onwards. Despite this being around my birthday time this can be a tough time of year I find. Lengthening nights not matched by real increases in temperature are quite discombobulating, even though it happens pretty much every year.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

E'ning all!

Sorry for my absence/return (depending on your point of view!}... LOL.   Been pretty busy over the past couple of weeks helping my daughter move house.

I trust everyone is okay and all broken bones on the mend!  (HC)?

Weather here has been overcast and quite chilly at times with the gritters making an appearance overnight again.

Currently 2.4c/-1.4c/1032.4mb/NE.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
56 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Bitterly cold day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom™.

Max temperature of just 4.0c and overnight low of 0.9c (temperature held up by overnight showers of rain).

A stiff breeze at times making things feel artic and downright unpleasant, even though it stayed dry.

Made an attempt to tidy up the garden and the damage from the frost at the start of February is now becoming clearer - the Pyracantha has been severely damaged (possibly terminally), which is extraordinary as they are usually bullet proof to at least -17c.

image.thumb.png.50968557f014ba9761eb4d36297284cb.png

As for the lawn, well it makes a good impression of a Border Terrier's fur coat at the moment.  Going to take a bit of stripping to get this back into order!

image.thumb.png.b705d7c160d0ed3f0b886815b5a2c604.png

If wanting to use some spare time in a useful way, the National Library of Scotland have a lovely site where you can see old maps of where you live and also compare them with the current satellite view.

Fascinating seeing the changes over time.  And you have to admire the skill and patience of the artists that drew up the maps manually back in the 1800's.  The number of old railways is amazing, even up here in NE Scotland.  Such a sad waste of so much effort that many of them are now gone.

Snag_3ece5e.thumb.png.ddb607b99b701d39ad79cc113f920da2.png

Snag_3f371b.thumb.png.041a79a1464ed0ef7d9c1e78dd61f248.png

Not a fan of Pyracanthus - all odd angles and pointy ends. My mother had one at her last garden, it hid under a lovely big buddleia and stabbed at me every time I needed to prune the buddleia. Awkward customer.

The online map library though, I share your pleasure there! Many happy hours wasted looking at places changing through time.

Oh... weather. Cold and grey, no sun at all, a bit of wind to make it even crappier than yesterday.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
10 hours ago, Quinach said:

Bitterly cold day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom™.

Max temperature of just 4.0c and overnight low of 0.9c (temperature held up by overnight showers of rain).

A stiff breeze at times making things feel artic and downright unpleasant, even though it stayed dry.

Made an attempt to tidy up the garden and the damage from the frost at the start of February is now becoming clearer - the Pyracantha has been severely damaged (possibly terminally), which is extraordinary as they are usually bullet proof to at least -17c.

image.thumb.png.50968557f014ba9761eb4d36297284cb.png

As for the lawn, well it makes a good impression of a Border Terrier's fur coat at the moment.  Going to take a bit of stripping to get this back into order!

image.thumb.png.b705d7c160d0ed3f0b886815b5a2c604.png

If wanting to use some spare time in a useful way, the National Library of Scotland have a lovely site where you can see old maps of where you live and also compare them with the current satellite view.

Fascinating seeing the changes over time.  And you have to admire the skill and patience of the artists that drew up the maps manually back in the 1800's.  The number of old railways is amazing, even up here in NE Scotland.  Such a sad waste of so much effort that many of them are now gone.

Snag_3ece5e.thumb.png.ddb607b99b701d39ad79cc113f920da2.png

Snag_3f371b.thumb.png.041a79a1464ed0ef7d9c1e78dd61f248.png

Fascinating maps thanks for the link

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, Blitzen said:

E'ning all!

Sorry for my absence/return (depending on your point of view!}... LOL.

Thank Evans you're back. The balance of power in here can now move back towards sanity, sartorial scantiness, and suave sophistication. It's a fine day.

Temperature 2.9deg.C up from a minimum of 1.5deg.C at 07:31, humidity is 69%, wind is 0 to 1mph south-southeasterly, pressure is 1038.2hPa rising slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and although cloud cover is 8/8 it's thin enough to allow a decent amount of brightness. The dew point, interestingly, is at -2deg.C, which is lower than it's been for weeks.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

Looks like another copy and paste sort of day again here with the cloud rolling in.  

3.4c/-1.4c/1035.4/WNW/calm. Overnight low of 0.7c

Thanks Piffy!...(I think)

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Started off grey and cold at 1 c but sun broke through.   Fine in sunshine but cold in shade almost a ground frost in very sheltered areas. Higher mountains round Firth have fresh caps of snow.

• Like 4