Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
9 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Are we talking something similar to Feb/March 2018 here? That easterly created a streamer that buried Glasgow, especially areas just north of the city.

EDIT: looking at the chart posted above Stormeh, I’m guessing it might be? I recall colleagues from Kilmarnock and elsewhere in Ayrshire being shocked when they saw how much snow had fallen in Glasgow.

I don’t know a lot but from what I can remember, I think the angle of attack is crucial for a streamer. That was a fairly flat easterly while the most likely route at the moment looks to be a North Easterly. Anyone please correct me if wrong.

That was amazing though. I live very near the west coast and the streamer came down the clyde and combined with showers also making through from slightly further North. Got 10-15 cm’s plus drifts and got experience temporary blizzard like conditions during the most intense showers. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

The SSW Bring Cold Air seems to have jumped 40 Hours Ahead and will bring stronger lows a much better Run this time. 

236792663_gensnh-0-1-192(7).thumb.png.514b9d3defdd44070475fb8be88c4969.png1367654556_gensnh-0-1-240(3).thumb.png.5a1d3363eef37a18b6c6bd9be36371b6.pnggensnh-0-0-264.thumb.png.c5c59c9491968742ed3fc0f528d4c4d7.png

Snowmaggedon

gfs-16-324.thumb.png.0bed022386d8e8450569be5b46c67757.png

• Like 8

Posted

Wednesday looks odd on the good old XC phone display

Obviously appreciate it's the uppers that dun it guv, but that would have some folk rather upset! 

IMG_20210110_175406.png

• Like 7

Posted
25 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Wednesday looks odd on the good old XC phone display

Obviously appreciate it's the uppers that dun it guv, but that would have some folk rather upset! 

IMG_20210110_175406.png

I see your ice day and I raise you fantasy, nonsense, never happening, snow symbols  

Screenshot_20210110-190714.thumb.png.f4d5912fb06ba5b8f736cc4b915979d1.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

not in this new world, i believe your app

mine showing snow tomorrow and 6c  then snow wed and Thu, tbf i see a small chance on Thu which could upgrade as seems to be staying relsatively chilly in this area with a limited warm up, was only 2c at 12c today. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:

Just catching up with an old South African friend now living in on East Coast of Iceland, and they had storms a few days ago, wind and ice. 

FB_IMG_1610302237785.jpg

Is that the Popemobile? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

There will be lots going on best to take it a day at a time so focus for us should be tomorrow and later on Wednesday I’ll start with Wednesday as big uncertainty with the movement of that front but maybe one that could stall and produce snow especially higher areas C7BF0C97-5462-4A95-A38B-935D8448894C.thumb.png.5b93de249cef6874a517983ad5c4121a.png plenty more runs required on that one. Tomorrow if I’m punting where could see snow it’s a line from @Northernlights across to @Ravelin maybe a bit of lighter snow slightly further south but those look the main areas to me, it’s a front with cold air tucking into the back of it 850s nothing amazing around -2 to -4 but dewpoints probably will be just about supportive for snow. 8D990257-4FDC-4F27-BCA4-537BBF83F703.thumb.png.6494b20072a78318d8364cd3bdd62b89.png

• Like 9

Posted

A horrid day. Thaw and cold drizzle. Very unpleasant taking down the Christmas lights this afternoon. Snow gone except for the odd patch of hard packed ice. 

From what I can work out from the mad house, the ECM isn’t playing ball at the moment in terms of bringing in cold. Posts seem to be disappearing as fast as they are written!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

O/T, but worth a post as it's ice.

Basically sea ice (drift ice) extent just about joining Greenland and Iceland together. Not sure when this last happened but not common ? Denmark Strait full of ice. And as the crow flies (or aircraft), just 2.5 hours from here  

Took this pic few minutes ago with DIY soft and hardware. Open up for great detail. Last pic is a super definition 9Mb size. 

drift (3).jpg

boundary.jpg

eur_retouched (2).png

Is the 1st one IR?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
39 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

We would need shovels ❄️

I'd be seeing if the snow blower (probably bought by a previous owner around 2009/10) that has been sitting in the garage since I bought the house actually works. Its a stunning run, but right on the bottom end of the GFS ensembles. We can but dream. 

No such problem this morning, currently 5.7C after an overnight high of 6.4C around 5am.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! 8c here this morning, accompanied by horizontal rain. Sheesh! 8c!!! Dreich muck in place of gin clear skies and white frost. I'll take the frost any day! Liking the look of the charts posted on here, so thought I'd fling a beauty into the mix. We can dream, can't we? 

uksnowrisk (2) 3.png

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Moaning!

Yuk.   Very dark this morning.   Windy and the rain setting in.  6.6c/WSW 19mph.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 6