Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and gentlemen you are not going to believe it. After a wait of almost 3 years... 😮  

I don't suppose I have anything to complain about this winter...      .      

I've waited years to get a picture of the house covered with snow.  Finally!  

Posted Images

Posted
    1 hour ago, 101_North said:

-11.4c on the garden sensor 🥶🥶🥶 Impressive for a suburban location! 

Could be a 18c swing by Tuesday next week up to +9c 😳

• Like 4
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Could be a 18c swing by Tuesday next week up to +9c 😳

Can't wait! Really Looking forward to some sleety pish on Sunday too 😢

• Like 6
    Posted

A few snow showers have appeared on the horizon to the NE over the North Sea, A real reminder of December 2010 where showers appeared over the sea with the intense cold but hardly seemed to move in the calm conditions.

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Two very  different airmasses heading together, a spell of snow over in Ireland and a band of light snow showers to the North East ,the approaching front from the West losing precipitation quickly as it hits the very cold dry air ,interesting to watch .

Screenshot_20210211_101434_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    1 hour ago, Bumsliding said:

I've always found car temperature readings to be not dissimilar to those of the nearest official sites - when I see pictures like this it does make me wonder how cold it really gets in sweet spots with no official station. 

No thermometer here but it feels a little redundant just now to quote numbers - it's freezing! 🥶 but lovely and sunny. I often find the main perk of cold spells during winter, and especially now given the strength of the sun, is that you can do a little bit of living room sunbathing 🙂 

I think that one problem with  the car readings is their height from the ground. Official readings are at a specific height and most of the time in frosty conditions it is substantially colder at ground level. 
    Meanwhile my modest minimum of -11.2C  is my coldest since earlyDecember 2010.  Gorgeous morning too!
    My accurite went a bit  colder but I do not trust their readings. A couple up in Highland Perthshire had -25.4C and -24.5 respectively which is well too low.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
    1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Saturday risk is looking a bit rubbish currently - patchy snow!

15:00

55D3A6AE-5E68-4BE2-B80A-7BB945C3727D.thumb.png.6cf7822e3574b4093cdfd1672f1ca531.png

18:00

97321E17-1938-4D2D-B240-8EBC06C68829.thumb.png.7b491f5a333d66d624eea1738dc4bffc.png

21:00

BF1422A3-D257-4921-A1EF-F75AFC38FED2.thumb.png.01fd78084bd93dd580705e049069f80c.png

Met Office have just updated the warning for Saturday.

E83FD9C1-6C53-4930-B590-F4C89156659B.thumb.jpeg.2c6dc7a8a9b509e7337b3b41fa921455.jpegC65723A8-5A39-470A-99E9-92297A3A152F.thumb.jpeg.45f51f519aa0915e0e593f2b9f8ab37e.jpeg89B9BEEE-6398-4CBC-861A-CA36132002CA.thumb.jpeg.9db856b48311c6a6668aaf558a482205.jpeg

For all of us in the warning just expect some light snowfall at the very least and with a bit of luck we will all get a heavy snowfall surprise! 
    Hopefully the band of snow makes it into western Scotland with a bit of oomph! - Northern Ireland the sweet spot at the moment for the heavy stuff.

Edited by Mr Frost
    • Like 7
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that one problem with  the car readings is their height from the ground. Official readings are at a specific height and most of the time in frosty conditions it is substantially colder at ground level. 
    Meanwhile my modest minimum of -11.2C  is my coldest since earlyDecember 2010.  Gorgeous morning too!
    My accurite went a bit  colder but I do not trust their readings. A couple up in Highland Perthshire had -25.4C and -24.5 respectively which is well too low.

I hope this isn't derailing the thread, but would height above the ground be countered by the fact they are above a road surface, not typically covered in deep snow unlike almost all official sites just now?! 

• Like 6
    Posted
    1 hour ago, A Winter's Tale said:

Does anyone know the coldest temperatures recorded in February 1985 and 1979? We could be looking at the coldest temperature in February since 1955!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/library-and-archive/archive-hidden-treasures/monthly-weather-reports

The Met Office has -16.4C at Lagganlia (in Glen Feshie, on the west side of the Cairngorms) on 9 Feb 1979, and -17.7C, also at Lagganlia, on 15 Feb 1985, so last night was easily lower. I think I read or heard somewhere that it has been confirmed as the lowest Feb temperature since 1955.

• Like 7
    Posted

Alex Deakin' s MO video forecast yesterday, said there was potential in some areas to get freezing rain, on Saturday. More likely in NW England.

• Like 4
    Posted

Minus 17c at 0930 this morning according to the pickup so could have been a little colder earlier on. Not in a particular frost hollow here so pretty exceptional stuff. 

IMG_20210211_092412.jpg

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
    3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Ask yourself, do we really need any more? ☺️

Mmmm thinks extremely briefly 😉

• Like 6
    Posted
    44 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Last one of the day - excitement of it all is too much for me now! 😆😃

-23.0C! Winter 2020/21 has now peaked! That official minimum temperature will not be beaten this month. 😃

I’m delighted we’ve achieved an incredible -23.0C. It’s amazing to think that only 13 years since 1875 have recorded a lower temperature - and only 2 years between 1920 and 1978. Only twice (1895 and 1955) has February recorded a lower temperature. Interesting to see some other stations saw record low temperatures. I wonder where Sean gets the data for station records. 

• Like 9
    Posted

Well we’re still at -0.1c at Midday, pretty good going for a stones throw from the sea. Leuchars at -4c.

Still a few wintry days to go but on the plus side, when the thaw hits, it’ll be easier to keep track of the posts on this thread 🤣

• Like 7
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

-23.0C! Winter 2020/21 has now peaked! That official minimum temperature will not be beaten this month. 😃

Surprised nobody in the PR department at the Met Office didn't headline it as "coldest night in the UK this century".  Suppose the Express already has that up somewhere...

• Like 7