Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    5 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I’m on the south side of Glasgow and the main roads are fine. I’d expect the depths are a bit more towards Bearsden but I doubt it’s radically worse than here.

Thanks. I phoned her and found she had stopped at Morrisons to get the shopping. All well.

• Like 7
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 7.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and gentlemen you are not going to believe it. After a wait of almost 3 years... 😮  

I don't suppose I have anything to complain about this winter...      .      

I've waited years to get a picture of the house covered with snow.  Finally!  

Posted Images

Posted
    1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Hard to find the perfect spot to measure due to the wind but the driveway is between 32-34cm. 

20210210_091403_crop_465x811.thumb.jpg.0ba812e605dbf5c8b6d46e4a322727f8.jpg

if only there was a way to describe the position between 32 and 34cm! 😁

Not quite that depth in Morningside - I measured 20cm in the garden this morning.

Edited by pdiddy
    • Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
    28 minutes ago, Falkirk Snow said:

Standard garden table pics lol

20210210_075022.jpg

20210210_075039.jpg

Shows the difference 5 miles makes, only about 4 inches here. Still not bad and probably the deepest it's been in over 10 years here.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    Just now, Sunny Leith said:

Dear god, hope you're OK. Only a kilted forum stalwart would possibly break an arm and still manage to give a local report! Let us all know how you get on.

Will do!

• Like 8
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    52 minutes ago, Norrance said:

The more Northerly element in the flow reduced the number and intensity of the showers a lot here but I think we still picked up an extra cm or two. Still a flurry this morning which until two days ago I would have git quite excited about.😀

The view from my front door this morning. 
    ps. Anyone in North Glasgow. Are the roads ok? My daughter finished a night shift at 8AM in Bearsden but doesnt appear to be home yet? @A Winter's Tale?

8426F7CC-9196-44A9-9E15-7BF99269BB63.jpeg

The roads are fine now. Traffic was slower last night after a few showers but other than that it’s been okay. 

• Like 1
    Posted

Well we even joined in the fun overnight waking up to a 5cm coating on top of the exiting stuff, so must have had a blob come over. Temp went down to -5.9C so thirty ninth air frost.

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
    21 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

image.thumb.png.16413700d94ce32f6722fc443950ea0c.pngwondering whether there is another blob heading our way as a final hurrah?

Looks like a few Anstruther clippers might squeeze their way over here, wouldn't bet on intensity, suspect these are going to fade in potency.

• Like 5
    Posted

Will send in some pictures later but ended up with 28-29cm level here SE of Perth. Those depths didn’t even cross my mind 48 hours ago. Was expecting 15-20cm at very best. The last 48 hours here saw some of the most relentless snowfall rates I have ever seen. Exceeding 3” per hour at times and lasting 15-30 minutes at a time. I am just going to round my numbers up to a foot of snow. I wonder how long the snow shovel piles will last? 

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    5 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

I wonder how long the snow shovel piles will last? 

I'm estimating that even with a warm up to above normal temps the snow piles around my driveway, and the ploughed piles along the minor road, will last well into March. With the depth of snow that must be on the trails and the hill behind my house, I'd say that there will be remnants of snow up there well into April if not longer.

• Like 3
    Posted
    27 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

moaning.

not about the snow, we have 30cms at least here.

Went out to feed the birds, slipped, and I think I have broken my arm or put my shoulder out!   Gawd, the pain!  

Hospital job unfortunately!

-2.7c/-4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Take care - hope it’s not too serious!

Another snow shower passing through Pittenweem, short lived but heavy. 0.4c.

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
    1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

Latest GFS has the cold winning the battle and we get a re-load Easterly in FI...  a trend to watch out for!

Indeed let's see what the Ukmo and ECM say on their runs later maybe a brief mild spell followed by the high building much more to our North East ,that little polar low that was showing the other day and pretty much disappeared from the fax charts might be reappearing snow warnings now issued for Friday for the east it would be very light snow at best I'd say will keep an eye on it 

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
    11 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Latest GFS has the cold winning the battle and we get a re-load Easterly in FI...  a trend to watch out for!

Noticed that. It would certainly kill the uppers and further snow chances for a while, but the surface cold in a Southerly/SSE-erly/SE-erly up the spine of the UK (if that's how the flow turns out) would keep a lot of the snow on the ground for quite a while - could feel even more bitter actually. Would generally work locally even here, as we get to pretend that we're "inland" (LOL) relative to Berwick-upon-Tweed, and as long as we can maintain night ground frosts at least.

Edited by Sunny Leith
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
    39 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

moaning.

not about the snow, we have 30cms at least here.

Went out to feed the birds, slipped, and I think I have broken my arm or put my shoulder out!   Gawd, the pain!  

Hospital job unfortunately!

-2.7c/-4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Oh my! Sending our love, hope you get seen quickly x let us know how you get on xx 

• Like 7