Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
20 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

FA24B6B4-131C-41A1-8E09-439F394A2EB8.thumb.png.0bc88c55ed20375649e38352b52c4dee.png

A very similar set up to what we have now from Feb 1991,,,I remember this being a snowy easterly up here ❄️❄️ The SE of England was also buried,,,,,anyone remember Francis Wilson ramping up this event

I remember it being snowy too, in Glasgow. Looking at the temperatures though it wasn’t particularly cold with Leuchars recording no ice days and only one day with a max below 2c. This makes me wonder how the immediate coast faired. I think the coldest air remained further south with that event.

• Like 9

Posted
26 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

FA24B6B4-131C-41A1-8E09-439F394A2EB8.thumb.png.0bc88c55ed20375649e38352b52c4dee.png

A very similar set up to what we have now from Feb 1991,,,I remember this being a snowy easterly up here ❄️❄️ The SE of England was also buried,,,,,anyone remember Francis Wilson ramping up this event

I used to love his breakfast tv forecasts, he loved ramping up the snow.

Edited by Polar Side
  • Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, Zerouali lives said:

I've actually heard that a place called Coalcleugh near Allenheads is the highest in Britain

It hits 525 metres ASL, that's seriously high. It's classified as a hamlet according to a quick google search but there only seems to be a couple of houses there. 

After the heavy snow in the early hours, woke up this morning to sleet and wet snow. Another hour or two and there will be no marginality.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Good morning one and all, and what a fine morning it is. Sun's out, rain's stopped, wind has almost disappeared and we have the rugby to worry about rather than the possibility of snow. Plus we have a valid excuse, should one be needed, to open a few bottles of beer at lunchtime and snuggle down in front of Italy v France, which should be an entertaining interlude before the main course at tea time.

Temperature 4.1deg.C up from minimum of 2.3deg.C at 07:47, humidity is 87%, wind 2 to 5mph with a max gust of 18mph at 05:23, pressure is 1016.8 rising slowly, there's been 0.2mm of rain today, cloud cover is 7/8 and the dew point is at 2deg.C.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer

Flurries of snow here - nothing settling - yet apparently Westhill is snowbound 5 miles away

It’s a bit of a damp squib here so far - can only hope that once this system moves southwards and colder easterlies get established that we will see some decent shower activity in the coming days.

• Like 8

Posted
49 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The Scandi high on Thursday/Friday seems to be increasing in strength run by run, the GFS 6Z makes one of the closer attempts I've seen at extending and, with a few tweaks, potentially even intensifying the easterly.

This is what I'd say is the key point to keeping the easterly going:

image.thumb.png.ec53a70948e9c5f5274188f7ae9983b0.png

There's a lot going right here, with a negatively tilted trough and some signs that the monster low in the Atlantic is trying to disrupt, with that little secondary low forming to its east. With a slightly stronger Genoa low that sits in place a bit longer, and the disruption a little bit earlier/further southeast, we would see a linkup, with the secondary low sliding under, the main low staying out in the Atlantic (as seems likely now anyway) and this flow continuing (there's some pretty nice looking convective snow potential through Wednesday and into Thursday btw, just as good as anything early in the week):

image.thumb.png.d0e1bcca5d02b8ffc229f7a12dca3981.png

What we get following it isn't Atlantic driven by any means, and the cold air actually comes back in from the southeast after this too, but it really really wouldn't take much for it to turn into something epic:

image.thumb.png.1947bd4a95230d266da423e091ed0edb.pngimage.thumb.png.921095c153a954d9cc5d89206fb69d44.png

I really need to go and do some reading so that I can get a better understanding of what’s being said. Sometimes I think I’m following it all then someone puts a chart up that confuses me. I’ll get there eventually

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer
1 minute ago, Sanserit said:

I really need to go and do some reading so that I can get a better understanding of what’s being said. Sometimes I think I’m following it all then someone puts a chart up that confuses me. I’ll get there eventually

I have tried to understand better by reading the model thread but then find I am more confused than I was in the first place

• Like 6

Posted

It’s trying it’s best to snow here on the coast.  Anything falling from the sky is a mix of rain/sleet/snow.  Hopefully once the cold air arrives we will see more of the latter.  Interesting times ahead.  Going to brave the beach later to blow the cobwebs off.. 

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

I used to love his breakfast tv forecasts, he loved ramping up the snow.

I was actually on a skiing holiday in the Alps that week and what we commonly call the Genoa low must have formed in the middle of that week as we got a huge powder snowfall in temps of -10 which was still going at the weekend when we left. We arrived back to a snowy Edinburgh with a thick cover of snow but didn’t see anymore fall.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Every forecast I see seems to downgrade both low temps and snowfall for here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Firstly apologies in advance to @Blitzen.

Apology accepted (just)

What a wondrous sight to behold you have up there!   Enjoy!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye Blitzy!

A few wee Scottish withur types

A poor day with occasional spits & spots of rain = pish 

A bad day with lots of rain = pishy 

A hellish day with constant rain = pure pish 

A day of Blizzard conditions = ya fekin belter!!!

And a perfect summer's day wi Blue Skies and Temperatures in the  mid 20' = fekin Taps aff

Big Innes 

Fir fox sake, how/why do you blatantly get away with it?!!     I think I might have a word with my MP!!   Discrimination?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
5 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Snowblowers get more efficient the deeper the snow. I bought a Stiga Blizzard back in 2009 as I was fed up constantly digging out the house. It could clear up to 2 foot of snow at walking pace and throw the snow 20 feet away no problem. That winter i was suddenly very popular with the neighbours keen to borrow it.

I'm sure you were, as they all fired their snow into the next door neighbours' gardens.

(Can't believe @Ravelin got away with associating @Blitzen with blow back. I mean that's a bit below the belt.)

• Like 6