Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The Met Office pride themselves with being consistently ranked within the top two operational weather services in the world. How the mighty have fallen.....

Perhaps a cunning insider plan to prevent them being privatised to help pay for the pandemic  

Light granular ice falling just now, temperature hovering around 0.9c.  Not sticking on hard surfaces but starting to accumulate on the grass.

• Like 8

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The Met Office pride themselves with being consistently ranked within the top two operational weather services in the world. How the mighty have fallen.....

Personally I think the Norwegian service is the best for our climate. Their app is consistently on the money to the hour as well.

• Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

At least you have sleet lol

There has been over 70mm of sleet here over the last few days, you are welcome to my future allocation 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, jon_d1983 said:

Personally I think the Norwegian service is the best for our climate. Their app is consistently on the money to the hour as well.

They have their moments but I have to say the UKV, which is a pretty incredible model as far as resolution goes, has had a couple of bad misses this winter. I think if there's broad alignment on the details then it's very good, but of course when you get such volatility with details resolution doesn't make up for having the low in completely the wrong place, for example.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.bbaa1023b0a1d51f5e59ec16668a1854.jpg

Erm, naw. Nuffin like that.

Actually, with further thought, @Blitzen could go the Disney route and put a big mechanical feature, like, say, a snow blower, in the middle of the lake and blast water at anyone trying to cross the bridge. I'd pay to see that.

• Like 8

Posted
17 minutes ago, Quinach said:

The ice/snow sculpture in Insch is a interesting one, not that I would dare show it here!

Rain has now turned to snow here but not lying and temperature remains stubbornly in range 1.7 to 1.9c.

I did spot that one, someone's got a sense of humour in the snow art dept

• Like 5

Posted

I’m confused I’ve just been onto the mad, I mean model thread and came right back out it again apparently there has been a massive downgrade,,,,surely Mon/Tue is still looking good for us up here I’ve not had a chance to look at charts on there as it’s too concentrated on the south east of England ?‍♂️ 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
13 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Erm, naw. Nuffin like that.

Actually, with further thought, @Blitzen could go the Disney route and put a big mechanical feature, like, say, a snow blower, in the middle of the lake and blast water at anyone trying to cross the bridge. I'd pay to see that.

Would you really?  That there was a double hit my friend!!   See they sherps that you returned to the hospital the day?   Well, I hope that wan accidentaly fell oot and you find it when you sit doon on yer most comfortable chair!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

I’m confused I’ve just been onto the mad, I mean model thread and came right back out it again apparently there has been a massive downgrade,,,,surely Mon/Tue is still looking good for us up here I’ve not had a chance to look at charts on there as it’s too concentrated on the south east of England ?‍♂️ 

I'm assuming it's relating to their snowfall on Sunday - it does look like the northern/western extent of it has been scaled back a wee bit, which is indirectly a bit worse for us as far as the strength of the flow goes if the low just ends up being much further south, but if it's just that the band doesn't reach London but instead pivots a little further east it makes really no difference to us at all.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Frkn bitter east wind making outdoor chores painful for the nth day in a row.  Light rain started and although I can't be sure cos it's blowing around so much, it appears to be going a bit sleety. Kind of looking forward to a cover of snow so I have an excuse not to stand in the yard splitting wood! 

Inconsequential streamers heading for Caithness / south Sutherland now. I wonder if they'll make landfall...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Wee County Exile said:

Good sign for more lowland Aberdeenshire as the night progresses

There's maybe hope for Bunkry yet then 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Would you really?  That there was a double hit my friend!!   See they sherps that you returned to the hospital the day?   Well, I hope that wan accidentaly fell oot and you find it when you sit doon on yer most comfortable chair!

Ah, so it was you that shopped me. It was Crosshouse Hospital that I attended and when I swung into the car park there, on my mobile and swigging ginger wine, obvs, I nearly ran into a swarm of polis and a herd of tv crews!  Inconvenient to say the least. Sounds like a tragic series of events though.

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Imdeed. -2C maxes for me all week apparently. And the Thursday evening breakdown is being pushed back and reduced in intensity with each run....

Cold miserable day here. Was 3.9C early this morning. Now 1.9C and the last bursts of ppn were wet-snow big flakes. 12-18 hours earlier than I was expecting.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Ah, so it was you that shopped me. It was Crosshouse Hospital that I attended and when I swung into the car park there, on my mobile and swigging ginger wine, obvs, I nearly ran into a swarm of polis and a herd of tv crews!  Inconvenient to say the least. Sounds like a tragic series of events though.

Probably come up on the news?

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I'm assuming it's relating to their snowfall on Sunday - it does look like the northern/western extent of it has been scaled back a wee bit, which is indirectly a bit worse for us as far as the strength of the flow goes if the low just ends up being much further south, but if it's just that the band doesn't reach London but instead pivots a little further east it makes really no difference to us at all.

Absolutely it could all change again in the morning and trend north again. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

@Dan B you don’t want to drop that on your foot! 

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 4