Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
Posted
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 120m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 120m asl
    2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

    Hey guys, winter's coming::santa-emoji:

     

    Quick, back to the wall...!

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Westhill, Aberdeenshire 150m
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer
  • Location: Westhill, Aberdeenshire 150m

    Heavy wet snow however the sort which almost does more damage to existing snow cover than good.

    • Like 8
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Kelty
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw
  • Location: Kelty

    Awesome snaw pictures everyone...amazing to see the depth's some have had.

    Here its been rain lots and lots of rain...pish'in doon would be a perfect way to describe the current conditions it feels cold but the air temp is reading a tropical +3.9deg/C the wind is making it feel cold.

    Overnight could possibly see the temperature not falling much bellow the day time max which is never a good thing to see in winter...only a few of more days of this horrid wet weather and it will hopfully change for the better i.e. colder and snawier...canny wait.

    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 6 miles SE of Perth ( 40m asl )
  • Location: 6 miles SE of Perth ( 40m asl )
    4 minutes ago, edo said:

    pitches in luncarty are turning into a lake with water like never seen before, pitch now been frozen or flooded, currently both and been unplayable since Dec 23 so 42 days. 2010/11 was unplayable for 56 days due to snow. If this coming spell prolongs could be a Luncarty record broken 🙂

      

    20210204_165736.jpg

    i expect another 30-40mm of rain/sleet and wet snow through till Saturday, however up to 50mm additionally possible.

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Straiton 145m asl
  • Location: Straiton 145m asl
    44 minutes ago, 101_North said:

    Foul out there! Went for a quick walk and the water pouring down off the hills is unreal! Breezy, lashing, awful. 3.5c. 

    It’ll all be different in a couple of days, hopefully like your BFTE video ❄️

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 140m, Oyne, Aberdeenshire
  • Location: 140m, Oyne, Aberdeenshire
    9 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

    My God! Has that built up from ground level?

    (nice soffit btw)

    Haha, not quite - probably only about 4 or 5 inches lying despite snowing continually for probably 24h. 

    (and thanks, almost worth the endless days I spent putting up and painting all that tongue and groove!) 

    • Like 9
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Straiton 145m asl
  • Location: Straiton 145m asl
    41 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

    I fully expect them to start saying stuff like Arctic temperatures and Snow set to last until Easter, around about this point?

    It’ll be a 800 mile snowbomb 😂😂

    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Isle of Skye, 14m/49ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
  • Location: Isle of Skye, 14m/49ft above sea level

    Currently jaffa cakesin' doon wi' rain, a tad on the blowy side too. Temp 2.4c. Horrible night. ☹️

    • Like 8
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 120m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 120m asl
    1 hour ago, shuggee said:

    Has the Daily Express headlined the BFTE - actually getting it right for the first time amongst three years of garbage? I bet @Jo Farrowhas been keeping score?

    So I'm guessing that BFTE stands for dog biscuits From The Express?

    (pretty sure the netweather rude word replacing algorithm is going to make a nonsense of this)

    Edited by Puffy MacCloud
    yup
    • Like 6
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bo'ness
  • Location: Bo'ness
    23 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

    My current thought's on how much snow could fall over the next few days in scotland. Don't shoot me if ya think I've gone too express lol but I really think these totals are possible. From my weather page:

     

    RED WARNING: 4/2/21 18z - 6/2/21 12z.

    (Red Area)

    Central/Eastern Scotland -

    *Imminent danger to life

    *Blocked Roads

    *Cuts to electricity/essential services

    10-20cm all levels

    20-40cm 200m+

    50-75cm 300m+

    Could be some historical amounts of snow, only travel if absolutely essential, have winter supply's stocked in car if doing so.

    (Orange area)

    Other parts of Central/Eastern scotland. Southern scotland.

    2-5cm Coastal fringes

    5-15cm All levels

    10-18cm 200m+

    15-30cm 300m+

    Stay tuned, more updates and local analysis as this major event unfolds.

    scotroadmap1 (1).jpg

    Needs the orange bit to have a clearly marked exclusion zone for snow around grangemouth as shield still working.   

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl
    8 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

    It’ll all be different in a couple of days, hopefully like your BFTE video ❄️

    After the past few days I'd take a frost and some blue sky 😜

    • Like 9
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
    11 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

    i expect another 30-40mm of rain/sleet and wet snow through till Saturday, however up to 50mm additionally possible.

    Could have done with a bit of clear weather and frost before the potential snow.

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 6 miles SE of Perth ( 40m asl )
  • Location: 6 miles SE of Perth ( 40m asl )
    Just now, edo said:

    Could have done with a bit of clear weather and frost before the potential snow.

    Sunday looks relatively dry, some snow showers it looks like. But much more severe Monday-Weds

    • Like 6
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Glasgow Southside 30m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
  • Location: Glasgow Southside 30m ASL.
    33 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

    My current thought's on how much snow could fall over the next few days in scotland. Don't shoot me if ya think I've gone too express lol but I really think these totals are possible. From my weather page:

     

    RED WARNING: 4/2/21 18z - 6/2/21 12z.

    (Red Area)

    Central/Eastern Scotland -

    *Imminent danger to life

    *Blocked Roads

    *Cuts to electricity/essential services

    10-20cm all levels

    20-40cm 200m+

    50-75cm 300m+

    Could be some historical amounts of snow, only travel if absolutely essential, have winter supply's stocked in car if doing so.

    (Orange area)

    Other parts of Central/Eastern scotland. Southern scotland.

    2-5cm Coastal fringes

    5-15cm All levels

    10-18cm 200m+

    15-30cm 300m+

    Stay tuned, more updates and local analysis as this major event unfolds.

    scotroadmap1 (1).jpg

    Interesting take. I’d suggest the orange zone should be elongated to take in the whole of the Greater Glasgow area as showers coming off the Firth of Forth tend to make it right through the Central belt. Indeed the met office yellow warning for Monday does just that.

    Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
    • Like 6
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    10 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

    So I'm guessing that BFTE stands for dog biscuits From The Express?

    (pretty sure the netweather rude word replacing algorithm is going to make a nonsense of this)

    Christ. You can still write things I wouldn't say to my mother 😵

    Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)
    6 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

    Interesting take. I’d suggest the orange zone should be elongated to take in the whole of the Greater Glasgow area as showers coming off the Firth of Forth tend to make it right through the Central belt. Indeed the met office yellow warning for Monday does just that.

    Yeah ya probably right. The map was drawn up quite quick tbh due to a moaning girlfriend. Il bare that in mind next time, nothing beats local knowledge 🙂

    • Like 9
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
    2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

    Bealach... old Norse word for any part of the anatomy that needs regular scratching.

     

    Really?...How did you know that?

    Think I'm gonna stick with Piffy's (sorry) Puffy's explanation!  ( After I Googled it!)😁

    • Like 6
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...