Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

I'm fairly sure someone's transplanted Banchory to the coast because all I'm seeing is wet sleety p*sh coming down when all around us has proper sna!

image.thumb.png.73835541b28eff0184a9999be2f3d7df.png

Currently 3.3c/1.3c and wind coming from SE.  Is it too much to ask to give us a decent dump of sna?!

image.thumb.png.bbb65309d854a7ed1d65b8b89c72e0c6.png

I can see the Ellon snaw shield in all its glory right enough.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

This winter the Met haven't covered themselves in glory. Today however, they've been bang on with their forecast/warning.

Its meant to go mad here about 3pm.

I think they only do certainties!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Blitzen said:

I have this snowblower........Interested??? I think you may have bought yourself 10years of ridicule!!

Just watched the latest MetO forecast, on YouTube, Blitzen... It must be a wee bit draughty around the bealachs up there?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

In the Beast from the east the red warning covered much of the central belt with Dumbarton on the western edge of the warning. 26cm fell here just to the north of Glasgow. If I remember correctly less snow fell in the south side of Glasgow whilst some places further west around such as Greenock and Balloch got a lot of snow - up to 2 feet in some places.

The Beast from the East exceeded my expectations - an absolutely unforgettable experience - though it was a very uneven event in terms of snow depths. I remember having concerns about the convective potential given the lower SSTs so late in the season but that didn’t turn out to be an issue. I think initially it started as an ENEly on the 27th with a stream of showers from the Tay towards Glasgow and once the first couple of inches had fallen I felt much more relaxed about the easterly delivering. A few weeks later there was another easterly which also produced 5cm. There haven’t been too many easterlies in recent years - prior to 2018, March 2013 had frequent snow showers but accumulations were no better than 2-3cm. Nov 2010 was phenomenal with 25cm and 2nd Feb 2009 also produced an inch or two. 

During easterlies most places to the east of the M74, Cumbernauld, Loch Earn and the Cairngorms tend to do well depending on where streamers set up and the track of showers. Usually some should reach Renfrewshire, the Erskine Bridge and Loch Lomond. It’s a struggle for areas further west, in particular Ayrshire and parts of the Western Highlands and Islands, though 2018 is an example of how easterlies can deliver to areas west of Glasgow. 

I’m keeping expectations low and hoping for at least a couple of inches snow here - which should be more than achievable but not inevitable looking at the charts. Once that threshold is hopefully reached then it becomes a case of how much snow will fall rather than if. Given the potential in the charts it would be great if the western central Belt can get 10-30cm to rival 2018 and other memorable snowfalls - anything more than 30cm is almost too much! Areas in the eastern half of Scotland could see widely 15-40cm with the worst hit areas seeing more than half a metre which would rank among the best events in the past few decades.

It will also be nice to have a few ice days which is rarer in February compared to earlier in the winter. Despite a very cold January Glasgow is yet to a record a maximum of 0C or lower. Looking at the models from this morning it appears the cold might be extended by a day or two with much of Scotland under uppers below -10C which is remarkable. Hopefully the blocking is more robust than the models are showing and we end up extending the cold further into February. If not then perhaps we could see a snowy breakdown on top of the snow from the easterly. An interesting 10 days are ahead of us and it will be fascinating to see how this event compares to 2018 and other events .

E7D7703D-B358-4F08-872E-BE9250E437C5.jpeg

2010 was colder and had more snow than the beast from the east for East Kilbride. And was much shorter lived.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

3C

Apart from some still frozen ground in the garden, all the snow has gone.

I'm not going to get excited about the warnings for my area until we get closer, because I won't be terribly surprised if I wake up to torrential rain and 16C temperatures tomorrow the way things are going....

Anyway here is yesterdays timelapse.....

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
31 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Quieter today with less showers so far and some dripping at 1.2c. Wee top up overnight. Overall cover (including the original stuff that fell in Victorian times) around 38cms, with some towering drift-work around 

A5C08A59-F1ED-4324-AE02-BF01C9FAE57C.thumb.jpeg.17a1467f0c037a9b650cddf001697057.jpeg

6248123F-835F-4A92-AE8E-C4EAAD0D3E35.thumb.jpeg.b6e3f2b594ef291c43d43d78749ea390.jpeg

F2BFFE1E-5E20-4570-A363-A5B4726801A9.thumb.jpeg.5f6b793adee4ececaad384167e2758d2.jpeg

It’s nice to some areas getting walloped. Hopefully anyone getting rain/snizzle/pishle will see it turn to snow as we move on

The 1978 blizzard was just before my time but the local accounts when you speak to people are incredible. They had 5 feet level snow fall up the Glen from here 

My brother decided to go skiing that weekend travelling up from Aberfeldy and staying at Glenmore. He didn't get home until the Wednesday evening.

• Like 7

Posted
49 minutes ago, edo said:

@Mr Frostthat third picture is incredible, i was in Dunoon last year and was in Gourock....hard to imagine it like that 

@Kirkcaldy Weatherpromises Thundersnow we will take that.....good stuff mate

is there any danger at all i will wake up to any snow tomorrow, im thinking not but from a work perspective i need to make an accurate call  

Snow looks quite unlikely to settle in perth, the risk really looks like towards Crieff, Pitlochry and Dunblane Northwards generally.

• Like 6