Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
5 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

I stand corrected. I am completely wrong. GFS (purple line) has outperformed every model over the past few days. I don't ever remember seeing that before. 

1392815366_ScreenShot2021-02-02at5_01_36PM.thumb.png.2c6e741f88506f1fbf9dc5d21e49b43f.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 5.01.36 PM.png

Isn't that new GFS (GFS//) in Purple? 

Over the course of above graph looks to be ECM still comes out on top but as you say GFS looks best over last few days but of course different pattern involved now with how this low is handled next 72/96 hrs. 

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

I stand corrected. I am completely wrong. GFS (purple line) has outperformed every model over the past few days. I don't ever remember seeing that before. 

1392815366_ScreenShot2021-02-02at5_01_36PM.thumb.png.2c6e741f88506f1fbf9dc5d21e49b43f.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 5.01.36 PM.png

That's the new GFS p at the top if I am reading that correctly, we wait to see its 12z but it was better than the op on the 06z though the 12z op isn't complete awful just more on the risky side but as @LomondSnowstorm pointed out the GEM and UKMO get the cleaner easterly in 

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The UKMO is still solid

image.thumb.png.dbb5468a7cf5e224e419003db594667e.pngimage.thumb.png.47f9dc4a57734ed9105ea7deedeb2a0e.png

GFS is a bit frustrating and nail biting but just about alright for here from Sunday on:

image.thumb.png.7b22a9ceb483f06398874016085bab1f.png

image.thumb.png.9789de9e4c52f0cb4668840de7f027a9.png

I am a bit concerned certainly because we aren't too many changes away from a significantly worse outcome but we should hopefully get a resolution on the pesky low by this time tomorrow.

What I would say is I think a 'clean' transition to an easterly is less likely, not that most of us could really describe the current conditions as clear cut, but I'd think the low will at least hang around enough on Thursday and early Friday to cause continued marginality but also potentially significant snowfall, most likely but not exclusively for Aberdeenshire.

The GEM (which I unfairly overlook sometimes relative to its performance) looks solid too

image.png

It’s definitely backtracking though as it was originally Thursday night the real cold was kicking in and it’s now looking like Sunday,,,,I did say a few days ago with the frigid cold in the USA that could have a knock on affect for us after the east coast winter storm is sending all the lows streaming over the Atlantic. The cold uppers seem to be becoming less cold with each run too

Edited by Penicuikblizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Bitterly cold east-north east wind here fresh light covering on top of existing several inches this morning, light hail/ snow grains in the wind real continental type snow. Currrently 1.2c with windchill of minus 4 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

That's the new GFS p at the top if I am reading that correctly, we wait to see its 12z but it was better than the op on the 06z though the 12z op isn't complete awful just more on the risky side but as @LomondSnowstorm pointed out the GEM and UKMO get the cleaner easterly in 

Correct. New GFS at the top and this if for a 5 day forecast lead. So it was leading as of a few days ago. Let's see what it looks like after the lemon storm pattern of this week!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Klippie said:

I hate when I'am right about the weather...all we've had today is horrible manky grey sleety pish, try as it might it couldn't bring itself to snaw, what makes it worse is its bloody freezing out there and hardly a white flake to be seen...I did get excited for a minute but it was a short lived burst of wet snow which instantly turned back to rain.

Then I found the cause...Mossmorran and that bloody flame warming the air up and melting aw the snaw..!!!

Capture.thumb.JPG.5aaceeca2d17eb855c1e2a11dd9284de.JPG

If that is current, then it looks like they are having a problem? (again)   Read somewhere lately that a black cloud usually means they have suffered 'an event'  The disclosure of which usually appears in a discreet column in the press  about a fortnight afterwards!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Still rain here last time I checked, hope the models don’t backtrack too much  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Continuous rain/sleet/wet snow here. Every time I check my weather app on my phone the snow has been pushed back by an hour.

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Minimum sna here... bit of hail now rain (Temp +3/Dew +1). No snow or minimal at best... again! What an underwhelming winter. 

It's snowing just west of the city centre now - not really lying but leaving it slushy in places. I thought we'd get nothing but rain until the weekend

• Like 7

Posted

Dreich afternoon with a max of 3.1c; now 1.7c with showers of rain.  Stiff easterly breeze, that at least getting rid of the rotting calabrese smell coming from the rapeseed fields!

The various weather apps still undecided what is going to happen here over the next few days, though seem trending back to a sleety mess.  No doubt all changed again in a few hours.

• Like 9

Posted

Temp down to -0.2c in this heavier pulse. But.....still not convinced my garden sensor is functioning optimally! Been a few readings last few days that don't feel quite right. 

• Like 9