Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Fine day here too.Young Mr Northernlights preparing ground for sowing next month by taking stones off and cultivating tracks. Delivered some hay to a customer at about 600 feet at lunch time and saw numerous patches of snow at that level in the woods in spite of a temperature of 9c.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny all day here with a refreshing breeze. Currently 8.5C from a max of 9.8C so not quite a double figure day. Once we get tomorrow out of the way looking pretty settled for the rest of the week here in the East. Not so much for the Westies perhaps. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A beautiful day here today.. a good walk out and about in Ellon. Tomorrow we are going to look at the new house for the first time as have only seen it via video so far.. looks like a really rubbish day to be doing so but needs must and all.

Bill gates is having one of his tracking devices fitted into my arm this coming Sunday. So that will then be that and of course it looks now like finally the lighr at the end of the tunnel has had a new bulb fitted. Everything crossed we can get to the end of this.

Those in the danger zone for warnings take care stay safe. 

• Like 4

Posted

I'm a little concerned about the flooding potential around here - the burn on the South Inch was level with the top yesterday and appeared to be stagnant, so something must be blocking it.  I hope the Council have sorted it out today, as otherwise we'll get what we had in August when the water flooded the Edinburgh Road, Marshall Place and several side streets, as well as the whole South Inch pretty much.

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 7

Posted
20 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

I'm a little concerned about the flooding potential around here - the burn on the South Inch was level with the top yesterday and appeared to be stagnant, so something must be blocking it.  I hope the Council have sorted it out today, as otherwise we'll get what we had in August when the water flooded the Edinburgh Road, Marshall Place and several side streets, as well as the whole South Inch pretty much.

Fields around the River earn to the west of Bridge of Earn were well Flooded Sunday afternoon. Could be a interesting couple days. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, TinyTim said:

There is a lot of water in the upper Tay catchment area just now and with heavy rain forecast and mild with a bit of snow still to melt flood defences further downriver may get tested byWednesday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 hours ago, TinyTim said:

Yeah a good point knew a friends son flooded out there house in the August storm and only just back in  

• Like 3

Posted

That's the heavy rain on. Amused to see Biggar get a namecheck on the BBC Breakfast Carol weather. 5.9C.

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, bomdabass said:

Any suggestions for sites to track rainfall totals since SEPA is still down?

WWW.WUNDERGROUND.COM

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide.

you could use sites like Weather Underground or you can use Radar Estimates on Netweather radar. The Weather Underground site is a large colony of Person weather stations therefore the accuracy is highly variable. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

My station shows a 42mph gust in the last hour here in Morningside. But I'd venture to say some of those gusts were 50+. My station isn't ideally located for wind detection. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
1 hour ago, metallikat34 said:

My station shows a 42mph gust in the last hour here in Morningside. But I'd venture to say some of those gusts were 50+. My station isn't ideally located for wind detection. 

Mine is the opposite, too high up and miles away from the town. It had max gusts at 54mph but I doubt they reached 50 in Motherwell. We must have one of the worst areas for weather station coverage, i'm not sure why they use drumalbin when it's not even the nearest station.

• Like 4

Posted

So far we've escaped the worst of the rain and even had a bit of sun peek through earlier! That wind though

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
21 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Some really high sustained gusts of wind this afternoon. Even the old beech hedge is being bent over by the wind.

Cows came in from neeps in single file no jostling just wanted out of the wind into shelter. Not too cold at 11c.

I like the idea of altruistic cows, but it kind of begs the question they should be asking each other... what's this all for?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Day 10. Intermittent heavy rain and blustery wind.  Got another delivery of painkiller this morning. I get to go out tomorrow - to see a doctor. Upside is I might get to hobble to a nice café afterwards. Oh hang on...

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

The trees at the back are heaving about like a gang of fat lassies at a disco but there's been a lot less rain than anticipated.

Temperature 11.1deg.C down from a maximum of 11.6deg.Cat 14:41 and up from a minimum of 6.2deg.C at 06:59, humidity is 87%, wind 5 to 10mph south-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 29mph at 12:28, (it'll be higher but my back garden is well sheltered from the wind,) pressure is 1004.2hPa rising slowly, there's been 5.8mm of rain recorded today and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Sadly as discussed above SEPA’s site is down. 
Rainfall in the last 7 days has been extreme down here, river will be coming over for the second time in 4 days. 
Today’s summary - Very wet and very windy, 10c

• Like 5

Posted

Quite gusty here just now with spits and spots in the wind. Bridge closed to high siders but otherwise ok so nothing over 60 mph here yet. Was quite wet overnight but since morning just showers rather than steady rain. 10.2C currently from a max of 10.8C and a min of 4.5C this morning. I expect some flooding reports up in Perthshire by morning. Here are the upper falls of Moness this afternoon on facebook. This was all frozen a week ago.

• Like 8

Posted

Grey and gloomy with gusty winds.

Not a day to remember, though not really worthy of the yellow wind warning that was issued.

Thankfully not much in the way of rain.  Max of 9.2c.

Edit - wait, just read, liberation day is official!  From 15th March (or 5th April...) kids can test others on the intricacies of Algebra and the socio-economic consequences of devolution    Now that has made the day memorable.

Edited by Quinach
Lockdown release
  • Like 7

Posted

After feeling thoroughly spring like yesterday, a pretty foul day today. Less rain than expected but the wind was pretty gusty, particularly early afternoon. A few trees down locally and roof slates flying about. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yesterday was miserable. Today seems a bit more useable. Have to be honest and say, in a departure from previous trends, I’m really enjoying the milder conditions where it’s dry. An early spring would be nice.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Would one be right in thinking that the chance of imminent heavy snowfall is currently somewhat remote? Thought so. This place is about as busy as the EU stand at a Little Englander Convention. Still, nicer day today than yesterday; the ground is even drying up now.

Temperature 9.4deg.C down from a maximum of 10.3deg.C at 00:12 and up from a minimum of 9.2deg.C at 04:14, humidity is 84%, wind is 3 to 5mph southerly, pressure is 1011.7hPa steady, there's been no rain today and cloud cover is 8/8 but thin enough to allow some brightness.

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all,

Aside from the glorious week of wintry conditions, February has been dire in terms of weather here with rainfall sitting at around 220% of normal and sunshine just 47% of normal. The monthly  mean temperature now sitting at -0.4c. (All figures Leuchars). Still I would take the three weeks of crap for one memorable snowy spell all over again! 

Certainly looks drier as we head into March. I’ll soon be on haar watch 

• Like 7