Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Oh what a rubbish morning... wind rain and murk... 2 out of 3 kids down with colds.. gonna be a long weekend.

• Like 5

Posted

Crap day here too and all bar a stubborn wee patch of snow now gone. Sadly tho, the ground is absolutely sodden underfoot and was squelching when I was out clearing up after the dogs and refilling feeders yesterday. I think a lot of work is going to be needed once it’s dried out again. I’ll live in hope of a few more frosty nights to help me out.

5.8c, up from 3.1c overnight, wind speed around 6km from the NW.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Currently 2.8C, which is actually lower  than it was most of the time overnight, a bit of a breeze, grey but largely dry.  The surrounding hills have their Zebra outfit on i.e. green/brown with irregular white stripes where the snow had drifted and hasn't quite thawed yet.

Not sure I can be bothered with another cold snap chase, but no doubt if it's looking like one I'll jump back in to snow mode. Failing that I'd rather see bright high single/low double digits than this cold murk, as at least I'll be more inclined to get outside.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

the ground is absolutely sodden underfoot and was squelching

As our garden slopes, it partially drains across the concrete drive onto the gravel parking area. The last 2 days there's been a big puddle at the top of the gravel area, which we've never seen before. There's either too much run-off for it to drain through fast enough, or it's still frozen below the surface. The grass itself didn't seem to squelchy when I was out on it yesterday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Aye, Hullaw frae Squelchville. Rained constantly all week, driven sideyways by the howling winds. We have an occasional break in the breeziness which is when I head out to fill the coal bucket. Not much chance of a walk of any duration this week. Maybe a wee teeny break tomorrow morning. If there is I'm outta here! Need to move and stretch the legs and move the hips and knees which are threatening to seize up. If all else fails it'll be a dance around the sitting room. Which always amuses ( or bores ) the cats. Currently 10c and p1sh. Happy days ahead at some point with dry weather I hope.  Just can't see any break in this rubbish that we're getting just now. Which is pants. Hope it's better where you are. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I like wet. All types of wet, from moist to dripping. It comes from a long held appreciation of outdoor clothing, especially wet-weather gear. There's nothing (well, not much) better than being out in foul weather and being perfectly comfortable. Today is a full Gore-Tex day.

Temperature currently 7.4deg.C up from a minimum of 3.2deg.C at 01:09, humidity is 91%, wind is 1 to 4mph southerly with a max gust of 16mph at 07:01, pressure is 992.3hPa steady, it's currently raining, has been all morning, with 6.8mm having fallen since midnight and 11.8mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
2 hours ago, Quinach said:

image.thumb.png.779938d0892002cff32b6175e9343562.png

Ah memories of the Lada Niva (4x4) I had to use for work decades ago (those are Riva's in the photo). 

Convinced it was WWII surplus but got to say it never broke down and was good off road, though back felt it was broken after driving it after a while.

I had a 'meeting dinner' with my first girlfriend's parents and her father told me that he was going to get a car for his daughter, so I asked what kind of car and he said he was thinking about a Lada Riva. I said he could probably expect to get two Lada Rivas for her and (d'you know what?) neither of them laughed. Now that I think of it, he was the one who complained about me buttering both halves of my roll before loading it up with bacon. Cheapskate.

Earlier talk of waterproof clothing compelled me to go out earlier for a walk in what has been constant rain. I have discovered a chink in my armour. (Shame on all those who immediately thought of something oriental.) My wooly gloves are not up to snuff and I can't find my Gore-Tex over-mitts. On-line retail therapy calls...

• Like 7

Posted

Evening all,

A pretty unremarkable week weather wise after last weeks fun and games. Rainfall now sitting at almost twice the monthly average although most of that fell in the horrific week of easterlies at the start of the month. Mean temperature still -1.7c below average but I expect it will end up closer to average by months end.

Currently 8.6c with some light rain.

• Like 9

Posted
On 17/02/2021 at 08:17, thebigyin said:

Was up for a peddle with the kids at the park yesterday afternoon and noted that while still plenty of drift and patches (and ice on paths - not fun!), the burns were really full and water now runnign off everywhere.  Streams where there are not normally streams, etc.  Looking at the snow gate cameras (love that site!) they all look damp but still holdign lots of snow - hopefully the the slower slaw continues, rather than the faster kind here.

Found a dead bird under the last pile of snow in the back garden, which has now melted (snow, not the bird, though it is decaying - yuch!).  I must have not noticed and happened to have given it a ceremonial temporary burying last week.  It looks like a very small hawk.  Would post a photo, but something has eaten it's head clean off - will take a photo and clip it perhaps.  Do these hawks attack each other?  It looked like a smaller version of the attached (old photo of "something" eating a pigeon it caught in our old house back patio).

Oh yeah, weather, windy and wild - I'm weird and quite like this sort of weather.  Just as well for me, as looks like for here at least we have a good while of rinse and repeat going on.

Picture 326.jpg

It was just a Thrush after all!

Anyway, been a few nice days, a few damp days here.  Nice just now, damp later, so getting out with the dugs now.  Outlook looks like pressure rising and very little rain in the ensembles.  Will take that - get out in the garden.  a few more members dipping below -10 in the outer reaches.  Still hopeful of some further wintry excitement in to March.

• Like 6

Posted

6.7C, grey, calm, most of the snow now gone from the garden but not quite all, with the surrounding hills just retaining patches now, even higher up.

I'll take back what I said about the squelch quotient of my grass the other day, it must still have been at least partially frozen then. Certain bit of it are now running with water, and I hope the poor mice and voles have back-up homes as their burrows are acting as drainage pipes in places.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 hours ago, mardatha said:

It isn't bad here for weather. We watch the forecast for the old house and they've had tons of snow and rain and higher winds. This might be a wee pocket of Provence, you never know   Even yesterday, forecast here was constant rain - we had a lot of dry spells and even sun, and just one heavy shower. Rest of the time it was just slight rain in the wind stuff. But the river is still high and the back garden is still a mud&moss farm. Dying to get oot into that garden and sort it. Not been touched for a year according to the neighbours as the last tenant was ill for a while then died last March. Here is my challenge - feel sorry for me Kilties

BACK OLD2.jpg

BACK OLD.jpg

I hope your garden challenge is manageable! Are those bushes interesting or useful? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

HC they were blackberries. Moving them over to the corner, one gone and one to go. I could open a Moss Farm - would anybody buy it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
14 minutes ago, mardatha said:

HC they were blackberries. Moving them over to the corner, one gone and one to go. I could open a Moss Farm - would anybody buy it?

A garden centre? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly cloudy here with patchy rain at times. Temperatures rose after lunch and gave me my first double figure temperature since the 18th December. Currently 10.8C. Unsurprisingly the last piles of snow in the street melted today.

• Like 8

Posted

Horrendous  southerly wind just now after a fine sunny morning and duller afternoon. Some rain made it over the mountains  this evening but not a lot. Maximum  temperature  of 10c in the afternoon

• Like 6