Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
1 minute ago, Bumsliding said:

I'm down to my last 6 inches, might see out tomorrow but I'd be surprised if there was much left by Wednesday ☹️

Having spent 30 years living in Westhill I have always wondered why it does so much better than surrounding areas and those considerably further inland. A combination of a reasonable amount of land at a reasonable altitude and close enough to the coast for the elevation to pep up precipitation?! 

I once drove through Westhill in 2010 there was a good 8inches at the main road in the town then took a nosy up the road to the golf club it was easily double the depth no more than a half mile apart the altitude change would be 100m maybe or less 

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

The snow has had a fright here it’s all gone apart from the two piles where I have cleared the driveway,,

Obliterated! Can't remember snow as deep being taken so quickly! 

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, drm said:

Much better than the Ellon area for snow probably 2 or 3 c colder in cold spells especially with winds off the North sea,frosts for sure too.

54 minutes ago, Bumsliding said:

I'm down to my last 6 inches, might see out tomorrow but I'd be surprised if there was much left by Wednesday ☹️

Having spent 30 years living in Westhill I have always wondered why it does so much better than surrounding areas and those considerably further inland. A combination of a reasonable amount of land at a reasonable altitude and close enough to the coast for the elevation to pep up precipitation?! 

Living near Sauchen, the village itself and immediate area actually have a bit of a micro-climate as it sits in a sheltered "hollow" surrounded on all sides by higher ground (I'm told it used to be a glacial lake at the end of the last ice age).  In the 12 years in the area, only had two periods of snow that were very disruptive - 2010 and last week.  For sure you'll get more snow here than Ellon or Aberdeen but definitely not as much as you would expect for being 16 miles or so inland - Westhill usually has more and it's quite a bit further east (and ever so slightly higher).   

It's always fascinating how drastically different the weather can be in a short distance - about 3 miles from Sauchen is Tillyfourie which is 80m higher up.  That is where you will get snow before anywhere else round here, helped by being very sheltered - some of the houses there on the south side of the A944 must be horrendous to heat as there never seems to be any sunshine in the winter (Corrennie hills blocking the sun out).

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Max of 6.5C here with the slow thaw continuing. Where undisturbed ground still completely covered but thinning steadily.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
41 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Morning all.

Well, finally back to green and a bit of sun.    Hopefully reducing any further chances of breaks, strains and dislocations!

7.8c/5.9c/SW/4.9mph/996.4mb.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

... and 40-odd minutes between posts.

• Like 5

Posted

Other than where the snaw drifted it's all gone now. Ready for spring got to admit

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Looks lovely out. Only my third day of incarceration and I'm already going mad.

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Join the club! I'm on my 7th!

Looks as if we have been abandoned in our hour of need HC>   Most of  (not all)  of our supposed close knit Scottish threaders have p****d off and left us to rot here on our own!   Where are they all?   We're supposed to be on lockdown FFoxS!...Maladjusted, tantrum throwing, man child(s)...The lot of 'em!   I hate Netweather!!

index.jpg

Need one suggest the obvious...?

Temp got up to a max of 9.7deg.C at 15:28. Edging towards double figures.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Need one suggest the obvious...?

Temp got up to a max of 9.7deg.C at 15:28. Edging towards double figures.

Go on then... 

• Like 1

Posted

It's all to do with timing of the 'going' element. As in current or historical. One might consider that historical is the more likely. Based on evidence seen here, well, historically. Or, more bluntly, the pair of you are as mad as a box of badgers.

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Wind has died and is now quite pleasant out side @7c

Going to relive my Saffer youth tonight in celebration of making it to 50 just Kilpdrift paint striper (Brandy) and Biltong

IMG_20210216_175053.thumb.jpg.37ab077b39c37c1ae29bc32377aade58.jpg

Happy birthday!!

• Like 5