Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Light Permagloom today but feels so mild, currently 6.5c with light winds (good to have those back!).

Had to head into Westhill this morning and surprised at how much more snow was there, goes to show how localised the snow showers were last week.  Roads clear but some major potholes appearing.  Thaw has been swift but thankfully no flooding, about 2cm left on the grass.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
22 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Sister  reports 'warmth' just now; mother (sensibly) still puts on winter coat, hat, scarf and gloves. 

Yep at the moment it's warmer but still feels chilly to me lol, 7c and feels freezing.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

Well ladies and gentlemen the Mair Snaw family have found a new home to move to... its not everything i wanted but it is better than what we have... our new destination is Sauchen Aberdeenshire 100m asl.

Will update with details as things go along but hopefully we will be moved and settled before the end of March...

Much better than the Ellon area for snow probably 2 or 3 c colder in cold spells especially with winds off the North sea,frosts for sure too.

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, metallikat34 said:

Question for the group. Is anyone else surprised how little flooding there was considering the rapid melt? I checked Braid Burn and the Water of Leith today and both were certainly high, but not nearly as high as I was expecting. What gives? Perhaps the snow had a low water content? There was a considerable "fluff" factor. But I am a bit shocked that there hasn't been more widespread flooding issues. 

@LomondSnowstorm  @101_North 

Noticed that myself. Even on a walk today there wasn't anything like the level of water running off the hills as I was expecting. No idea why that would be. I'd hazard a guess at the strong wind playing a part but there's no science

• Like 8

Posted
12 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Noticed that myself. Even on a walk today there wasn't anything like the level of water running off the hills as I was expecting. No idea why that would be. I'd hazard a guess at the strong wind playing a part but there's no science

I wonder if the wind is a factor in that it scours and deposits in to deeper patches. On walk today the weight of snow is considerable to a few days ago for these deeper areas. Presumably they are retaining much of the rain that's fallen still and as per drm says give it a few days, though working week nights are not too mild this week inland and not too wet either so slow slow?

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

Light Permagloom today but feels so mild, currently 6.5c with light winds (good to have those back!).

Had to head into Westhill this morning and surprised at how much more snow was there, goes to show how localised the snow showers were last week.  Roads clear but some major potholes appearing.  Thaw has been swift but thankfully no flooding, about 2cm left on the grass.

I'm down to my last 6 inches, might see out tomorrow but I'd be surprised if there was much left by Wednesday ☹️

Having spent 30 years living in Westhill I have always wondered why it does so much better than surrounding areas and those considerably further inland. A combination of a reasonable amount of land at a reasonable altitude and close enough to the coast for the elevation to pep up precipitation?! 

• Like 6