Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Was there any context given for this photo?

Not really. Just someone stirring a bit following the article about the car driving with snow all over and having seen a police car drive up and park elsewhere in Dundee. There were several pictures of the same police vehicle on facebook. The driver may be getting a bit if stick now from colleagues, if not his boss.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Big flakes now temp dipping below freezing again -0.3c 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Not really. Just someone stirring a bit following the article and having seen a police car drive up and park elsewhere in Dundee. There were several pictures of the same police vehicle on facebook.

Ah ok. It just struck me that the photo might have been lifted from somewhere else (France maybe?) just to - as you put it - stir it up a bit. If it really is local, then it's not clever and very poor practice, especially by the police.

• Like 1

Posted

Temp holding steady at -3.2c here. Certainly being influenced by an increased breeze as it's up over 3 degrees this evening. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

very poor practice, especially by the police.

While it is not illegal to be driving with snow on your roof, if you are caught - it's 3 points on the license and a £60 fine. It should really be illegal, because it's not exactly uncommon for the snow to slide along the roof and down the windscreen, nor is it uncommon for snow to fly off the roof of someone else's car and land on one behind it.

Meanwhile - re Datmoor:

I've just been reading that the fire in Cornwall is suspected to be Arson, and it's suspected that the Dartmoor fire is probably Arson too. I'm reading (on Twitter) that the fire crews are struggling to reach the fire because of it's location, and very icy roads. It is not clear if they have actually managed to reach it yet, but reports from people who can actually see it - are that it is still spreading, and spreading fast.

re Weather:

We are at -11.6C

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ah ok. It just struck me that the photo might have been lifted from somewhere else (France maybe?) just to - as you put it - stir it up a bit. If it really is local, then it's not clever and very poor practice, especially by the police.

I can't be sure that it is Dundee but if so very poor practice as you say. Having said that my neighbour opposite is a bobby and left for his early shift this morning in his own car which was pretty well covered. In fact the roof still had the previous days snow on it as well as the bits that fell last night. 
Meanwhile starry here and the current showers are well offshore at least for now. Looking good for Aberdeenshire in the next few hours.

And re fires several now in the Western Isles. Wonder how they started?

B14B85DC-54F2-4D2E-9AC0-E974401961F4.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, howham said:

Temp has risen to -0.3C but snowing in blustery winds.

Its -0.3 in the city so you should drop again shortly 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-15.2°C last night which is the coldest since 2010.

-12°C currently. 

• Like 7

Posted
21 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I can't be sure that it is Dundee but if so very poor practice as you say. Having said that my neighbour opposite is a bobby and left for his early shift this morning in his own car which was pretty well covered. In fact the roof still had the previous days snow on it as well as the bits that fell last night. 
Meanwhile starry here and the current showers are well offshore at least for now. Looking good for Aberdeenshire in the next few hours.

And re fires several now in the Western Isles. Wonder how they started?

B14B85DC-54F2-4D2E-9AC0-E974401961F4.jpeg

I suspect estates in the west have been taking advantage of the dry conditions to burn off heather for ‘land management’, ie. grouse-shooting purposes. The Muirburn season was suspended last year, I believe, during the lockdown, but is open at the moment, as far as I know. I believe mistyqueen, or possibly another Highlands and Islands poster mentioned it a few pages back in this thread.

Edited by Spindrift2017
  • Like 3

Posted

Snowing quite heavily and blowing around here too, a couple of inches fallen already. I hadn't really been paying much attention to the forecast so was quite surprised when I looked out! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Snowing lightly here as I let the dog out for a last 'wee' before bed. Temperature is currently -3.5C and it's been roughly half a degree either side of that since 3pm.

• Like 6

Posted

Snowing again here. Nice feathery flakes floating down. -2.4C.

• Like 5

Posted

Moderate to heavy snow wind has picked up temp -0.2c dp-1c,looks very much like it's slipping south as time goes on Dundee could get some of the heavier stuff in a couple of hours 

Edited by drm
  • Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, drm said:

Moderate to heavy snow wind has picked up temp -0.2c dp-1c,looks very much like it's slipping south as time goes on Dundee could get some of the heavier stuff in a couple of hours 

Met has us getting heavier stuff nearer morning 6AM to 9AM but looking at the flow of the showers off Northumberland it maybe sooner than that. Just light flurries so far but enough to cover cleared windscreens etc. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

-12.1 it briefly started heading back up to -11, but has started dropping fast again....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Fingers crossed that I wake up in a few hours to a surprise. Hoping this line moves further inland than forecast

DF74B9ED-FEF9-4382-8B91-32F9FD45A46A.png

• Like 6

Posted

-4.0c/-5.1c in Banchory and snow was just starting yo come on as I headed to bed an hour ago. Not tempting fate by looking out the window but hope I’m pleasantly surprised in the morning.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Quite a se streamer setting up, Montrose getting dumped on assuming it is snow there. Be parts of Aberdeenshire getting another top up to wake up to. 

Screenshot_20210212-023439_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4