Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Does anyone know what the craic about snow in the northeast is tonight?? Is there a small feature giving us a final hooraaah before the melt sets in?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
23 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Can't compare with Braemar but I think these are the first icicles I can remember on the house since 2010/11.

Walked down to the chemist in Invergowrie for a prescription for my wife and found that the pavement plough/gritter had been. So where did this woman who had just cleared her drive put her snow?

6787D04D-7187-41EC-BBC0-FF4E2109E354.jpeg

E18BACF2-91C2-45EB-961B-0C2D24E2BF62.jpeg

Still -5C here but there is a bit warmth in the sun so feels very nice out.

I was really surprised that we got down to below -11C  here this morning as between 4pm and 10pm the temperature didn't change at -0.5C. The Easterly must have stopped shortly after though as by midnight we were -4.5C. 

Still pleasantly surprised how much further it dropped by morning.

103A7299-2F2D-4149-9541-6701A808D9D1.jpeg

Shame her on facebook? Bit of a growing niche for it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
10 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Does anyone know what the craic about snow in the northeast is tonight?? Is there a small feature giving us a final hooraaah before the melt sets in?

Snow showers possible tonight and tomorrow a yellow weather warning was issued earlier ,not expecting much really but will wait and see.

Edited by drm
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Got down to -6.7 here in Morningside last night! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still -4C but has clouded over. Do not think that there is any precipitation in them but if there is marginality should not be a problem! 
Some nice ice pancakes in the river Tay at Aberfeldy this morning. Unusual in such a usually fast flowing bit.

B5CC8CC4-E16B-44A5-8081-8D12B2823F0D.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 8

Posted
35 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Too many deer anyway. The only way the estates maintain excessive populations is by winter feeding.

Roe deer in the woods are too numerous as well but they're more able to find food in these conditions.

Prior to the winter of 09/10, the estate i live on embarked on a sizeable cull. The amount of complaints from drivers who had been in accidents with deer was ridiculous. Then winter 09/10 had its say on deer population.

Numbers locally have never recovered since. 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted

Got out the street today after digging the cars out yesterday . Came back in and then got stuck some lovely neighbours pushed me back in. Showing 3oc in the car but definitely below freezing and yes it’s also the first time I’ve seen iceicles since 2010

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Any temp reading that's not from an official site needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. As you say the height is a big issue but anything that's not taken from an open space will also cause anomalous readings. A back garden will be its own wee frost hollow especially if the thermometer is set too low. 

I used to compare my readings with Mylnefield which is an official site and handy at around a mile and a half SW of me. Unfortunately a few years ago they stopped continuous daily readings and now only give weekly and monthly summaries. My screened Oregon usually had fairly similar readings to their site usually at least within 1C.

• Like 5

Posted

Ian's not a cold ramper but reading between the lines a reload of an easterly can't be ruled out.ignore the local details for his area 

Screenshot_20210211_134205_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

How the Met Office measure temperature.

Measuring temperature

Temperature is a measure of how much heat energy something has; when measuring the weather we usually want to know the temperature of the air.

To measure temperature we use a thermometer, you probably have one of these at home for taking your temperature when you are feeling poorly. We used to use thermometers that had mercury in them, but all of these are no longer used as mercury is dangerous if it were to leak out or the thermometer was to break. Instead we now use digital thermometers or alcohol thermometers.

To measure the temperature accurately we keep our thermometer a Stevenson screens. This is a white box with slats in it to allow air to flow through the box. Stevenson screens face north, which combined with their colour and slats, give us the best measure of the current temperature, without getting too hot in direct sunlight or being too cool in the shade

Stevenson screen.

Screenshot_20210211-140616_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Minimum overnight temperatures for me were -5.8C / -7.2C DP I’ve said before but it usually takes an effort to get frosts here and been at this house since 2014 only the 2018 beast and possibly one or two other nights have got down to that temperature. Think the line of showers could reach eastern Fife.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

OK let's start with Wednesday's Timelapse, which surprisingly still has quite a bit of snow in it.

Right now we move on to minimums - 

We reached -13.9C at 7:52am and our cold record is -14.5C at 8:49am on 3rd Dec 2010

It is currently -1C, and the max today was 0.2C at 12:50pm.

(The DWP have officially released a cold weather payment for the TD10 area using the Charterhall station for reference)

• Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Minimum overnight temperatures for me were -5.8C / -7.2C DP I’ve said before but it usually takes an effort to get frosts here and been at this house since 2014 only the 2018 beast and possibly one or two other nights have got down to that temperature. Think the line of showers could reach eastern Fife.

That line of showers is very slow moving at the moment for sure, shame their not over land before the wind starts picking up tonight from the s.e

Edited by drm
  • Like 8

Posted

Some showers popping up inland now and some hitting the coast around Inverbervie

Screenshot_20210211_155827_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Whos of yous on the eastern side of the country are looking forward to the Big Thaw then?

("Load the ark Morag! Beans, eggs and black pudding will do. We're going for a sail. I'll arrange the wind...")

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
Just now, Puffy MacCloud said:

Whos of yous on the eastern side of the country are looking forward to the Big Thaw then?

("Load the ark Morag! Beans, eggs and black pudding will do. We're going for a sail. I'll arrange the wind...")

I'm not. 2010 saw massive flooding when it started thawing, plus gutters and slates coming down. And something not many people even consider, but very sharp icicles suddenly unexpectedly plummeting to the ground as people are walking past.

• Like 5