Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

A quick question for maybe @Ravelin or @Sceptical or anybody else that may know the area.. what is the Altyre estate near Forres like?? Any good for cold and snaw?? 

My outlaws live in Forres, nice place but for snaw your better moving next to @Hawesy 

Forres seems to have its own climate. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Still +1c here. I do like to be different! 

Actually it’s still +2c just up the road at Leuchars. It’s the easterly wind that’s bringing in sea air. If the wind shifts temperatures will drop here too.

You don't want this.... this is what happened in 2010. And it meant that when the snow started to melt, the bottom of the snow was basically welded to roofs and gutters, and then when he thaw started, the bottom of the snow which had constantly been melting with heat loss through the roof but refreezing because of the cold snow on top of it, would then suddenly slide off the roof pulling slates and gutters down with it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Clouds lifted a the temp is now down to -6c! 

We are now fluctuating between -7.4 and -7.5C, and the radar shows a blob just about to hit us.... will it be snow? will it be freezing rain?

Will it be frogs? Nothing will surprise me at this point....

• Like 9

Posted
18 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

You don't want this.... this is what happened in 2010. And it meant that when the snow started to melt, the bottom of the snow was basically welded to roofs and gutters, and then when he thaw started, the bottom of the snow which had constantly been melting with heat loss through the roof but refreezing because of the cold snow on top of it, would then suddenly slide off the roof pulling slates and gutters down with it.

Good tip for the thread but personally I don’t have enough snow on the roof to worry about gutters being pulled off. It’s only been below freezing briefly here this week so most of the snow on the roof has already gone.

• Like 7

Posted
Posted

Drive to my work in Hawick this morning from Glasgow via Tweed Valley was astonishing. Prob 10 inches of champagne powder, sparkling sunshine and -4 at 0830.  As previous posts it could have been the Alps. One thing I've  noticed this week is Borders drivers really do have a good understanding of winter road conditions, maintaining safe distances and good steady speeds.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
37 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Good tip for the thread but personally I don’t have enough snow on the roof to worry about gutters being pulled off. It’s only been below freezing briefly here this week so most of the snow on the roof has already gone.

I have plenty of snow on my roof but I'm hoping the winds on Fri & Sat shift a lot of it before the thaw sets in next week. 

19 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Always like ice pancakes, formed near here at Monymusk...

image.thumb.png.b2c4be5b5e313e5d77ff587af0091031.png

https://www.facebook.com/100008904788829/videos/2487888611517941/

Same site, otters in the snow, never even knew they were this close to here...

image.thumb.png.22d9c326a5930819cee13680ccbbf6a5.png

https://www.facebook.com/100008904788829/videos/2487888831517919/

Now -14.1c  

A few years back whilst running through the estate on the opposite bank from Kemnay, my eldest son saw an other running along the trail in front of him. Never saw one myself but did once come across a half eaten salmon. 

Low so far of -9.0C, which easily beats the previous one for this winter of -7.0C on 9th Jan. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-12°C here

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
13 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

What site are you using? -18.8C at 21:00 is the official temperature from what I can see.

70AEF071-D1DD-4E1E-9AB4-E93D89385598.thumb.png.6e62cb5bd699d28c69b1c355eb016fb2.png

What is the lowest uk dewpoint record , done a quick search but can’t find anything for dewpoint records

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
19 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

What site are you using? -18.8C at 21:00 is the official temperature from what I can see.

Is it maybe from the network of private unofficial Highland Weather stations? There are quite a few of those in places not covered by the Met Office and some of them double up in spots covered by them like Kinbrace. 

• Like 2