Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Forgot to check the fax charts earlier  for the wee disturbance in the North sea for Thursday/Friday and this is shown, another convergence line for Friday ?

Screenshot_20210210_174817_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-7°C here already. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A cracking, baltic and bright wintry day here. Overnight low of -7.1C and a max of -0.1C, so a second ice day of the winter and 6"(15cm) of snaw on the level. 

Temperature already down to -4.5C and, as others have noted, it looks like a perfect set-up for some exceptionally low minima overnight. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A quick question for maybe @Ravelin or @Sceptical or anybody else that may know the area.. what is the Altyre estate near Forres like?? Any good for cold and snaw?? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
12 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Another drop! If legit surely -22 can't be ruled out 

They do not count as legit but he has weather stations in a number of places that could quite likely go below official recognised stations.

• Like 9

Posted

-13.2C at 6pm in Altnaharra. A very good chance of -20C tonight and an outside chance of the coldest temperature since 1995. Is Kinbrace still an official met office station? 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Well, we are currently at -4.2C and we have dropped it looks like 2.2C in the last hour.

EDIT:

And 5 minutes later we are at -4.5C, it's falling fast!

Edited by asjmcguire
temperature update
  • Like 6

Posted

More superb pictures,a question,the 62/63Winter claimed 66 days of lying snow.I noticed with interest on here folk saying they had lying snow from Xmas eve,if that's still the case,as it may be,that's over half coverage of a nigh on unique Winter.If you get a moment,just post if you are one of those lucky folk.Finish as I started,quality of pictures on here fantastic,excellent stuff.

• Like 7

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

A quick question for maybe @Ravelin or @Sceptical or anybody else that may know the area.. what is the Altyre estate near Forres like?? Any good for cold and snaw?? 

2 secs ill ask a lad that lives up Forres.

The lad reckons not really.

The Cabrach, Glenlivet or Glen Kindie definitely get the goods. Pretty much anywhere inside the Cairngorm national park would fit the bill.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
12 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

At an informed guess I'd say it is too close to Forres, and therefore a bit too coastal and a bit too low in altitude, to be as reliably snowy as you'd want. The further south you go from there towards Grantown or Carrbridge the better it would be. Somewhere like Ferness or Logie/Carnach always seemed more snowy when I used to travel back and forward that way (that was quite a few years ago now though).

A mere -6.3C here at the moment, although that's considerably warmer than down in the valley by the looks of it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Thinking of moving ?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

At an informed guess I'd say it is too close to Forres, and therefore a bit too coastal and a bit too low in altitude, to be as reliably snowy as you'd want. The further south you go from there towards Grantown or Carrbridge the better it would be. Somewhere like Ferness or Logie/Carnach always seemed more snowy when I used to travel back and forward that way (that was quite a few years ago now though).

A mere -6.3C here at the moment, although that's considerably warmer than down in the valley by the looks of it.

Agreed,my ideal location if in the north east would be half way between Keith and Fochabers about 5 miles west of the A96 streamer alley in my eyes 

• Like 3