Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
2 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Plenty coming in still. They literally gather pace as they enter the Forth estuary. Conditions ripe all night I reckon. 

Did u just get pummelled by that huge blob just missed the main one but the other one south has now joined up 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
1 minute ago, aggy said:

Did u just get pummelled by that huge blob just missed the main one but the other one south has now joined up 

Was impressive. Relentless for at least 30 mins. At least a good few cms out of that. Haven't measured any snow today but I'd guess over 25cm. Will check in morning.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
42 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Edo I just want to thank you... I was very sceptical about this one, due to the very many disappointments we've had over the past few years.  This doesn't quite make up for all of those, but it's pretty much the best snowfall here since 2010 and I am kinda hoping we get a bit more overnight too

I hope everyone is enjoying the snow if you have it and if you don't, I know exactly what that's like too! 

No worries mate, perfectly understandable after being burned so many times. The charts were there though and we showed up so often as in the line of the streamers u have to trust the chart sometimes. Still can be hit and miss if a day event as evening 1 of snow I had 8cm and there was 3cm with Max in Abernethy.  But knowing multiple days of chances was pretty sure we would do well. 

Trust the charts know the history of the area and listen to LS and KW and can't go far wrong and great to have max onboard now with knowledge

Edited by edo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Was impressive. Relentless for at least 30 mins. At least a good few cms out of that. Haven't measured any snow today but I'd guess over 25cm. Will check in morning.  

We went right through the midddle so close 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
2 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Notice how this particular blob doubled in size within 10 minutes. Definitely being enhanced in the Firth. 

blob.jpg

Classic example of perpetual blob precipitation enhancement. 

• Like 4

Posted
46 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Well, just had to go out and have another look  Measuring 22cm now and still chucking it down... it would be really nice to reach 30 as I believe that's approx. what 2010 topped out as, so beating that would be legendary! 

20210209_210611.thumb.jpg.a1f74bbae78ea8bab8e51e3f99de24db.jpg20210209_210606.thumb.jpg.ca2de59b5b04960fc6b05af0f989bb98.jpg

managed to reach 30cm! after a few flurries tonight i could get over that. 2010 levels here, this is some crazy stuff. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Mr Snowidea taking to the garden in his PJs to save the conservatory roof. 

Posted

A heavy shower has just cleared. The depth is currently 10.5-11cm. I don’t expect much more but I’m hoping to reach 5 or 6 inches but 10cm+ is still a pretty good outcome.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Another heavy shower on here and still the radar looks alive and bringing more... and im not even in a sweet spot.. amazing few days. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
21 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Notice how this particular blob doubled in size within 10 minutes. Definitely being enhanced in the Firth. 

blob.jpg

Perfect example of Firth of Forth driving force. 

blob2.jpg

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

Classic example of perpetual blob precipitation enhancement. 

Mr_Blobby,_2009.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Here we go. Another round just started and it's bang on track to last long time. 

Hoping this is a direct hit and the shower heads west so we go all the way through it haven’t had a direct hit today always missed the main band 

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a look at the GFS 18z and it shows a pretty impressive battleground snowfall for the weekend. It will probably change but it’d be great to have some proper frontal snowfall for once. 

• Like 6