Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

A beautiful wintry twilight with pale, cold looking skies, the temperature just below freezing, some light snow flurries and most surfaces covered with 3-4 inches of fine snow. Proper winter weather reminiscent of 2010 and much better than 1-2cm of slush. Hopefully we’ll see some very low temperatures in the next couple of nights. -10C in the central bell and -20C in the highlands would probably make this the best spell of cold and snow since 2010 and one of the best in recent decades. 

Looking at the radar it seems the showers are tracking more east to west. I’m probably hoping for more showers around South Queensferry to make their way west. 

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, metallikat34 said:

1316006160_ScreenShot2021-02-09at1_23_42PM.thumb.png.bb4ef2852ea90f4516660999af691369.png

@101_North and other Edinburgh friends......this is painful to watch. Surrounded by some beasts 

not as painful as watching from Aviemore lol you all deserve this fantastic weather just hope we get a wallop up here too 

• Like 7

Posted

Is that another convergence line setting up over Northumberland ? Fax had one there at 1800

The one in Dundee just keeps going and going, was hoping it would sink south but think it will just slowly fizzle out and the central belt has to hope the showers between the zones intensify 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

@Dundeeguy The Met Office would have a red warning out AND the transport system would be shut down if there was a dusting expected in London.

That year that it snowed in London in November, the transport systems did actually shut down, I remember watching the news astonished that the busses had stopped running - and you could still see the white lines on the road!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Dundeeguy said:

Don’t really know what to say, met office would be all over it with a red warning if this was south east England, 31cm outside my house and still falling , most main roads undriveable,

I think this is the point.  there was a red for the central belt in 2010, but only after we had 30cm in Edinburgh!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dundeeguy said:

Don’t really know what to say, met office would be all over it with a red warning if this was south east England, 31cm outside my house and still falling , most main roads undriveable,

Have to say don’t know how much has fallen there this afternoon but be interesting to compare with the red warning from 2018

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, asjmcguire said:

@Dundeeguy The Met Office would have a red warning out AND the transport system would be shut down if there was a dusting expected in London.

That year that it snowed in London in November, the transport systems did actually shut down, I remember watching the news astonished that the busses had stopped running - and you could still see the white lines on the road!

I flew down to London from Edinburgh for a meeting and I was the only one in the office as the buses and trams had stopped running!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Is that another convergence line setting up over Northumberland ? Fax had one there at 1800

The one in Dundee just keeps going and going, was hoping it would sink south but think it will just slowly fizzle out and the central belt has to hope the showers between the zones intensify 

36C79E57-A725-4DDF-9BD0-EE6F08BA502D.thumb.png.f54127e4fec84aee6d388ece10d8dbe2.png

Looks promising this evening that’s for 9pm

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
6 minutes ago, edo said:

By brutal you mean good right

Up to 18cm now not sure measured in the best place think it's more like 20cm across the board.... Be 23 cm in another couple of hours if this keeps going. 

Been Heavy snow since 2.45pm. 

Its was a brutal walk home from work. I’m going to wait until later to measure the snow, come on 20cm

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
32 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

interesting that the wind has eased off so the showers may become slower moving too

I would agree, the ‘blob’ up around Dundee/Angus has been very slow moving over the last hour and other showers coming on shore seem to catch up and ‘extend’ the original blob. Certainly has made for a bit of a snaw fest this afternoon, although it’s getting a bit difficult for anyone who needs to travel (essential workers) around the Dundee/Angus area. Be safe folks.

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

For comparison purposes, we have more snow lying today than we did from BFTE in 2018 but not as much as we had in December 2010 when Aberdeenshire had snow lying on the ground from end of November right through until April as we ended up with a snow day in Easter holidays while working at Westhill Academy.

BCAAAB91-57EA-4637-8EEE-C7219CD04E8B.thumb.png.3066f73925bc8182aefe0c20b0a120db.png

Is agree with that. 2010 up here was off the chart. Currently there's just shy of 40cm in the paddock. 2010 there was a straight 100cm with parts of the fence buried under five foot drifts.

This spell has lasted a week, 2010 started November and the farmers were still using ploughs into the first week of May.

Definitely a memorable winter!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
Just now, pdiddy said:

I flew down to London from Edinburgh for a meeting and I was the only one in the office as the buses and trams had stopped running!

It really was astonishing. People having to walk home for 3 or 4 hours. And yet you could still see the road!

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, drm said:

I see similar 6 ish onwards for a bit maybe a couple of hours if we are lucky 

We'll metO have removed the 2 hour heavy snow symbols from the auto forecast so I take that as the thumbs up (to be fair there afternoon symbols were reasonably bang on for here I thought/think).

But yeah looks okay hopefully

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

36C79E57-A725-4DDF-9BD0-EE6F08BA502D.thumb.png.f54127e4fec84aee6d388ece10d8dbe2.png

Looks promising this evening that’s for 9pm

Let’s hope so, the sea breezes in the zones ‘flatten’ the showers rather than the little vertical blobs we’ve getting sporadically all day - like Dundee and Aberdeen you end up on the end of one of then it’s the golden snaw ticket 

my concern is the convergence zone is starting to end in Dundee with the next one skipping Edinburgh and setting up over Northumberland but hope I’m wrong obviously !

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Wow oh wow massively heavy shower here now.. looks like it could last a long while as well ❄❄

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Goodness. Dundee to Perth has just been getting hammered all afternoon.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

A lull between the heavy snow and now some freezing fog forming over the snow in the fields . Latest measure is 17cm and counting . 

DC91E362-9108-4416-A46F-5C59A4038F0B.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Let’s hope so, the sea breezes in the zones ‘flatten’ the showers rather than the little vertical blobs we’ve getting sporadically all day - like Dundee and Aberdeen you end up on the end of one of then it’s the golden snaw ticket 

my concern is the convergence zone is starting to end in Dundee with the next one skipping Edinburgh and setting up over Northumberland but hope I’m wrong obviously !

No matter what there will be more showers of some description overnight ❄️

• Like 2