Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
12 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

It could intensify the showers coming over the forth and boom into Edinburgh.

I’ll emphasis the word  “could’

I think that's certainly possible, things a bit quiet on our line here with the shift to a more due easterly flow meaning we're having to contend with too much land and not enough Forth to really allow much to get through. An even 23cm here, which I think is a bit better than an average easterly for here, but would be good to round up to an even foot...

• Like 7

Posted

Do’nt be greedy, here just north of Newcastle we may at a push have 2cms with absolutely nothing falling thus far today, plenty of sunshine mind you.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

There was more in my bit in early December 2010 but you would gave to back a long way before that for similar. Just measured 33cms in back and 15/16cms on the path cleared this morning.

66BE29A7-60B8-4905-9BBF-6A4129E24ACD.jpeg

that's it! 2010 couldn't remember the exact year but know it was a decade or so!

we hit 30cm+ this morning after the overnight, I have not measured again since this afternoons scenes

btw i was here on NW back then but site has changed, though I always know where to come for a true picture

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
10 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Snow back on here ... thick and fast ... with another behind it

Aye, these showers are frustrating though, skinny vertical blobs that we get through too quickly. Looks like we've maybe got maybe another 24 hours at best before it all dies away.

• Like 4

Posted

A very good event overall. Not half as amazing as the Beast from the East but still one of the top 5 or 6 largest snowfalls I’ve experienced in the past 15 years. Compared to 2018 the showers have been more infrequent and lighter overall with a mixture of fluffy snowflakes and smaller powdery snow. There’s some drifting but not on the scale as 2018. It seems we have clipped the edges of showers so I’m hoping to get a few direct hits of heavier showers. 2018 had a maximum of -3C which was the coldest in the records since 1973 for February at Glasgow Airport. Today the temperature didn’t get above 0C which is the coldest maximum temperature of the winter so far and one of coldest on the past 35+ years at the airport. The impressive streamer around Dundee is reminiscent of 2018 and worthy of a red warning. I wonder if we could see something fairly similar further south. 

DBD51A62-FFAE-4952-8BBE-59B7FA32A78A.jpeg

EC0CF312-CD4B-43FD-8C58-F68DC57E59B6.jpeg

516C0A42-FB1F-4051-A358-C0D3830ACB98.jpeg

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Aye, these showers are frustrating though, skinny vertical blobs that we get through too quickly. Looks like we've maybe got maybe another 24 hours at best before it all dies away.

We only need a few decent prolonged blobs. These 5 minute things are nice to look at but that's about it. 

• Like 7

Posted

Perth Airport getting a pastiing

fbimg2.jpg
PERTHAIRPORT.CO.UK

Check out our live feeds of the airport and see what's happening at Perth Airport, Scone, Scotland.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, ECOSSE1650 said:

Moderate sized flakes in Barnton, Edinburgh at 1650.

interesting that the wind has eased off so the showers may become slower moving too

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy / snow

The showers behind this band are moving in a more north eaately flow. Lets see what happens!!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Just been on the blower with my mither in Dundee, says it's biblical sna. 

think that's the difference TBH seen some mega sna'fa' around here in my time but none quite like this with more to come

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all!  What a day for many.  Attention North-Easters with more knowledge than me (that put's everyone in frame!).  Ignoring the radar and concentrating on the satellite visual returns, there looks to me to be some pretty interesting potential brewing for early evening.  Perhaps a last hurray for the next day or so?  Any opinions?  It is just coming in to the North East quadrant around 100km diagonally offshore Aberdeen.  Rainfall radar is only half interesting, but I wondered if it will brew up?  I guess we will see in a few hours, and there are a few wee ones inbound it seems before then to keep us occupied in the mean time!

EDIT I see MetO auto forecast has heavy snow 7pm and 8pm - maybe coincidental, or maybe not (though their text forecast suggest pettering out this evening)

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dundeeguy said:

I have no idea what type of weather has to occur for a red warning to be issued 

64934CF5-6D8C-4DF4-A04A-5BC8F5BAFEDA.jpeg

9326AB44-7CE8-4F66-8F13-953B6DDF870C.png

Or even an amber one for round here.

Still snowing and definitely the most lying snow now since 2010.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
6 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Evening all!  What a day for many.  Attention North-Easters with more knowledge than me (that put's everyone in frame!).  Ignoring the radar and concentrating on the satellite visual returns, there looks to me to be some pretty interesting potential brewing for early evening.  Perhaps a last hurray for the next day or so?  Any opinions?  It is just coming in to the North East quadrant around 100km diagonally offshore Aberdeen.  Rainfall radar is only half interesting, but I wondered if it will brew up?  I guess we will see in a few hours, and there are a few wee ones inbound it seems before then to keep us occupied in the mean time!

EDIT I see MetO auto forecast has heavy snow 7pm and 8pm - maybe coincidental, or maybe not (though their text forecast suggest pettering out this evening)

I see similar 6 ish onwards for a bit maybe a couple of hours if we are lucky 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

5pm:

image.thumb.png.8b88cf5ad962c9439e0079e9ade73432.png

18 minutes later.....

image.thumb.png.091245a978f71c35c8fc1ad557fd6627.png

LOVING this.....

• Like 8