Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Think if I was in Fife this morning I'd stay home it looks nasty for a good while 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Next big blob and another behind it are intensifying and heading right for my house.. come on snaw lets be having you. ❄❄❄

• Like 1

Posted

Funnily enough it wasn't the thought of snow that had me up early as I guessed Aberdeen wasn't in line for much overnight but it was the cricket

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Even in the gap between the two lines we seem to be getting snow, not as heavy but I think we're starting to see more convection bridging the gap between the lines and some cropping up at the head of East Lothian as well. 

• Like 4

Posted

Some chill in some locations this morning a -14 or 15 very likely in the usual spots though I'd say the coldest night of the year is looking like Wednesday to Thursday morning some bone chillers looking very much on the cards as the wind drops out double digits below for quite a few 

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, drm said:

Funnily enough it wasn't the thought of snow that had me up early as I guessed Aberdeen wasn't in line for much overnight but it was the cricket

That’s going well too !

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Even in the gap between the two lines we seem to be getting snow, not as heavy but I think we're starting to see more convection bridging the gap between the lines and some cropping up at the head of East Lothian as well. 

For central embra we really need the line to come from north Berwick but it’s more from Dunbar which takes the heavy stuff just south over Dalkeith,  Currie, Penicuik and N Lanarkshire. That’s where it seems to have been most of last night and so far this morning 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, JoeShmoe said:

That’s going well too !

Be over by tea time in India veteran Anderson shows them how to do it.im one of those rare things A Scot who played and loves cricket

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, drm said:

Be over by tea time in India veteran Anderson shows them how to do it.im one of those rare things A Scot who played and loves cricket

There’s a few to be fair ! Quite weird looking at Chennai on the tv where it’s 33c and it’s started snowing again out the window!

• Like 3

Posted

I am hoping that some of the more “generous” models prove to be on the money over the coming hours. Several of them have quite a bit of snow down the eastern coastal strip by this evening but there is limited agreement.

• Like 4

Posted

Woke up to not really any more snow than when I went to bed last night. Think Edinburgh has been unlucky with the shower track overnight, but a heavy snow shower has just started so hopefully this is changing!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Allyw12 said:

Morning 

Nice to see all the snow pictures this morning.   looks like we got snow showers for most of the night here @edo   going to see how much snow we have now, I’m guessing 10cm.   hope we get a few more showers today ??

I live near oakbank and I measured 16cm 

• Like 5

Posted
43 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

There’s a few to be fair ! Quite weird looking at Chennai on the tv where it’s 33c and it’s started snowing again out the window!

I always used to tell folk per head of population there are more crickets in Aberdeen than Mumbai ,not sure he believed melooking like a lot of folk going nowhere on the roads today mind you they should only be out for the right reasons anyway 

Edited by drm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, sn0wman said:

Woke up to not really any more snow than when I went to bed last night. Think Edinburgh has been unlucky with the shower track overnight, but a heavy snow shower has just started so hopefully this is changing!

Looks like it - it's been similar here, a couple of wee showers since 3am but not much otherwise on the same track, and what we did have cropped up once the shower was to the west of Edinburgh.

The flow is basically as it was further east with maybe slightly more of a northerly tilt out in the North Sea, but further west there's a bit of a bend in the isobars that's causing some movement from southeast to northwest and presumably weakening the showers. This looks like it will be flattened out in the next couple of hours so I'd expect more of the showers to get through intact as the day goes on. 

• Like 8

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

@jon_d1983 you awake ?? Its epic and more is coming..❄❄❄

Awoke to it finishing off. Looks like we are getting another one in 40 mins or so though

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We've got 14cm so far as measured on top of the blue bin. I'll get a photo when there's a bit more light. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
21 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Looks like it - it's been similar here, a couple of wee showers since 3am but not much otherwise on the same track, and what we did have cropped up once the shower was to the west of Edinburgh.

The flow is basically as it was further east with maybe slightly more of a northerly tilt out in the North Sea, but further west there's a bit of a bend in the isobars that's causing some movement from southeast to northwest and presumably weakening the showers. This looks like it will be flattened out in the next couple of hours so I'd expect more of the showers to get through intact as the day goes on. 

Same story here as well. About 2.5 inches in Morningside (estimated not meadured).  But we’ve been at that level since about 2am.

• Like 3