Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We're currently at -24/-30 in blazing sunshine with a smir of diamond dust causing the world to flash and sparkle, we have about a foot of snow on the ground much of which is compressed white ice since it's been there for months. Yes I am a lucky bugger but I really don't recommend the route I took to get here, there must be an easier way to reach glory. I have to admit that for the first time I am feeling a tiny bit homesick today, not for the weather but simply cos it's not the same on here having some mad banter with you lot ☹

Did u mean to get stuck in Canada ? 

I live Canada absolutely stunning country 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

That wee mini blob over me really intensified in matter of miles on the radar! Absolutely thumping it down!

Yeah I'm tracking them all with the marker pen on the laptop screen 

Had a wee fright 10 minutes ago when I tried to clean the marker pen off the touch screen and it wouldn't come off. Luckily these COVID alcohol wipes have more than one use.... Would have been hard to explain the markings on the screen to the wife if I hadn't got them off 

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Had a wee fright 10 minutes ago when I tried to clean the marker pen off the touch screen and it wouldn't come off. Luckily these COVID alcohol wipes have more than one use.... Would have been hard to explain the markings on the screen to the wife if I hadn't got them off 

Hahaha My wife just doesn't get it! She thinks I'm a lost cause!! Thankfully the A1 is still my friend! Anything running down that this evening is a direct hit! 

And that 'mini' blob has turned into the best shower for a while! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Every time a blob passes over there is pretty much 10 minutes of, what seems to be almost daylight. Right now it is pitch black out the back garden (facing due East) next time there is a blob I can see everything. The blob sky is so loaded with the white stuff it's almost illuminating

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Haha, all that stressing earlier is forgotten now.

Although I do agree it has been a strange start to this easterly and like you, I expected more widespread showers from the off rather than waiting on convergence zones.

• Like 3

Posted

There looks like a lot more snow to come tonight going by the latest radar.

8257D00F-0221-45E3-96C8-028EC8439A69.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

There's something wonderful watching these brightly coloured blobs subsume half the country, this one looks especially blobby and about as intense as we've had I'd say if it holds up ok:

Screenshot_20210209_001139_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.30496fbba6b03b9780153de6acc8ffbf.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
6 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Haha, all that stressing earlier is forgotten now.

Although I do agree it has been a strange start to this easterly and like you, I expected more widespread showers from the off rather than waiting on convergence zones.

Ha, pathetic wasn't it! Was completely doubting what I thought I knew about what happens here in these situations. Ultimately it has indeed done the business. Phew. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
2 minutes ago, Livet Laddie said:

We had a minor streamer this morning...but even though it probably snowed a couple of hours it was like powder and only gave an extra cm or so. We are on day 48 with snow laying here continuously...54 days laying since 1st December. Depth at present is about 30 cm, much deeper in drifts. Sunny afternoon and max -3C. Lost count of ice days...Pic of road near house- they stopped clearing side roads due to cut backs.

8528F2FE-4732-4993-A84A-ABB6CF9DCF48.jpeg

That's incredible stats. Unusual for location or par for the course? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

There's something wonderful watching these brightly coloured blobs subsume half the country, this one looks especially blobby and about as intense as we've had I'd say if it holds up ok:

Screenshot_20210209_001139_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.30496fbba6b03b9780153de6acc8ffbf.jpg

So glad I changed my work day , however if things keep going the way they are I believe there is a good chance I won’t get the car out the street on Wednesday 

can confirm that blob is blobby indeed 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Ha, pathetic wasn't it! Was completely doubting what I thought I knew about what happens here in these situations. Ultimately it has indeed done the business. Phew. 

Don’t worry, I was getting a bit concerned too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
40 minutes ago, aggy said:

What was everyone’s totals during that 

I had zero

You've upgraded from 0 to like 2 feet or so in 2018 It was crazy in Cumbernauld - I remember working there at the time and folk couldn't get out at all, cars stranded on the M80 etc 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

How can you not stress though? I struggled getting through work today with checking stuff! This is such a rare event

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, aggy said:

So glad I changed my work day , however if things keep going the way they are I believe there is a good chance I won’t get the car out the street on Wednesday 

can confirm that blob is blobby indeed 

Can't argue with these results, crazy snow 

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

This next blob should be decent enough! 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, LomondSnowstorm said:

You've upgraded from 0 to like 2 feet or so in 2018 It was crazy in Cumbernauld - I remember working there at the time and folk couldn't get out at all, cars stranded on the M80 etc 

Yep, I was on the M80 running flasks of tea and coffee till the small hours, we were tending on twitter as #snowangels

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

If I still lived in Edinburgh I'd never be satisfied until the snow was actually on and settling - I'm still scarred from 2012/13 when it was permanently half a degree too warm to lie in town

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Thunderstorms, Snow

What a difference a day can make! Arbroath at 2pm (7th) vs arbroath at 7pm (8th). Plus a few more from the 8th.

The hill behind our house was busy with people on their sleds. Had a wee go myself, spent more time on my face than the board but oh well

20210207_143300.jpg

20210208_232524.jpg

20210208_170344.jpg

20210208_170339.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

This next blob should be decent enough! 

Which one?

I can’t believe the time already but the radar is loaded and I don’t  want to miss anything. ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Livet Laddie said:

Pic of road near house- they stopped clearing side roads due to cut backs.

Is that Moray council? Aberdeenshire are the opposite, our single track only leads to 3 houses and is ploughed and gritted daily by the big county plough with a local farmer on contract keeping on top of things more regularly while snow is falling/blowing in. Seems ridiculous but not complaining! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Side said:

Which one?

I can’t believe the time already but the radar is loaded and I don’t  want to miss anything. ❄️

Bottle of wine 2 has been opened

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

If I still lived in Edinburgh I'd never be satisfied until the snow was actually on and settling - I'm still scarred from 2012/13 when it was permanently half a degree too warm to lie in town

That’s when living on this side of Town with a wee bit elevation gives you an edge.

Although for once the word marginal isn’t in the vocabulary these last couple of days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

What a great evening watching snaw...this has been the best event for a years...also good to see so many getting a decent fall as well.

Fingers crossed more to come on Tuesday.

• Like 5