Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Now 4cm in Pittenweem! 

Four times more than here. The world has gone mad  About bloody time you got some though. Is that the most since 2010?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
22 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Not sure why some of these embed and some attach? Either way tremendous full on Beasterly action there...!

This one is MOV - that's an Apple Quicktime format.

HTML5 only has direct play in the browser (ie without any 3rd party apps needed) with MP4 (h264), OGV, VP8 and 9 (WebM) and AV1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Don't think I,ll bother checking the lampost a flake every other minutethe precipitation is disappearing as soon as it get close to the city then once past gets going again the fun of the chase 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

The problem with that is they have a longer track over land before getting to us so we don't get the heavy showers. We really need a slight change in wind direction to more of an ENE'ly/NE'ly to get some good depths, but from what I could see on the few models I looked at, this doesn't look likely! 

I thought they were swinging that way a little earlier but the showers coming from the Forth are still north of here over Glasgow and those tracking a bit further south across the Lothians are dying before they get here. 

Did have a light shower a little earlier. It didn’t so much lie but rather the wind blew it into neat piles.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, JamesM said:

I thought they were swinging that way a little earlier but the showers coming from the Forth are still north of here over Glasgow and those tracking a bit further south across the Lothians are dying before they get here. 

Did have a light shower a little earlier. It didn’t so much lie but rather the wind blew it into neat piles.

Yeah, from what I could see on the charts they were ENE off the forth but then move more East to West as they cross the country. Can't really complain as we have a light covering of snow, but still hoping for some decent snow depths by the end of tomorrow...

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, drm said:

Don't think I,ll bother checking the lampost a flake every other minutethe precipitation is disappearing as soon as it get close to the city then once past gets going again the fun of the chase 

I’ve stopped watching the radar some little flakes blowing in on the breeze when I took the dog out. It will be what it is when I wake up in the morning ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

@LomondSnowstorm are these showers were getting now are they ment to be even more heavy throughout the night cause these showers are mental when it comes to intensey and this is before the amber warning too

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

I’ve stopped watching the radar some little flakes blowing in on the breeze when I took the dog out. It will be what it is when I wake up in the morning ??

A game of peek a boo

Screenshot_20210208_211920_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm only tagging you in this as you live as close to the airport as anyone else I can think of. The TAF for Edinburgh Airport looks awesome, +SHSN means a chance of heavy snow showers and it is fairly rare to see this in the TAF for that location:

77176770_Screenshot_20210208-142844_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.20ad5ea3d87e800d2668b76fe6ff4ea8.jpg

Interestingly the TAF for Glasgow Airport also mentions heavy snow showers, another rare sight.

Excellent. Hopefully good news for here too!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
16 minutes ago, drm said:

A game of peek a boo

Screenshot_20210208_211920_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ellon snaw shield in all its glory...

• Like 3

Posted

Another shower closing in here. On the radar anything running down the A1 from East Lothian appears to be a direct hit!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

How are people doing temperature wise?

We are currently at -2.6C/-3.7C

It was -1.8C an hour ago.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Ellon snaw shield in all its glory...

Frustrating night but oh well at least we did get some still a chance of snow early morning and tomorrow going by the met office ,we shall see . T 0.3c dp-6c

Edited by drm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
19 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

@LomondSnowstorm are these showers were getting now are they ment to be even more heavy throughout the night cause these showers are mental when it comes to intensey and this is before the amber warning too

Don't think they can get much heavier to be honest! But probably staying at a similar intensity where the convergence zones are, maybe easing a bit in between times or less frequent.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Just now, drm said:

Frustrating night but oh well at least we did get some still a chance of snow early morning and tomorrow going by the met office ,we shall see 

I saw a fax chart somewhere earlier for thursday with what looked like a front moving down from the North East so maybe one last hurrah at the end of the week for us.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

I saw a fax chart somewhere earlier for thursday with what looked like a front moving down from the North East so maybe one last hurrah at the end of the week for us.

Saw that too and also the met mention a chance of prolonged snow later in the week hopefully it stays in the forecast as a thought ,one worry is winds are forecast out of the south east then and the coast up here doesn't do well from them dew points wise especially 

Edited by drm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Heaviest snow so far passing through - struggling to see across the road with the wind really picking up with this one. 

• Like 6