Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

I estimate about 5-10 more minutes before full whiteout mode again in Edinburgh 

• Like 3

Posted

I shouldn’t have been so sceptical, Bo’ness is doing not too bad out this at the moment. Lots of lovely showers stacking up and drifting up the forth. Cars already being left stuck on the hills though and a couple of hours yet until other half has to get home from Stirling. 

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

It's still astounding to me that the operational forecaster at the Met Office is watching this and not putting an immediate amber warning out. White out conditions and snow covering the busiest motorway in Scotland surely merits something more than yellow on the impact matrix. We've seen this time after time with easterlies, and it's not like their own models aren't showing this. 

These showers are intense too, but I suppose the yellow warning covers them as they said 10 to 15cm is possible

Edited by Penicuikblizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
24 minutes ago, scott125 said:

Snow lying in Glasgow City Centre and nothing in East Kilbride, not often this happens

There’s even snow lying in Clarkston...

I think the south side of Glasgow is just outside the good stuff though. It’ll need much more than what’s falling from these showers to give us any meaningful depth of snow. It’s a dusting here after about 45 min of snow - flakes are just too small. 

The charts posted by @lorenzo don’t exactly bode well if I’m honest. Snow depths seem to stop in their tracks as soon as they meet the Clyde valley.

Obviously hope I’m wrong!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
16 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

A wee video of the last shower.

IMG_1756.MOV 9.53 MB · 2 downloads

Not sure why some of these embed and some attach? Either way tremendous full on Beasterly action there...!

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

The Cumbernauld to Falkirk area seems to be in the gap between the showers. 

Think it’s resolving now ??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Backin a line of fire again now. Snowing but not as intense as in the late afternoon. Nice and powdery on top though and crunchy underneath as the temperature has dropped a touch. 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Quick update, can't believe it's only 8:30pm and still SIX AND A HALF hours before the Amber warning even starts.... 

level snow depth give or take, 7cm and drifts starting to take shape, some hitting 20cm+ including at my back door 

IMG_20210208_202755.thumb.jpg.a13b008ff1964ef9200b3d046f46a07d.jpg

IMG_20210208_203026.thumb.jpg.9a30a87de1e1afaf1c8684aa015635df.jpg

IMG_20210208_202542.thumb.jpg.7857d90de9ffc722531a38b6f406ef88.jpg

IMG_20210208_203043.thumb.jpg.e98401fedffe900bb94a6a377f2f75ba.jpg

Brilliant stuff . I would need to head out to the car park as the garden won’t really have a level reading 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Bleh. Not very impressed with this current one

Posted

For us Glasgow southsiders looks like the bottom edge of each blob is inching southwards. I'm tracking showers making landfall at Dunbar as those with our name on it. Stressful times as kids expectations for the morning are now sky high...

• Like 5

Posted

M8 looks like it's getting pummeled in places v snowy looking Glasgow.....Alexandria also getting a good coverying near loch lomond. Think the met will update warnings..and perhaps extend the geographic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Backin a line of fire again now. Snowing but not as intense as in the late afternoon. Nice and powdery on top though and crunchy underneath as the temperature has dropped a touch. 

surprised at that looks intense on radar, i am setting timer for 40 mins till take dog out and that shower should be with me

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Hawesy said:

Now 4cm in Pittenweem! 

Wow, nice!!! Enjoy, I think you have more than earned it... I hope you get loads more

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Geordie Exile said:

For us Glasgow southsiders looks like the bottom edge of each blob is inching southwards. I'm tracking showers making landfall at Dunbar as those with our name on it. Stressful times as kids expectations for the morning are now sky high...

The problem with that is they have a longer track over land before getting to us so we don't get the heavy showers. We really need a slight change in wind direction to more of an ENE'ly/NE'ly to get some good depths, but from what I could see on the few models I looked at, this doesn't look likely! 

• Like 3