Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Light snow here from that weird blob that came in from North of the convergence lines.

• Like 8

Posted

Still just not tracking south enough for me. Thought the shower that’s likely just passed over @LomondSnowstorm would head this way if it didn’t break up but looking a few miles too far north still.

A lot of chat about Cumbernauld potentially being in the sweet spot. I grew up in the ‘Nauld and always remember it being a bit of an all or nothing place for snow. As a kid, snow was always judged on whether school was closed or not. Remember a few good frontal snowfalls. 

In terms of big events, these seemed to come along every few years. Jan 87 is the first one I really remember and was epic for a kid. I recall our newly installed boiler with east facing flue packed up. I recall something around 91 or 92 and then 96. Went off to Uni after that but between Christmas and New Year 2000 there was a big amount from the west although unusually there was more in parts west and south of Glasgow. I missed the blizzard in 2001 by a day. Finally I remember having to go and try to remove the snow off my fathers greenhouse in 2010 as he thought it was about to collapse! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
21 minutes ago, aggy said:

Are the convergence lines splitting ? Or is it my eyes 

so to keep track of tonight tomorrow the is this the position the line stays on or does it go north then come back up the fourth 

just so I’m prepared and don’t have a meltdown 

From my reading of it, it'll alternate between being split and fluctuating - I think it might be starting to move back north a bit in an hour or two and I certainly don't think places like Perth, for example, are at all out of it yet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Run complete in near whiteout conditions at times, with that beautiful orange glow in the sky. Loved every second of it!  

Weather report - heavy snow showers passing by fairly regularly at the moment, covering of a cm or two so far. 

Hope everyone gets their share over the next few days. 

• Like 5

Posted
52 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Euro4 broadly the same as before, maybe less for the "Slamannan bullseye" and more for Fife but still quite impressive totals flagged.euro4_uk1-46-48-0.thumb.png.cd5392ab6146f967472040b46f6bdae0.png

No sign of graupel here in the heavier stuff ❄️

That's exactly what I was hoping for, flags up 50-60cm (taken with a bucket of salt ofcourse), for livingston, Bathgate, Armadale, blackridge, Caldercruix. 

Definitely a correction I wanted to see. 

We have a decent covering already, maybe 3cm on the flat on average but some parts reaching 6-7cm with the wind. Just a pity the wind isn't stronger 

• Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, edo said:

Been very heavy showers here last couple of hours... One lasted 40 minutes just as went out to sledge and snowball fight which was just luck.... Ive steered clear of the radar today just looking now. Hope the whole perth contingent have had these showers I have been getting. Defo lining up beefier ones towards Lothian now but plenty random showers being generated and given the forecasts in here confident will have about 13cm to 15cm by tomorrow morning. 

Been so consumed by this spell not looked beyond Wednesday so may go and see what the future potentially holds aswell. 

Delighted for @Hawesy

And just like that I think @Norranceshower from his walk has reached here.

Vid from around 4.45 earlier. 

We just had a shower dumping 1.5-2cm in 10 minutes then the next thing I knew was digging the cars out.

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all! Fantastic photos and videos so far. The snow has finally arrived and I'm sitting in the Amber zone. Range rover is fuelled and tow cables ready. Mrs told me to get away from the windows... Aye right! If anyone in Fife region gets stuck I'm patrolling love it feel 10 again.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 hours ago, drm said:

Think it will die off quickly and we may see a flake fluttering in the wind ,while the main action gets going further south areas in the central belt near the Forth Clyde streamer will see good depths over the next day or two 

Think Im changing my mind on the area of precipitation out to the east of me it's a curious feature ,it was dying of but seems like it's building and might intensify soon it's as if two areas of cloud hitting into each other in a convergence of a sort ,anyone able to explain it ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
4 hours ago, Ross B said:

We've found another glory hunter @101_North 

I take exception to that , Ross

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Still just not tracking south enough for me. Thought the shower that’s likely just passed over @LomondSnowstorm would head this way if it didn’t break up but looking a few miles too far north still.

A lot of chat about Cumbernauld potentially being in the sweet spot. I grew up in the ‘Nauld and always remember it being a bit of an all or nothing place for snow. As a kid, snow was always judged on whether school was closed or not. Remember a few good frontal snowfalls. 

In terms of big events, these seemed to come along every few years. Jan 87 is the first one I really remember and was epic for a kid. I recall our newly installed boiler with east facing flue packed up. I recall something around 91 or 92 and then 96. Went off to Uni after that but between Christmas and New Year 2000 there was a big amount from the west although unusually there was more in parts west and south of Glasgow. I missed the blizzard in 2001 by a day. Finally I remember having to go and try to remove the snow off my fathers greenhouse in 2010 as he thought it was about to collapse! 

I mean im

not actually certain that it is it’s just my prerogative  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
17 minutes ago, drm said:

Think Im changing my mind on the area of precipitation out to the east of me it's a curious feature ,it was dying of but seems like it's building and might intensify soon it's as if two areas of cloud hitting into each other in a convergence of a sort ,anyone able to explain it ?

I don’t think it’s coming too much right now. Quite a few showers coming through but they are fairly light and only last a few mins. You looking at the bigger blobs due east of Aberdeen?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
50 minutes ago, edo said:

Been very heavy showers here last couple of hours... One lasted 40 minutes just as went out to sledge and snowball fight which was just luck.... Ive steered clear of the radar today just looking now. Hope the whole perth contingent have had these showers I have been getting. Defo lining up beefier ones towards Lothian now but plenty random showers being generated and given the forecasts in here confident will have about 13cm to 15cm by tomorrow morning. 

Been so consumed by this spell not looked beyond Wednesday so may go and see what the future potentially holds aswell. 

Delighted for @Hawesy

And just like that I think @Norranceshower from his walk has reached here.

Vid from around 4.45 earlier. 

Including the heavy shower at teatime 7cm here which is not bad.  wish I could have your optimism @edo for snow tonight    

Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
1 minute ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Amazing snow here, just gone off but hard to remember seeing such intensity. Covered over a well gritted busy road in a couple of minutes. You really do have to wonder though - how is snow this intense alone, in central Scotland, not grounds for an amber warning tonight? I take the point about lockdown certainly but still... 

Anyway I'll go back to enjoying it after the wee rant

That looks like what we had yesterday afternoon, lovely to watch. Enjoy  

• Like 5