Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
9 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

We're starting to see the southward shift on the convergence zone on the radar. Probably expect it to end up over the Forth (although with the northern end still North of the Tay just about) by 5pm based on the models and the radar, although the heaviest and most persistent stuff will arrive tomorrow morning. 

Surely that’ll finally enhance the shower activity for Edinburgh and Lothian’s ❄️❄️

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
22 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

We're starting to see the southward shift on the convergence zone on the radar. Probably expect it to end up over the Forth (although with the northern end still North of the Tay just about) by 5pm based on the models and the radar, although the heaviest and most persistent stuff will arrive tomorrow morning. 

Can I ask if Perth area will still see any of the more persistent showers tonight/tomorrow?  I feel we’re going to end up missing out again. 

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, cragonmore said:

Thanks guys I think I understand. I do remember the point about graupel and risk re avalanche conditions when I did my winter hill navigation training but didn’t recall what caused it to form in the first place.

It’s caused by super cold water droplets sticking to the snowflakes as they fall....basic explanation lol

• Like 7

Posted

Some parts here have practically no cover and others have about an inch with mini drifts starting to take shape against fences and up kerbs etc 

IMG-20210208-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
26 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I've been outside since dawn - made no difference so far  

829179548_5d01b2a82100003711eb824c(1).thumb.jpeg.09d1477ffb9f267c59a3ec1257dae1c9.jpeg

Dawn?   Oh I was up long before that!..The older you get, there's a lot more to erm 'fix' in the mornings!

IMG-20210203-WA0000.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
43 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

As long as it dosent shift too far south

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
47 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

We've been getting lots of graupel here today too. I think you can almost see the difference between graupel and snow showers on the radar - to me graupel showers have jaggy edges whereas snow showers look much more smooth. Graupel showers also tend to become smoother the further inland they get.

Despite doing a meteorology degree, I must admit that I'm not completely sure what atmospheric conditions lead to graupel formation... However, something to note is that showers really should be pepping up during the next 24 hours as much colder air at 500 hPa floods in (see 2 pm today vs 2 pm tomorrow). The North Sea snow machine is already producing pretty beefy showers so somewhere is really going to get pasted. 

image.thumb.png.f41d4f776251e2183f8a99e4a1786a29.png

image.thumb.png.35f760edee24b3c9b309907e6b88472f.png

I'll take a shot! Graupel is a combination of lots of cold air aloft, shallow (and i mean quite shallow) warm layer near the surface and pretty strong uplift. All 3 of which are certainly present today. 

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Radar has really picked up out to sea! Somewhere is getting pasted! 

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.2342355a2bc47038f5f84276bd8930f8.jpg

How much of this (over land) is sticking? And how much is snow as well. Its a good sign that this activity is picking up as we head into nighttime. Stupid sunshine is screwing up boundary layer temps!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

A flurry, a flurry!!!!  image.thumb.png.1a4fbf5ee401793e8e6588ae5d1ca512.png

Sure it's not dandruff? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
15 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Radar has really picked up out to sea! Somewhere is getting pasted! 

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.2342355a2bc47038f5f84276bd8930f8.jpg

Hard to see how the one of the coast of Dunbar can miss us, wee test of this sinking south (TBD) convergence zone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
8 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

How much of this (over land) is sticking? And how much is snow as well. Its a good sign that this activity is picking up as we head into nighttime. Stupid sunshine is screwing up boundary layer temps!

Certainly inland over Angus it’s sticking and boy is it impressive in its intensity when you get a shower albeit brief. As already mentioned convergence line of showers now jogging south and will clear Angus next hour or so I recon. I’m still intrigued however by that cluster of showers off the north east coast of Aberdeen. It doesn’t look like a new convergence line but quite a specific form of showers or something which is creating a radar return. Will it intensify and where is it heading?

Edited by cragonmore
  • Like 7