Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
17 minutes ago, edo said:

I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel like I can relax now have 8cm on the ground and been able to watch a ton of showers fall. Will still be very jealous if everything falls so far south miss out on the real juicy stuff but don't mind giving you 3 or 4 cm

You have 8cm!!!??? i have about 3cm here. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cragonmore said:

We have had quite few brief but intense showers today (the kind that all  goes dark and blizzard like moment )  but I’m intrigued as to why has every one of them been mostly graupel apart from the very end of the shower when it changes to dry fluffy snow flakes. Temps are below freezing as are wb so not like that’s a problem. What are the conditions that cause precipitation to fall as graupel most every time today?

Good question and one for the more meteorologically astute contributors like @LomondSnowstorm. What I can say is that I frequently experience the same thing (particularly so in 2010 when half of what ended up on the ground was graupel). I understand it's particularly common just onshore in these kind of set ups but what causes the snowflakes to be covered in a layer of ice I'm not sure!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Gogoslo said:

Just noticed that on radar.  Fingers crossed.  Looks quite a hefty amount of it reaches us.  

It's intriguing as the radar does show a lot of something out there arriving in the evening....

image.thumb.png.4aecd1d38dd1848defb1281c57a53b66.png

But the weather apps show dry conditions in the main for the rest of the day...

image.thumb.png.4463766985a9ebb9ef2968484e4287e9.png 

image.thumb.png.a507712461a8f9e034952c14d36f1374.png

Sun is allowing snow to thaw on the roofs but air temperature 0c.  Light winds, some big showers to the south of us.

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Quinach said:

It's intriguing as the radar does show a lot of something out there arriving in the evening....

image.thumb.png.4aecd1d38dd1848defb1281c57a53b66.png

But the weather apps show dry conditions in the main for the rest of the day...

image.thumb.png.4463766985a9ebb9ef2968484e4287e9.png 

image.thumb.png.a507712461a8f9e034952c14d36f1374.png

Sun is allowing snow to thaw on the roofs but air temperature 0c.  Light winds, some big showers to the south of us.

I wonder if the activity (if real) will die out before it reaches the land and just give us cloudy but dry conditions. Who knows!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

By the way I’m actually beginning to think that where I am in Renfrewshire is going to be in the firing line later into tomorrow! Didn’t see that coming! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
54 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Forth Estuary is gagging for it but flurries apart, being spurned by blobs and streamers to the north in Fife, and to Berwickshire in the south. Something going on in the 3-D dynamics this time that I don't understand. I normally give family and friends 3 or 4 days notice of these events when I'm convinced they're going to happen (anything to make me look clever about the weather LOL), but didn't this time - probably based on the relatively non-standard winter we've had . Something not quite right in the setup for us and not convinced its going to resolve significantly. Anyway, just TORPing in the absence of anything much happening here 

I haven't lived here long enough to lean on experience, but I would tend to agree that something doesn't seem quite right with this setup. Even in the days leading up to this "event", the environment around Edinburgh never really felt correct for accumulating snow. Lots of sleet and graupel when the cells did move over the area, but thats it. And now this sunshine isn't helping surface temps at all.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Thanks guys I think I understand. I do remember the point about graupel and risk re avalanche conditions when I did my winter hill navigation training but didn’t recall what caused it to form in the first place.

Edited by cragonmore
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
37 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm still hopeful that things may change. The charts do show the convergence zone affecting the Forth more overnight and tomorrow and a definite more northerly tilt. It's painful though. Been almost a week of chart and model watching and still hee-haw to show for it  

138385796.thumb.gif.312d7246bc9dd3d34ecb568614bbf895.gif138388139.thumb.gif.168fe6565d3a71260ef46e2123c2453d.gif

Yup. Tonight and tomorrow always looked like the prime periods for Edinburgh snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

Can I just say something - forget all your fancy charts and forecasting.

if I turn up on this forum it’s almost certainly time to be excited

just ask @Ross B he was in a state of hysteria the last time! 

We've found another glory hunter @101_North 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I keep saying it but shows how crazy it is when we look at chart after chart trying to get a feel for snow likely and the conditions can be so localised. My colleague had zero in Oakbank last night when I was looking at a frenzied whiteout with 3cm on the ground. Let's just remain fingers crossed we all get a sustained streamer tonight particularly spanning luncarty to Abernethy

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
50 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

You have 8cm!!!??? i have about 3cm here. 

Same I could push it to 5cm plus we’ve had a bit of a thaw.  Tbh not feeling very hopeful at the moment.  

Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ross B said:

We've found another glory hunter @101_North 

I wonder will this one start scolding folks for using erroneous acronyms?  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What's the chances of those shower streams splitting north and south of Fife tonight?

If I knew how to place a bet, mine would reflect the expectation of chances being pretty high!  

Place your virtual bets folks!

Don't panic!   Touch of reverse psychology!   (Beats standing outside in a bikini in this weather!)

• Like 5