Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 minute ago, Gogoslo said:

Looks like most of the snow now will be across central Scotland.  It’s good to share.  Must admit we had a self proclaimed “snow day” this morning.  We didn’t have much but enough to have fun with the kids.   Great memory making in these odd times.  

That may depend on what area out east is and where it is headed? I wonder if the radar returns are genuine.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes, I had a quick lunch and got some sledging in with my daughter.  Conditions were perfect (apart from missing out on the "Aberdeen streamer to the south...")

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
1 minute ago, doctormog said:

That may depend on what area out east is and where it is headed? I wonder if the radar returns are genuine.

It certianly looks interesting, fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, doctormog said:

I'll let you know if it lands up here.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
9 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Forth Estuary is gagging for it but flurries apart, being spurned by blobs and streamers to the north in Fife, and to Berwickshire in the south. Something going on in the 3-D dynamics this time that I don't understand. I normally give family and friends 3 or 4 days notice of these events when I'm convinced they're going to happen (anything to make me look clever about the weather LOL), but didn't this time - probably based on the relatively non-standard winter we've had . Something not quite right in the setup for us and not convinced its going to resolve significantly. Anyway, just TORPing in the absence of anything much happening here 

Tell me about it - I'm currently on the "Edinburgh track" (or maybe a tad to the west of it) and it's been a painful couple of hours aside from the odd shower The Forth is looking as decent for convection as it has all day though so I'm hopeful, maybe a slight change in the wind direction would help too (although ultimately once the convergence zone heads that'll probably do the trick).

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I do think you guys should do pretty well, theres no particular reason the showers would avoid East Lothian, certainly compared to the issues Edinburgh faces where we need a bit more of a northerly tilt, and you'll still be getting heavy stuff well into Wednesday as well even if it's not quite as good today for whatever reasons 

Sounds promising, hopefully your right! We’ve had a couple of showers so far today, but nothing that’s lasted longer than a few minutes so still little on the ground. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Exactly my thought, raised a bit of an eyebrow to recent evolution on the radar had been tracking it since earlier this morning coming off the Norwegian coast. Not 100% convinced yet, bit I nearly am!

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Forth Estuary is gagging for it but flurries apart, being spurned by blobs and streamers to the north in Fife, and to Berwickshire in the south. Something going on in the 3-D dynamics this time that I don't understand. I normally give family and friends 3 or 4 days notice of these events when I'm convinced they're going to happen (anything to make me look clever about the weather LOL), but didn't this time - probably based on the relatively non-standard winter we've had . Something not quite right in the setup for us and not convinced its going to resolve significantly. Anyway, just TORPing in the absence of anything much happening here 

I'm still hopeful that things may change. The charts do show the convergence zone affecting the Forth more overnight and tomorrow and a definite more northerly tilt. It's painful though. Been almost a week of chart and model watching and still hee-haw to show for it  

138385796.thumb.gif.312d7246bc9dd3d34ecb568614bbf895.gif138388139.thumb.gif.168fe6565d3a71260ef46e2123c2453d.gif

• Like 9

Posted

Drove to work this lunchtime, leaving behind Pittenweem where there's still nothing (of course) - been sunny most of the day. Here in St Andrews there's a thin covering.

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm still hopeful that things may change. The charts do show the convergence zone affecting the Forth more overnight and tomorrow and a definite more northerly tilt. It's painful though. Been almost three years of chart and model watching and still hee-haw to show for it  

Adapted that for my perspective...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm still hopeful that things may change. The charts do show the convergence zone affecting the Forth more overnight and tomorrow and a definite more northerly tilt. It's painful though. Been almost a week of chart and model watching and still hee-haw to show for it  

138385796.thumb.gif.312d7246bc9dd3d34ecb568614bbf895.gif138388139.thumb.gif.168fe6565d3a71260ef46e2123c2453d.gif

I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel like I can relax now have 8cm on the ground and been able to watch a ton of showers fall. Will still be very jealous if everything falls so far south miss out on the real juicy stuff but don't mind giving you 3 or 4 cm

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

To be honest I think the snow has followed the forecast quite well so far. If anything there's been a few more showers than I expected by this stage in Edinburgh. The main event should be tonight into tomorrow while the convergence line moves south! We hope...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

We have had quite few brief but intense showers today (the kind that all  goes dark and blizzard like moment )  but I’m intrigued as to why has every one of them been mostly graupel apart from the very end of the shower when it changes to dry fluffy snow flakes. Temps are below freezing as are wb so not like that’s a problem. What are the conditions that cause precipitation to fall as graupel most every time today?

• Like 5

Posted
31 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Just noticed that on radar.  Fingers crossed.  Looks quite a hefty amount of it reaches us.  

• Like 5