Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
44 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Latest Euro 4 got 10-15cm very widely, some spots got 20-30cm, locally 40cm+ Though i wouldn't quite take it literally yet as a streamer or something could be 10-20 miles either way. Though there are increasing signs of a forth streamer too.

hern bay.PNG

Is Cumbernauld in that wee purple but is can’t tell

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

If the euro4 snow predictions turn out to be fairly close to the mark then I suspect we’ll see the amber warning cover a wider area and I’d be shocked if we don’t see a red warning in the areas projected to have 30cm+. The met office are currently going for 25cm at best in the amber area which could turn out to be a massive underestimate. I hope members in the amber warning area have their cameras and metre sticks at the ready (I don’t think a ruler will be big enough in some places!).

Euro4 suggests widespread 10-30cm in central Scotland. I think Bearsden in is in the 20-25cm zone which is close to the Beast from the East. I’d be more than happy to have half of what’s being modelled which would be an excellent event. 

I agree, there is definitely scope for a red warning for sure but I don't imagine it would be issued until late tonight/very early hours tomorrow if there was one to be issued. 

The interesting part for me is that whatever is on the ground prior to 3am isn't considered in the Amber warning totals.... We already have a covering here I don't think it's unrealistic to have a good few inches on the ground prior to the Amber warning even commencing. 

I don't have a meter stick, but I have a 5m tape measure... Wonder if that will be enough

• Like 9

Posted
58 minutes ago, cragonmore said:

Not sure as it’s already about level with Aberdeen now and there is still quite a southwards drift which can be seen when you run animation. May end up with most of that line of showers coming in just south between Aberdeen and Stonehaven.

Then that sounds great for a Deeside Streamer ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
3 minutes ago, Ross B said:

A foot of snow into the Glasgow area, interesting...  It looks as if its more towards Southern Glasgow too, which would be the opposite of the BFTE where North West Glasgow got the worst(best) snow.

Yes I zoomed into the Euro4 and it looks promising for our area but I will believe it when I see it for real 

Some folk on here are in for a real treat over the next couple of days that’s for sure!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After a lull for a couple of hours showers of snow and graupel started again after 11AM but without the same intensity as last night. Not the fine powder of the Beast in 2018 though as the temp is just above freezing. Down at Perth Road any slopes are full of kids getting home tuition.

9DAEEF9E-AACF-4EF5-A7BC-7415CAD1FE64.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I’m not sure about any red warnings simply because due to the lockdown far fewer people are commuting. The 2018 red warning I think was partly to shock people and employers to act.

Agree in the Euro4 @Stormeh - will be very pleasantly surprised if it comes off that way, will be glad with a few cms of snow which hang around for a while in low temps.

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, aggy said:

Is Cumbernauld in that wee purple but is can’t tell

I'd put the purple circle about slammanan to longriggend, which is close enough for a margin of error

As the crow flies, I am about 1.5 miles south, south-west of longriggend

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
46 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

There are a lot of showers coming off the North Sea only just to the north and south of Edinburgh you couldn’t make this up lol 

The best snow shield going in Edinburgh

Its the Edinburgh divergence zone. ☹️

Anyway. TORP!

Edited by Sunny Leith
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I’m not sure about any red warnings simply because due to the lockdown far fewer people are commuting. The 2018 red warning I think was partly to shock people and employers to act.

Agree in the Euro4 @Stormeh - will be very pleasantly surprised if it comes off that way, will be glad with a few cms of snow which hang around for a while in low temps.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think the vaccine also has a role to play, if it's not safe to travel for it, which it clearly won't be then I think a red warning will be the way to go. 

I am hopeful of a red warning being issued last minute, especially with the drifting element too 

• Like 4

Posted

On the subject of the radar and satellite imagery, is that a genuine area of precipitation developing way up to the NE (at the rightmost limit if the radar) or is it an anomaly due to the clouds?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Good day fellow Scottie threaders and, well, what a splendid day it is. Beautifully sunny, crisp and clear, just what the doctor ordered. Strangely though, even with no cloud to my east and very little to the west, the BBC weather app tells me that it's snowing now and will continue to do so throughout the rest of the day. The Met Office app, meantime, says I'll be getting random snowfall at 10am, 2pm and 4pm tomorrow. What is the point of these things if they simply spew out pish day by day?

Temperature 1.9deg.C up from -3.2deg.C minimum at 07:56, humidity is 63%, wind 1 to 5mph easterly with a max gust of 13mph at 11:47, pressure is 1015.9 falling slowly, there's been no precipitation today, cloud cover is 1/8 and the dew point is at -4deg.C.

Looks like being a cracking day.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 minutes ago, doctormog said:

On the subject of the radar and satellite imagery, is that a genuine area of precipitation developing way up to the NE (at the rightmost limit if the radar) or is it an anomaly due to the clouds?

Looks genuine to me, an area of lighter stuff to the north of the main streamers.

I know most are still yearning for the 'main event' but I'm genuinely beginning to wonder more about when will be the next time I see my lawn? We even had to know the snow off of a few mature bushes this morning as they were being flattened completely by the weight. As my neighbour said yesterday, hopefully it will be a relatively slow thaw around here so that we don't end up with flooding issues.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 7

Posted

Hoping the streamers shift slightly.  We've had a couple of flurries today, but again as with this entire winter thus far nearly but not quite.  As has been for a decade almost (bar that event a couple of years ago).  

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

Nothing here since 9am... everything gone south of here.. radar looks empty for my location so game over by the looks of it..

Yeh it’s been heavy showers in Aberdeen on and off. North Sea looks primed for showers all day if we can hold onto the E/W track. You’ll get a few more I think maybe not heavy though 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Looks genuine to me, an area of lighter stuff to the north of the main streamers.

I know most are still yearning for the 'main event' but I'm genuinely beginning to wonder more about when will be the next time I see my lawn? We even had to know the snow off of a few mature bushes this morning as they were being flattened completely by the weight. As my neighbour said yesterday, hopefully it will be a relatively slow thaw around here so that we don't end up with flooding issues.

I guess time will tell. 

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

I thinkso too. I mean, look what's coming to this locale sometime soon 

bft.jpg

Even I've surfaced for this event.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Forth Estuary is gagging for it but flurries apart, being spurned by blobs and streamers to the north in Fife, and to Berwickshire in the south. Something going on in the 3-D dynamics this time that I don't understand. I normally give family and friends 3 or 4 days notice of these events when I'm convinced they're going to happen (anything to make me look clever about the weather LOL), but didn't this time - probably based on the relatively non-standard winter we've had . Something not quite right in the setup for us and not convinced its going to resolve significantly. Anyway, just TORPing in the absence of anything much happening here 

Edited by Sunny Leith
  • Like 5

Posted

Looks like most of the snow now will be across central Scotland.  It’s good to share.  Must admit we had a self proclaimed “snow day” this morning.  We didn’t have much but enough to have fun with the kids.   Great memory making in these odd times.  

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, GraemeB said:

*TOORP

Thanks Graeme. Not TOORPed for a while and christ I can't even get the acronym right after all this time. Bloody work from home Mondays 

• Like 5