Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Things seem to have slipped slightly south this morning so we probably won't get anything too spectacular from here onwards but perhaps the "Polar Low" will come good later in the week...  happy with what I've got at the moment.

• Like 5

Posted

Nothing here and not confident - all the warning are just east of here. A shame because I was just hoping for 1 small covering all winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
57 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Here are my thoughts on where and when the most frequent snow showers will occur across Scotland. Thinking Tayside will get most frequent snow showers today, this will slowly move south into south Tayside and into Fife this evening and overnight. By tomorrow morning most shower activity will be getting into parts of the central belt and by the end of tomorrow most showers will be moving through the central belt more. i expect 5-10cm for most, locally 20cm possible. 

basingstoke.PNG

Awww was hoping we’d get showers here until Tuesday  

• Like 2

Posted

No wonder the met office have issued an amber warning. I still think the snow depths they’re predicting are on the conservative side. Annoyingly I’m just outside the warning area but it’s a good sign that Glasgow isn’t too far away from the amber warning. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
13 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Measuring duty completed.

For the older generation the total is...

image.thumb.png.addbbf706e61cdccdb4ce7421a03dce7.png

And for the younger whippersnappers...

image.thumb.png.74875db0481970393073115542b544ab.png

Showers passing by the south of here, so plenty of sunshine at the moment.

With the light winds, feels lovely outside in the sun - temperature has continued to rise, now -0.5c.

We were being taught in metric from the first year primary in the mid 60s so you have to be pretty ancient (or uneducated?) not to know what a cm looks like!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, howham said:

Things seem to have slipped slightly south this morning so we probably won't get anything too spectacular from here onwards but perhaps the "Polar Low" will come good later in the week...  happy with what I've got at the moment.

Yeah, looking like we might just catch it as long as does not slip any further south.  Nearly here though....image.thumb.png.0539bb25bc46d912f0c19ae0d8edf925.pnglooks to me a good few hours of snow (there, that has bu$$ered it) - MetO have removed the snow symbols, which is usually a good sign for the opposite to happen...!)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
25 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Awww was hoping we’d get showers here until Tuesday  

We can still catch showers just frequency will likely be less and more intense further south... We are in the warning area for the latest Amber so that's good.... Or bad on recent met success

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
18 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

No wonder the met office have issued an amber warning. I still think the snow depths they’re predicting are on the conservative side. Annoyingly I’m just outside the warning area but it’s a good sign that Glasgow isn’t too far away from the amber warning. 

Me too - Freuchie makes it in (not quite as far as @Hawesy sadly!) but we must be a mile at most from it at this end of Coatbridge because Gartcosh is covered by it Can't argue too much about the placement (not that far from what I sent last night if I remember correctly albeit a little later?), I'd think Edinburgh on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning could end up with one, we could see this one extended a little north/south depending on changes and still time for a red warning within the area somewhere. 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

We can still catch showers just frequency will likely be less and more intense further south... We are in the warning area for the latest Amber so that's good.... Or bad on recent met success

what i think we will see is that whole area of showers out in the N sea will very slowly move S over time, but also heavier and more frequent snow showers mixed in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hhhhmmm : both BBC and Metoffice show near enough 24 hours of heavy snow here starting late afternoon / evening. That’s a ramp from them 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 hour ago, jon_d1983 said:

Most snow I’ve seen in a long time.

9E786BFD-FD1B-420B-9D46-6B3F8818876C.jpeg

Nothing here since 9am... everything gone south of here.. radar looks empty for my location so game over by the looks of it..

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Me too - Freuchie makes it in (not quite as far as @Hawesy sadly!) but we must be a mile at most from it at this end of Coatbridge because Gartcosh is covered by it Can't argue too much about the placement (not that far from what I sent last night if I remember correctly albeit a little later?), I'd think Edinburgh on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning could end up with one, we could see this one extended a little north/south depending on changes and still time for a red warning within the area somewhere. 

How’s it looking to the east of Edinburgh @LomondSnowstorm? Are we likely to be in the firing line at some stage in my neck of the woods? 

MetOffice app showing heavy snow/heavy snow showers here from this evening and most of tomorrow, but we aren’t in the amber warning area so not expecting too much. 

Edited by EastLothianSnow
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

We were being taught in metric from the first year primary in the mid 60s so you have to be pretty ancient (or uneducated?) not to know what a cm looks like!

And the conversion rate of inches to cms was still being taught as a refresher when I left school 5 decades later. 

You'd need to pretty young not to be able to do the conversions in your head 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Zerouali lives said:

A potential streamer to hit Aberdeen just before midday perhaps...

Yes potential to get a another good dumping. One of my customer has just sent their staff home from office in westhill as there is apparently heavy snow due later on towards end of business day ?‍♂️ Maybe they know something we don’t

image.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is it similar to a centipede? (I'm old too.)

• Like 3