Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
2 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Just a few light flakes blowing in the wind yesterday and a clear sunny morning here. Cold and the ground is frozen solid even if there is no real visible frost. 

Looks like a heavy shower just passed through Cumbernauld but it is now breaking up as it heads west. It’s just a touch too far north for me if it reaches this far west.

Indeed it did. Was a fairly decent shower for 15 minutes

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

The snow shower made it here, the roads/pavements are all white and the snow is blowing around - none of this marginal nonsense 

Yep same here, hopefully more of the same later 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

What about Edinburgh city

At the moment it seems the sweet spot is to the west of Edinburgh but I suspect tomorrow and perhaps into Wednesday Edinburgh should join in on the action. I think the Lothians as a whole should do pretty well. There’s still uncertainty about where exactly the streamers will set up - especially with regards to Edinburgh and Glasgow - but it seems very likely areas between Kirkcaldy and Cumbernauld could get absolutely hammered with snow. 

• Like 8

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Yep same here, hopefully more of the same later 

I’m 10 miles too far south!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Strange object spotted in the sky to the east this morning, forgotten its name it's kinda yellowish bit on the bright side ,anyway it's made an appearance after its quarantine,still some showers adding to the cover maybe 2 to 3 inches I'm not venturing out till that scary object in the sky goes I might melt T -0.6c dp-2c 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Well that was unexpected! Hopefully we can catch a few more of these rogue drifting snow clouds throughout the next few days as we are starved over here

825736EA-D6BD-4C4A-81A3-9576C2C5FD1C.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, MAXcrazystorm said:

Here are my thoughts on where and when the most frequent snow showers will occur across Scotland. Thinking Tayside will get most frequent snow showers today, this will slowly move south into south Tayside and into Fife this evening and overnight. By tomorrow morning most shower activity will be getting into parts of the central belt and by the end of tomorrow most showers will be moving through the central belt more. i expect 5-10cm for most, locally 20cm possible. 

basingstoke.PNG

and also, the colours mean nothing.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Here are my thoughts on where and when the most frequent snow showers will occur across Scotland. Thinking Tayside will get most frequent snow showers today, this will slowly move south into south Tayside and into Fife this evening and overnight. By tomorrow morning most shower activity will be getting into parts of the central belt and by the end of tomorrow most showers will be moving through the central belt more. i expect 5-10cm for most, locally 20cm possible. 

basingstoke.PNG

that pretty much alings with the Euro 4 although I think mid-west central belt could do ok. think today here will be dry and cold

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 5

Posted
47 minutes ago, NUT said:

Indeed it did. Was a fairly decent shower for 15 minutes

Grew up in Condorrat. Parents still live there. Here’s hoping I need to make an essential trip through to dig them out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Hard not to get 'that feeling' when any possible event here is still just potential and still 12-24hrs away. I'll take all arguments about how we've done OK so far this winter, and we have, but there is nothing that compares to the intensity you get from those easterly blown blizzards! If anything the couple of decent showers we've had have raised the anticipation. The waiting is torturous  

Same here. The key ingredients already look to be in place for us from Leith to Currie. "Convergence" is nice but I don't think we had to be under any convergence zone in previous easterlies to see some decent activity here. My open question is why aren't we just seeing more convective activity...more blobs...

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Hard not to get 'that feeling' when any possible event here is still just potential and still 12-24hrs away. I'll take all arguments about how we've done OK so far this winter, and we have, but there is nothing that compares to the intensity you get from those easterly blown blizzards! If anything the couple of decent showers we've had have raised the anticipation. The waiting is torturous  

You’d be better just enjoying the sunshine as I think that’s the weather we are getting for today and probably more joy with snow showers between tonight and Wednesday morning ❄️

• Like 2

Posted

I think that there was a blanket of frontal cloud over the Baltic this morning which limited the convection from there. And not quite cold enough for vigorous convection generally.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

It seems there are way more showers making it through to west of Glasgow than expected. We may much better than this than expected. There was zero forecast for snow today so that’s a good sign! No sign of any organised fronts coming off the east though very much “blobs” of precip more than anything sustained but plenty time for that to change I suspect! What is coming through is certainly of a fair intensity. 

image.jpg

• Like 5