Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
20 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I suspect we could end up with a couple of convergence lines, one more Tay based and one more Forth based, developing on that basis

Ugh,I'm having flashbacks!  

• Like 5

Posted

That last shower turned us from the remnants of yesterdays graupel on the ground, to totally white here so pleased to finally be joining in the snow cover for this period.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
36 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I think you’ve moved to Cumbernauld at the right time! I would be surprised if you saw less than 20cm and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more than 40cm between areas to the north east of Glasgow and Falkirk. Ultimately it depends on where the streamer sets up but it seems areas to the south west of the Forth will see frequent heavy snow showers. 

Another shower has now arrived here. 

Amazing the difference over such a short distance. There’s been nothing here on the south side all morning. Been very Sunny actually, looks lovely out there.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A few cm overnight here and the showers look loaded with snaw. A guid few days coming up. Currently -1.5C/-3C after an overnight low of -2.3C, so it's all sticking. ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
7 minutes ago, edo said:

Showers seem to be losing intensity out to sea as nearing land or am I seeing things

I think this will just come and go with individual 'blobs' really, the shower over us held up very well and us finally giving a covering here so I'd imagine things will pep up behind that. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Amazing the difference over such a short distance. There’s been nothing here on the south side all morning. Been very Sunny actually, looks lovely out there.

Bearsden seems to be in the very southern edge of the showers. The last shower was heavy but the sun was still visible with blue sky overhead. I’m positive some of the showers will track to south to reach more of the Glasgow area. 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

We've got some snow grains blown up against the kerbs but that's after flurries on and off since yesterday morning. 

There is a heavy shower tracking towards the Glasgow area now, if it makes it of course...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Also, nice amount of snow stacked up this morning here courtesy of these streamers. Pays to be in the right area, at right time on right track 

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ross B said:

We've got some snow grains blown up against the kerbs but that's after flurries on and off since yesterday morning. 

There is a heavy shower tracking towards the Glasgow area now, if it makes it of course...

Getting closer, now visible on the horizon from Clarkston....

IMG_20210208_091517.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
7 minutes ago, 101_North said:

-2.8c here. One decent but very short shower so far. Maybe 2mm on the ground now

Yeah so far very underwhelming, has certainly lacked the immediate impact of previous easterlies over the past decade or so. Seems like we maybe have 36-48 hours left to get something decent on the ground here from the East-ENE, but so far pretty frustrating.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, Sunny Leith said:

Yeah so far very underwhelming, has certainly lacked the immediate impact of previous easterlies over the past decade or so. Seems like we maybe have 36-48 hours left to get something decent on the ground here from the East-ENE, but so far pretty frustrating.

I think Tuesday night/Wednesday morning has some good potential for you guys, most models have the flow heading towards a proper northeasterly for a bit and with it not really getting so far inland, Edinburgh would be in a decent spot. I'd imagine you'll get a fair bit before then though too! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Light shower just started here. 

Errrr......

DA1C446B-41AA-4AEB-B9E9-B1FDE85A28E2.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Now in office @ Bannockburn, which looks to be the northern edge of this mornings showers. Just a sprinkling here, and flakes blowing in the wind. 

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an amber warning for many parts of central Scotland. Looking at some of the snow depth charts I think a red warning is a possibility - places such as Falkirk, Polmont, Bonnybridge, Denny, Grangenouth, Bo’ness, Linlithgow, Dunfermline, Rosyth, Cowdenbeath, Kilsyth and Cumbernauld could experience an event on the scale of the Beast from the East. Essentially anywhere south of south of Kincardine,  north of Moodiesburn, east of Lennoxtown and west of South Queensferry is in the firing line. 

Was thinking that looking at the charts. I’m in Bo’ness and waking up that morning in 2010 was absolutely jaw dropping! My profile picture is my back garden fence LOL. Snow is often rubbish here but when conditions are just right it can pay off. Wee dusting at the moment though. Nice to see the sunshine, the dug was a bit disorientated!! 

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Light shower just started here. 

Errrr......

DA1C446B-41AA-4AEB-B9E9-B1FDE85A28E2.jpeg1810543653_viewimage(14).thumb.png.8be8e8eac58c52c0766c1079b031a71f.png

1810543653_viewimage(14).thumb.png.8be8e8eac58c52c0766c1079b031a71f.png

(It's the same from 9am-then) 

Seems, unlikely to be rain

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted

Just a few light flakes blowing in the wind yesterday and a clear sunny morning here. Cold and the ground is frozen solid even if there is no real visible frost. 

Looks like a heavy shower just passed through Cumbernauld but it is now breaking up as it heads west. It’s just a touch too far north for me if it reaches this far west.

• Like 5

Posted
33 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an amber warning for many parts of central Scotland. Looking at some of the snow depth charts I think a red warning is a possibility - places such as Falkirk, Polmont, Bonnybridge, Denny, Grangenouth, Bo’ness, Linlithgow, Dunfermline, Rosyth, Cowdenbeath, Kilsyth and Cumbernauld could experience an event on the scale of the Beast from the East. Essentially anywhere south of south of Kincardine,  north of Moodiesburn, east of Lennoxtown and west of South Queensferry is in the firing line. 

What about Edinburgh city

• Like 2