Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Yep Blue sky, sunshine and cold to make up for the complete lack of snow Looking outside I'm not sure we caught so much as a light shower overnight

Similar here but looking at the forecast for tonight and into tomorrow I think it’ll be a different picture in the morning ❄️

• Like 9

Posted

A brief heavy snow shower has left a covering this morning. It’s encouraging to see the snow showers making decent progress inland with some making it to Dumbarton and Loch Fyne. The track seems to be ENE so showers around Kirkcaldy are moving into the Falkirk area, then towards Kilsyth/Cumbernauld then Bearsden/Clydebank. I think southern and western parts of Fife and Perth and Kinross, the Falkirk area, northern and western parts of West Lothian and northernmost areas of North Lanarkshire could see depths in the range of 25-50cm. Many parts of central Scotland and the borders could see 10-30cm. Let’s hope the streamers play ball later!

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

A brief heavy snow shower has left a covering this morning. It’s encouraging to see the snow showers making decent progress inland with some making it to Dumbarton and Loch Fyne. The track seems to be ENE so showers around Kirkcaldy are moving into the Falkirk area, then towards Kilsyth/Cumbernauld then Bearsden/Clydebank. I think southern and western parts of Fife and Perth and Kinross, the Falkirk area, northern and western parts of West Lothian and northernmost areas of North Lanarkshire could see depths in the range of 25-50cm. Many parts of central Scotland and the borders could see 10-30cm. Let’s hope the streamers play ball later!

Is Cumbernauld in the 30 to 50 cm , asking for a friend 

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Similar here but looking at the forecast for tonight and into tomorrow I think it’ll be a different picture in the morning ❄️

Meanwhile I'm happy to enjoy the sun as it's been a while

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, aggy said:

Is Cumbernauld in the 30 to 50 cm , asking for a friend 

I think you’ve moved to Cumbernauld at the right time! I would be surprised if you saw less than 20cm and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more than 40cm between areas to the north east of Glasgow and Falkirk. Ultimately it depends on where the streamer sets up but it seems areas to the south west of the Forth will see frequent heavy snow showers. 

Another shower has now arrived here. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The snow found some very creative ways of missing here overnight (actually both Freuchie and Coatbridge!), including splitting a shower north/south - looks like a pretty intense one heading down the M8 now though... 

The models have generally moved things a bit north as far as the main convergence lines go, generally sinking but holding a little more than yesterday evening, but I'm interested to see quite how far that holds because the flow is well primed for a Forth-Clyde streamer too and there's no lack of convection either. I suspect we could end up with a couple of convergence lines, one more Tay based and one more Forth based, developing on that basis

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Well Dunkeld has had some fall overnight; should have been waking up to that there

WWW.FARSONDIGITALWATERCAMS.COM

Hi-def webcam at Dunkeld offering up to the second live imagery on River Tay. With regular river reports from the area, and an extensive archive of images from the past days, months and even years, this is the...

That's the river view at Dunkeld House Hotel

Bloody typical

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I think you’ve moved to Cumbernauld at the right time! I would be surprised if you saw less than 20cm and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more than 40cm between areas to the north east of Glasgow and Falkirk. Ultimately it depends on where the streamer sets up but it seems areas to the south west of the Forth will see frequent heavy snow showers. 

Another shower has now arrived here. 

I did indeed 

interesting few days ahead for everyone 

• Like 2

Posted

Overnight low of -5.3c, now -4.1c; light winds.

Sporadic snow showers that last for a few minutes but cumulatively they've added about 3 inches of snow to the ground overnight, so the thickest snow cover in quite a few years 

Bird feeders smothered in birds, the Sparrowhawk is around though so they are very skittery.

image.thumb.png.621b92bcbf69e50b8e15b9a9126a10cc.png

Oh, and this is making a appearance between the showers for the first time in ages..

image.thumb.png.8f7297f5b6d2d04c487e955d86d3ca81.png

Edit - also some mutant Wood Pigeons, they are absolutely enormous, usually stick to the fields and woods round here so they are hungry coming down to the feeders.

image.thumb.png.2bc130699cc0cfb6cf1c458eaaf4ea26.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

What's it like up around Perth Airport? Have an engineer due to be there today? 

Be fine scone is about 3 miles as the crow flies behind me, roads are gritted and cleared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Showers seem to be losing intensity out to sea as nearing land or am I seeing things

• Like 4