Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
40 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Spot on Ben.. got it in one.

Meanwhile on the ECM by next Monday we get a lower latitude Scandi High...

image.thumb.png.da5c09196530ac4b964ce0fd3d926fd9.png

Not to worry, it's soon off on it's travels, definitely something to keep watching. Real deal Easterly still firmly in the mix.

image.thumb.png.5b573a8e547dec197ae0a95155ea9cab.png

I've been up there quite a bit the past few weeks and it always holds the snow better than here. Seems it clung onto the snow there long after it turned to rain here.....plus of course they got as much as we did on Mon Tues Weds. 

Grand, thanks v much for that

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
24 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

706601750_viewimage(12).thumb.png.e939172eb7bb6c10d2a0657b782165e3.png

Seems to be fairly well on track, I've noticed a bit of a southward correction generally which I think is associated with a bit more of a northerly tilt to the flow, hard to pin down but certainly more than enough snow to go around for all of us ❄️

Seems a bit too 'experimental' - the north-west Highlands aren't going to get pasted like that. Or, at least, it would be rather strange. But not unwelcome!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Temp up a tad.   DP down considerably!  Dry here at the moment.

Screenshot_2021-02-07 FifeWeather co uk - Live Dials(1).png

Central belt sandwich anyone?

Screenshot_2021-02-07 rain UK - rain Ireland - rain Scotland - rain Wales - 5 minute rainradar UK and Ireland, where will i[...].png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Bit of a lull between streamers here. No lying snow to report in Freuchie (if I was there I'd be annoyed that Coatbridge got lying snow, albeit a dusting, before us ) but that next blob has Dundee/Fife north of the Lomonds' name all over it...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

I took an old Defender 90 for a test drive around 2014. There was 2 foot of snow around the hills of Echt and the Defender breezed through it.

Remarkably, I didn't have to use the diff locks and it was running on normal road tyres. Most heavy 4 x 4s I've driven are prone to sliding, particularly if its icy. Might tyres be the issue?

2 hours ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Aye, every car is a 4x4 with the brakes on.

Why not get a set of wheels (second hand?) with winter tyres for it? Or snow + mud if you are off-road a lot. I've got a set of 'all seasons' on some alloys for the winter which are not full winter, but manage the snaw/rain/cauld/mild of Scotland in winter, and a set of full on sports summers alloys. Can swap them myself one by one with a regular jack.

As for the rugby, I got an Irish passport so I could support a team that wins stuff sometimes. As soon as I did that, Scotland qualified for the Euros and then won the Calcutta cup at twickenham.

EDIT

Wee dods ae yellae in some o' they blobs heidin ma way.

You're both right, even in a 4x4 it's the tyres that matter. Thing is, my current chunky tyres are 33" x 10" with 19mm tread depth and cost around £90 each. There aren't winter tyres that size. Nearest would be 30" x 8.5" with 8mm tread depth and they cost between two and three times as much for decent ones. The chains cost £35 each. No second set of wheels needed.

Shame Ireland lost but a good game to watch.

Weather update: It's dark now.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Seems a bit too 'experimental' - the north-west Highlands aren't going to get pasted like that. Or, at least, it would be rather strange. But not unwelcome!

It does seem a lot of that is what it, for some reason, assumes is there now - presumably some of the peaks have close to those depths but even with a 1.5km resolution it's probably putting it in a significantly wider area than it should be.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Checked the radar looks like plenty of showers packing in Edinburgh / borders and then North of Perth....few making inroads west.

With the exception of some Forth-Clyde stuff (already!) it isn't getting too far west. I do think it's getting a bit further west than forecast though, and more streams to the south of the central belt than the models had for today, so I wouldn't be too disheartened - the west and southward extent on the UKV keeps growing run on run...

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Sounds like decent winter tyres would help. Pirelli Scorpion all terrain plus would do the job nicely.

Sorry, missed this, but as above.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

With the exception of some Forth-Clyde stuff (already!) it isn't getting too far west. I do think it's getting a bit further west than forecast though, and more streams to the south of the central belt than the models had for today, so I wouldn't be too disheartened - the west and southward extent on the UKV keeps growing run on run...

I am more than happy if we can get some very low temps.... I have learnt it so difficult to get the correct set up here for snow. I enjoy the pics videos and commentary. Cold crisp frosty is all I expect..Snaw be a bonus

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Benvironment said:

Ooo, can you ask them whereabouts that is? Looks a bit like Innerdouny Hill, but with spruce plantations in the Ochils you never can tell

Got a day off tomorrow so want to head to the where the best local snow is. While we do get snow here from these set ups we also seem to sit in a weird blank spot that only ever gets clipped, rather than dumped. We did okay in 2010 but it was Edinburgh and the Lothians that sat under the showers for days and got pummelled. Then in 2018 it was east Fife, Lochore Meadows, Cowdenbeath that got the lion's share but also right along the Tay got it too. I vivdly remember being up on East Lomond on 28th Feb, under blue skies, watching streamers pile along the Tay and the Forth...with us in the middle, wondering what all the fuss was about 

P1170555.thumb.jpg.f5e80b2e3d4f994baaec0d11c56640a0.jpg

Yep, I remember that in 2018 too.  It was like sitting in the cleft of a forked stick and watching the inbound streamers split to go north and south of us with just a smattering left over as scant consolation.

Hopefully this time will be different.

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Central belt sandwich anyone?

Screenshot_2021-02-07 rain UK - rain Ireland - rain Scotland - rain Wales - 5 minute rainradar UK and Ireland, where will i[...].png

This is a clear wind up. All these snow showers stop exactly on the East Ayrshire boundary. I'm getting the slipper out and then someone is getting the blitzened bahoochie.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Despite what the radar is suggesting, there’s no snowfall worthy of the name here in Glasgow. A few flurries blown around in the wind and that’s it.

Needs something far more substantial and possibly a slight change in direction for us to get anything I think.

• Like 8

Posted
7 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

This is a clear wind up. All these snow showers stop exactly on the East Ayrshire boundary. I'm getting the slipper out and then someone is getting the blitzened bahoochie.

How did you do in BFTE 2018..?  I worked in strathaven and level snow was over a foot deep, drifts were several feet. West of Darvel had very little.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
27 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Bit of a lull between streamers here. No lying snow to report in Freuchie (if I was there I'd be annoyed that Coatbridge got lying snow, albeit a dusting, before us ) but that next blob has Dundee/Fife north of the Lomonds' name all over it...

About time they had perths name on it

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, edo said:

About time they had perths name on it

Apologies, naturally Perth is included in that too

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Damn, damn & damn

Really coming down in Pitlochry now:

WWW.PITLOCHRYWEBCAM.CO.UK

Pitlochry High Street webcam, see pitlochry live. This is what Pitlochry looks like.

• Like 6

Posted
28 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

How did you do in BFTE 2018..?  I worked in strathaven and level snow was over a foot deep, drifts were several feet. West of Darvel had very little.

In February 2018 I was living and working in Inverness, except I wasn't, I was in Raigmore Hospital. Inverness had next to no snow down at sea level, a couple of inches of snow up at the hospital, which was half way up the escarpment that Inverness stands on, and at the top of the hill there were people digging out the people that were digging out the snowplows. No idea what it was like in Ayrshire.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just had a decent shower after a bit of a dry spell. Started off with heavy graupel then went to large feathery flakes. Hopefully some more lining up in the North Sea will take this track.

• Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Places like Greenock and Dumbarton in the west  were pasted in BFTE 2018... This is a much tamer affair

BFTE in 2018 was a once in a lifetime event for most. extremely rare for the uppers and the time of year it occurred. it has only just begun though and plenty of time for things to develop. No point saying tame at the moment, was always forecasted to start properly for most tomorrow. Today was predominantly snow for folk further north 

• Like 6