Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Just now, Puffy MacCloud said:

I won't be driving tomorrow either. Another coo's nest building up.

Rugby!!   Is that the field game where they play with an egg shaped ball?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

It is a Defender, an older one, pre traction control and ABS, and it is just about unstoppable, which is exactly the problem. It will go just about anywhere but in 2, 3, or 4 inches of snow it's really hard to stop. Like a two ton toboggan. I'm hoping the chains might help. I like the colour too. I call it blue.

The rugby is good. Wales looked surprisingly competent early on but Ireland, despite or is it because of having an 84 year old stand off, are now controlling the game. Stamina will decide who wins, and I don't care who it is as long as it's not Wales.

Sounds like decent winter tyres would help. Pirelli Scorpion all terrain plus would do the job nicely.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Rugby!!   Is that the field game where they play with an egg shaped ball?

aka the game for men with over-sized testicles. Grunt grunt.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

Sounds like decent winter tyres would help. Pirelli Scorpion all terrain plus would do the job nicely.

Yep, good winter rated all terrains are the way forward. I have chains for my Hilux but it only ever gets stuck on BF Goodrich All Terrains when the snow builds up underneath and lifts the wheels clear of the ground so never bother with them. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Mair Snaw said:

Ive just promised Mrs Snaw a good 6 inches by the end of the night..

Stay off the beers just in case

• Like 7

Posted

A heavier snow shower has left a slight dusting which bodes well for later. The charts are showing Monday night into Tuesday as the period most likely to produce for central areas. 

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

It is a Defender, an older one, pre traction control and ABS, and it is just about unstoppable, which is exactly the problem. It will go just about anywhere but in 2, 3, or 4 inches of snow it's really hard to stop. Like a two ton toboggan. I'm hoping the chains might help. I like the colour too. I call it blue.

The rugby is good. Wales looked surprisingly competent early on but Ireland, despite or is it because of having an 84 year old stand off, are now controlling the game. Stamina will decide who wins, and I don't care who it is as long as it's not Wales.

I took an old Defender 90 for a test drive around 2014. There was 2 foot of snow around the hills of Echt and the Defender breezed through it.

Remarkably, I didn't have to use the diff locks and it was running on normal road tyres. Most heavy 4 x 4s I've driven are prone to sliding, particularly if its icy. Might tyres be the issue?

• Like 5